Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kosan Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2007, 06:39 AM
    Banging/Tapping Noise when turning on faucet/flushing toilet
    Hi guys!

In addition to my little problem with my toilet posted in another thread (can fix it easily), I have another issue.

Every time I use the upstairs shower/toilets/sink, when running water, a loud banging/tapping noise appears. When you turn it off, the banging noise still appears after about 5 seconds, then stops. I assume that water is trying to go through the pipes but something is getting stuck.

Any help as to the cause and ways to solve it?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 26, 2007, 07:15 AM
    Knocking, popping, creaking and crackling pipes are a common complaint, especially in colder weather. I can tell you what's happening and take the mystery out of it but you're not going to like the repair. When a draw is made on a hot water line the line expands against a pipe strap next to a stud and when you drain hot water from your tub or shower it goes into a chase that is a little cooler then room temperature. The heat expands the pipe causing it to rub against the stud to which it is pipe strapped. This is the sound you hear. As it cools it contracts and the noise is heard again. To repair it you must tear open the walls and locate the pipe strap that's causing the problem and shim it tight. Most people when they learn what causes it just elect to live with it. Regards, Tom
    kosan Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2007, 07:20 AM
    Thanks Tom - What are the effects of not fixing it? Typically, would this get progressively worse to the point of it causing other damages?

I'm willing to live with it if in most cases, will not cause further damage.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 26, 2007, 07:26 AM
    Most people elect to just live with it or make it a conversion piece once the mystery's been removed. It will not get worse, in fact it will get better with warm weather. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Knocking noise when flushing toilet [ 2 Answers ]

We've replaced the flapper, and flushing valve approx. a month ago. Ever since when it is flushed there is a loud knocking noise in the water line. Does anyone know what we can do to fix the problem? It's pretty loud. Thanks, in advance!

Noise after flushing toilet [ 6 Answers ]

Few months ago we've noticed that after flushing the toilet and after the tank feels with water, we hear a rumbling noise in the pipes for few seconds. Then the noise disappeared for few weeks and now it's back every time we flush the toilet. Any suggestions on what should be done to fix this...

Banging basement toilet pump noise [ 1 Answers ]

We have a submerged holding tank for toilet and sink waste coming from a basement apartment. Every time the tank empties, there is a loud bang when the pump stops. It seems that the pipes shake, and we are concerned that this will stress the system. Is this normal, and if not, what can we do to...

Toilet making banging noise [ 5 Answers ]

When I flush my toilet the supply line makes a banging noise. I thought hammer happens when you turn the flow off. I tried to drain the pipes to empty the air chambers but no luck. The house is about 15 years old with copper plumbing. Thanks for any help.

Loud noise when flushing toilet [ 1 Answers ]

There is a loud noise when I flush my toilet. I have learned that turning on the bath water causes the loud noise to not occur, or to stop mid noise. The noise seems to getting louder and longer with time. I appreciate any assistance troubleshooting this problem.

View more questions Search