Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JohninChicago Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 11, 2007, 07:06 AM
    Shower Stall tile floor
    I converted a standard tub area with a tiled shower stall. The floor of the shower stall is tile. Under the floor tile the guys that did the work put cement board and then laid the tile directly on the cementboard. The grout keeps coming out and some of the tiles are loose. We pried them out, replaced them and regrouted but the problem continues. I do not want to rip out the entire floor of the shower. Is there a way to regrout, and then seal that floor so that moisture will not get through it? Is there some product that will work to keep the grout from breaking up? Thanks
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 11, 2007, 12:33 PM
    Who ever did the original floor job cut a lot of corners. Your cement board has a tiny bit of movement and flexing so the grout will always come out and no amount of caulk will help. If you want it done right you need to rip it out down to the wood floor. Check the web for sites that explain shower pan installation or redi-made shower floors. Try this one for a start Repairing Leaking Shower Pan

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tile Shower stall leaking [ 5 Answers ]

I installed a shower stall a year ago. It has begun to leak. It is on the second floor, and I was able to open the ceiling just below it to see. The water is leaking from around the drain itself. The shower stall pan was installed with a poly sheet.. according to the directions... so that...

Stall shower (tile floor instilation) [ 9 Answers ]

I am replacing a tile floor in a stall shower. I hve come across two (2) products that are used under the tile. The tile would be cemented to the product used.One product is called HARDIBACKER and the other product is CEMENT BOARD. I am at a lose as too which product is better. Does anyone have...

Leaking Tiled Shower Stall Floor Drain... [ 1 Answers ]

We had our shower stall replaced in 1998 due to the pan beneath the tile leaking... a new liner and re-tile job was done... well, now there is a wet spot below in the same spot and after opening the ceiling, I find that the plastic fitting going into the plastic floor hub is leaking. Looks like the...

Shower Stall is leaking through the floor [ 11 Answers ]

I have a stand up shower on the second floor of the house. We've had two chronic issues lately. The hot water faucet is difficult to shut off and sometimes takes a lot of pressure to shut off Second, the shower often fills with water and is slow to drain. Last night we developed a...

First Floor Shower Tile Leak [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I Just Got My Shower Re-done And Its All Tile Top To Bottom. We Have Tile Floor. We Have A Leak Where The Tile From The Floor Meets The Tile Step To The Shower, I Looked And Saw A Hole In The Grout Where I Think It Is Coming From. We Don't Hear Any Constant Running Water Or Anything, Is It...

View more questions Search