Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rayyrayy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 20, 2007, 10:08 AM
    Algebra II solving with quadratic functions
    Ok so I have failed to complete any of the word problems given to me in my Algebra II book, because I can not figure out how to manipulate the equations to get the correct information.

First problem I sort of figured but I'm still having trouble.

1. Find two numbers whose product is 120 and whose sum is a minimum.

I got - -

(x) * (120/x) = 120 so Sum(x) = x + 120/x which is right but how do I figure out whether it is a minimum or a maximum?? Do I put it into the formula y = a(x - h)^2 + k?? And if so how?

I'm trying to use the information from this problem to solve the next one which is NOT going well each time I come up against difficulties.

2. Find two numbers who difference is 8 and who product is a minimum. (let x = the first number and x + 8 = the second number)

Help me please I've spent 3 useless days on this problem, and now my life seems meaningless.
    red_cartoon Posts: 52, Reputation: 6

Nov 20, 2007, 10:34 AM
    Do you have any constraints like your results must be integers or something like that ?

Are you allowed to use calculus ? If you are, then differentiate the expressions you have figured out , look for a minima. Hope it helps.
    terryg752 Posts: 197, Reputation: 4

Nov 20, 2007, 05:23 PM
    1. Let numbers be x, 120/x

Sum = y = x + 120/x

For minimum, dy/dx = 0, d^2y/dx^2 is positive.

dy/dx = 1 - 120/x^2

= 0 if x^2 = 120

x = sqrt (120)

d^2y/dx^2 = 240/x^3

At x = sqrt(120), d^2y/dx^2 is positive.

Hence x = sqrt (120) gives a minimum.

The other number = 120/x = sqrt (120)

Numbers are sqrt (120), sqrt (120)

Do similar procedure for second problem.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Nov 20, 2007, 10:05 PM
    I think you guys blew Ray away. Algebra II comes before Calculus. You might be scareing the poor person.

It does sound like a Calculus problem to me too.

Nov 21, 2007, 01:47 AM
    really, I am sorry then. I guessed so, that's why asked whether you are allowed to use calculus or not. Anyway, here is a non-calculus solution for you second question.

say one of the numbers is x and the other is x+8. Then their product p will be,

p=x*(x+8)
    = x^2 + 8x
    = x^2 + 2*x*4 + 4^2 - 4^2
    = ( x + 4 )^2 - 4^2

-4^2 here is a constant. So we have to rely on ( x + 4 )^2 for the minimization task at hand. Since this is a squared term, the minimum value it can obtain is 0. From this reasoning we can say,

( x + 4 )^2 = 0
    or, x + 4 = 0
    or, x = -4

using this result you can find the other number, x+8 = 4.

So the numbers you were looking for are 4 and -4.

Hope this helps you :)
    Uber Member

Nov 21, 2007, 08:41 AM
    Red:

The question stated "in my Algebra II book". Implicitly, that means no Calculus.

Nov 21, 2007, 08:47 AM
    Yeah, you are right. I should have understood that. But since I am not familiar with 'Algebra II' book, I decided to take a chance. In what class/standard/stage do they teach Algebra II ? High school ?
    pskinner Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 21, 2007, 08:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rayyrayy
    Ok so I have failed to complete any of the word problems given to me in my Algebra II book, because I can not figure out how to manipulate the equations to get the correct information.

First problem I sort of figured but I'm still having trouble.

1. Find two numbers whose product is 120 and whose sum is a minimum.

I got - -

(x) * (120/x) = 120 so Sum(x) = x + 120/x which is right but how do I figure out whether it is a minimum or a maximum??? Do I put it into the formula y = a(x - h)^2 + k ??? and if so how?

I'm trying to use the information from this problem to solve the next one which is NOT going well each time I come up against difficulties.

2. Find two numbers who difference is 8 and who product is a minimum. (let x = the first number and x + 8 = the second number)

Help me please I've spent 3 useless days on this problem, and now my life seems meaningless.

The numbers are x and 120-x, so those are the number to put into:

x*(120-x)=120.

For a good explanation of how to solve this or any quadratic equation, go to:
    Free Online Quadratic Equation Solver: Solve by Most Efficient Method
    Uber Member

Nov 21, 2007, 08:29 PM
    A long, long, long time ago, I remember algebra, algebra I, algebra II, Geometry, Pre-calc, Calculus, differential equations. With logic, statistics and probability thrown in someplace.

There is overlap, but it definitely progressed in that order.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Quadratic Equations... Problem Solving [ 6 Answers ]

A ball is thrown straight up. Its height, h(in metres), after t seconds is give by h= -5t^2+10t+2. To the nearest tenth of a second, when is the ball 6m above the ground? Explain why there are two answers. I don't know how to manipulate the formula and how to solve for this problem. Second...

Solving quadratic functions [ 1 Answers ]

trying to find the max or min value and the x- and y-intercepts for 5.93x^2-3.135x-5.7 5.69x^2-3.135-5.87

Quadratic solving [ 6 Answers ]

The annual yield per lemon tree is fairly constant at 320 pounds when the number of trees per acre is 50 or fewer. For each additional tree over 50, the annual yield per tree for all trees on the acre decreases by 4 pounds due to overplanting. Find the number of trees that should be planted on an...

!Quadratic prblem solving! [ 5 Answers ]

I have a couple questions to ask and I really need to know them within two days: 1) WHen a projectile is fired, the vertical component of its initial velocity is such that its height h, in metres, t seconds after firing is given by h= 250t - 4.9t^2. Is it possible for the projectile to reach a...

View more questions Search