Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kelso85 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 25, 2010, 08:19 AM
    Joint Custody, What happens if 1 parent is involved in accidental death ?
    I currently share joint custody of my 6 year old daughter. Her father has her every other weekend. I am currently living with my boyfriend of 2 years- if I were to die tomorrow, who is entitled to the responsibility of my daughter ?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Oct 25, 2010, 08:48 AM

The birth father would be responsible upon your death. Unless your b/f has legally adopted her and the birth father has signed over his rights, then the b/f would take over.

Tick
    Kelso85 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 25, 2010, 08:49 AM
    Comment on tickle's post
    Well that Sucks ! Lol, Is there anyway I can change that ? I know her Father won't give over his rights, and would only be unfair out of spite...
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Oct 25, 2010, 09:03 AM

If he won't voluntarily relinquish, then your ONLY change of terminating his parental rights is to PROVE that he is an unfit parent.

By that, I'm talking about neglect, abuse, etc. Not just that he's not the guy or father you wanted him to be--actual PROOF that he'd be a danger to your child.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Oct 25, 2010, 09:16 AM

Whatever is best for the child. Has her father ever reneged on taking her for his weekend; has he ever shown anything but love for his daughter. This isn't just a spite thing, this is serious business taking a lot of soul searching. It isn't about you and him. As Synnen said, you would have to prove him an unfit parent and have his rights terminated. And if that isn't true, it would be a really rotten thing to do to your daughter, not having a loving, caring parent to turn to when you are gone.

Tick

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pre-trial, Joint Custody Vs Sole custody fight, witness [ 14 Answers ]

My two sons are currently staying with my ex-wife and I have 2 days a week interim access order in British Columbia, Canada, I stay with my parents. I have pre-trial coming up in about two months. I requested to have joint custody, but she only wants sole. There isn't any danger to my kids from me...

Noncustodial parent with joint legal custody [ 19 Answers ]

I am a father with primary physical custody and joint legal custody of twin 16 year old daughters. My ex-wife is moving out of state and they want to go with her. I told my daughters that I would not fight it if that is what they want to do. Here is the question. Can their mom go and withdraw...

Rights of non custodial parent in a divorce wherein death occurred to custodial parent [ 2 Answers ]

Non custodial non US citizen parent (father) lives in Mexico. Custodial parent of two minor children (5 years old and 1 year old) is US citizen in Illinois. Divorce papers named father but set forth no requirements or terms for visitation, child support etc. There has been little if any contact...

Joint custody/joint physcial custody [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I got married in 1993, we separated in 1996, got back together in the same year, My now ex-husband file for divorce in 2000, I did not respond to the divorce, I did not respond due to not getting an court date to appear (divorce papers were served to me while living with ex at the time) due...

View more questions Search