Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SaandraaZ Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 6, 2008, 01:43 PM
    BAD Marriage after 1 year
    I've been married for 1 year (8/22/08). I had a petition through my father on January 14, 1998. This made my "work permit" possible. We are mexico and my father never became a citizen even after being legal for 30+ years. He was an alcoholic, I should also say, that he was abusive (mentally, physically and sexually) to the 3 oldest of us 7 kids. I was raised in the US since I was three years of age, unfortunately my mother took us to Mexico :( from 1985-1987 therefore; making us ineligible for the Amnesty Act of 1985. My question is: "Since I've only been married for a year", How long do I have to be married in order to "earn" my permanent status or obtain my 10 year resident card. We dated for over 8 years and all of the sudden he became so verbal abusive, I don't know how long I can stand it! I am so stressed out and at this point I just feel it's taking the best of me. I met him in 1999 and he knew I had 3 kids (ages 17,15 and 11) he is divorce and has 4 kids (14, 12&12, 6); now this is the main problem in our relationship my children, well on his part. I married him because I love him, but I love my children more! I don't know what to do? I guess I should stop worrying about being "documented" and worry about my children. But, if I'm worried about my children, I need to worry about what I will feed them, how I will clothe them, in addition to having a roof over their heads. I do not want to be on AFDC! I want to be productive, I want to go to school and be "someone". I did not choose to come here and break the law, I knew no different! Please help with some advice, I don't know what else to do or where to go.
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

Aug 6, 2008, 05:39 PM
    If you obtain permanent status through marriage with US citizen, after you receive 2 years conditional green card, you must jointly file a removal of condition at the end of 2 years. If you get divorce before 2 years, your status will automatically be terminated unless you have sufficient proofs to submit to USCIS that you are victim of domestic abuse.

You should consult experienced immigration attorney in order to start collecting evidence needed either to file jointly or to file separately as victim of domestic abuse, if this applies to you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Want to divorce after 1 year marriage, wife wants house [ 6 Answers ]

A friend of mine married only 1 year ago, and now wants to divorce, but added his wife's name to the house ownership. How can he get out of the marriage and still maintain ownership of his house. The woman has not contributed to the mortgage financially or in any other way. And not currently work....

Marriage - 10 year age difference [ 8 Answers ]

I am 43 female Christian from USA. He is 33 male Muslim from India. Should we marry. I am concerned about the age and faith difference.

In our 2nd year of marriage - is it always this hard? [ 12 Answers ]

Hi all - my husband and I have been married for 2 years - in May. We have 2 wonderful daughters the oldest is 4 and the youngest is 2. He and I met 13 years ago. Throughout this time he and I have dated on and off and always seemed to have a strong connection. We had our 1st child then got...

On H1 for 1.5 year.wife comes in 2008, but marriage in 2007 [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I am on H-1 since June 06. I got married on 30th Dec 07. And my wife came to USA on 1st Feb.'08. Can I claim her as dependent and ask for deductible? How should I file as file jointly or consider her as dependent?

How do I spice up my 12 year marriage? [ 7 Answers ]

My husband and I have been married for 12 yrs, have raised 3 children ages 25, 21, and 9. We have had our share of problems. We almost divorced once after separating several times. I have cancer and recently lost my hair from chemotherapy. I have had a total mastectomy. I am 40 and not as cute...

View more questions Search