Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    thebicman Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Apr 14, 2007, 11:43 PM
    Can I Tile over an acrylic shower pan?
    I am in the process of replacing a shower... have removed all old tile, cleaned out mold, and was hoping to pull out the shower pan and put in tile. I have been attempting to get the drain out but now after reading this website I realize that may be a bit more difficult than I had hoped.

Is it possible to leave the acrylic pan in place and tile over it instead of removing it? Could I put a cement "Hardibacker" type of board over the pan and tile as normal? Or would I never be able to adhere the board onto the pan?

Any ideas before I destroy what is left of my bathroom?

Thanks.

Steve
    pergammano Posts: 82, Reputation: 8

Apr 15, 2007, 04:38 AM
    As a tiler by trade, if a customer asked me to do this, I would say "no." I would be really concerned about the flex of the shower pan, even though you screw in hardibacker. I am afraid you will have cracking and serious water leaks.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ceramic tile shower pan on concrete floor [ 1 Answers ]

Do I need to do anything special like I would if it was on a wooden floor on this new shower I want to build in my basement. I am tiling the floor and 2 walls... neo-angle style.. The drain is 12 inchesfrom each of the back walls... this is my first foray into the HELP DESK... I searched awhile but...

Dirty tile or shower pan that won't drain? [ 4 Answers ]

We recently finished construction of a new home. In two of the showers, the grout lines in the tiled shower floors are continually black (white was the original color). This happened immediately. Thinking it was dirt we tried to clean the floors with aggressive acidic cleaners with no success. ...

Removing a Shower Tile Pan on a concrete slab (Basement) [ 3 Answers ]

I am trying to figure out the best way to remove a tiled shower pan from my shower in the basement. I am planning on replacing the floor pan with a pre-fabricated version. I am presuming that I remove the existing tile with a chisel and hammer, my concern is how do I make the area level once I...

Replace concre-tile shower with new shower pan [ 1 Answers ]

I am replacing my concrete-tile shower with swanstone 32x60L shower base. The new drain location will be around 4" away from the original drain location. What should I do? Can I use the existing P-trap with the new drain location by connecting them using a horizontal PVC pipe? Or do I have to...

Installing new tile on top of shower pan [ 2 Answers ]

I am going to be installing tile over durock cement board which sits on the top edge of my shower pan and just slightly over hangs into shower pan. Should I rest the starter row of tiles down on the cultured marble shower pan which has a 1/2 in lip or should I leave maybe 1/8 gap and if so what do...

View more questions Search