Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Gharrobin Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 5, 2007, 04:28 PM
    Building UP on a ranch
    Hi. We are looking at a ranch that was built in 1948. It has no basement. The current structure is 2400 square feet, hardwood floors and seems pretty solid. How do we get a ballpark on how much it would cost to build up. THere is some room to build out, but I am not sure we could get what we want. We currently have a 2-story 4800 square foot home that we love, but this is in a much better proximity to the school that our three children attend. We are trying to see if this is a $80,000 project or something much higher. I know it is hard to say, but is there any rule of thumb or any other guidelines to this? The current structure has a kitchen, open to a family room and 'Florida room' with three bedrooms and an office. We'd like to keep that structure, with some enlargement to the kitchen and add at least 4 bedroooms on the top floor. Any thoughts? I am planning getting an architect and/or a builder to come out, but I would like to know if it is even possible to look at this alternative. We have room to spend about $400,000 but that would include probably $80,000 upgrade outside (there is an old pool and an unkept pond) and that would also include all expenses, "soup to nuts" and decorating. We currently have a wonderful house that we love with a renovated $80,000 kitchen and we'd like to keep the same type of lifestyle.

Thanks, G
    Flying Blue Eagle Posts: 2,056, Reputation: 225
    Ultra Member

Oct 24, 2007, 08:43 PM
    GHARROBIN- I WAS GOING TO GIVE INPUT TO THIS EARLIER BUT WAS IN HOSP. WITH PHNOM. MY THOUGHS WOULD be to build up on back of the house. There is going to be a huge amount of additional weight that the org. structure would be able to handle , plus your building codes will probley not permit it. First thing to do would be to check the building code for your location at city hall, or county court house, if not there the state capitol.codes are different from one place to another I do know that local building for here wouild not permit it .second I would contact a licensed contractor in your local to come out and have apow wow with you, he should know the building codes for your local,then get with a Architect to draw up the plans, then get with the builder again and go from thereon price, etc.ect. Wish you a good day and GOD Bless, good luck. F.B.E. P.S. also check about -WOULD YOU BE OUT BUILDING THE NEIGHBORHOOD ,and would you ever be able to recoup if you ever had to sell? :::::
    Flying Blue Eagle Posts: 2,056, Reputation: 225
    Ultra Member

Oct 25, 2007, 05:57 PM
    HEY KEN (KBC) I'm not out of the woods yet if my fever starts back more lung specilest said Ihe was going to put me back in hospital. Thanks for your comment though , I really needed it. This is the 4th. Time I've had the phno. This year .Im glad to be back. If doctor does put me back in Ill tell mowerman2468 to let youall know THANKS F.B.E.
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Oct 25, 2007, 06:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying Blue Eagle
    HEY KEN (KBC) I'm not out of the woods yet if my fever starts back more lung specilest said Ihe was going to put me back in hospital. thanks for your comment though , I really needed it. this is the 4th. time ive had the phno. this year .Im glad to be back. if doctor does put me back in Ill tell mowerman2468 to let youall know THANKS F.B.E.
    Lots of liquids huh?

And , hey, stay off the beers,, LOL

Keep commin back,

Ken

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ranch additions [ 2 Answers ]

My home is a 1000 square foot ranch with a breezeway and attached approx. 24x24 ft 2 car garage. What I'm wondering is what the cost would be to put on an unfinished second story across the whole house. I know that the foundation for my garage is good for a 2 story structure. Also the cost of an...

Add character to front of ranch house [ 2 Answers ]

My '70's vintage ranch house is plain in front. Flat-screen look with no architectural detail to add interest at the front door What can be done within reason to spice it up with an architectural feature. Roof is standard with good eave overhangs.

Cathedral ceilings in a ranch [ 3 Answers ]

I just bought my grandmothers 1960 ranch. I would like to install a cathedral ceiling in the living room area, is this possible for a Do it yourselfer? It has bolted 2x6 W truss roof I am looking to do approx 15 foot wide section. Would a wall out of 2x4's for the sheet rock at the center beam be...

Adding A Second Floor To A Large Ranch [ 12 Answers ]

Hello, I hope your day is going well and thank you in advance for helping me. My brother passed away and my mother really needs me around so we came up with an idea of adding a second floor to the family home. It's an oversized ranch. It's fairly large to begin with but I can't exactly start...

View more questions Search