Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    irishod89 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 1, 2007, 11:50 AM
    Lab puppy not drinking water
    My 9 week old yellow lab has had problems with diarrhea and dehydration. She has been to the vet twice and twice was given fluids to help with the dehydration. She also was put on some antibiotics. As per the vets advice I have been feeding her rice with a little beef to try and help settle her stomach. She still has soft stool/diarrhea every time she goes. She refuses to drink water or pedialyte or anything. Other than the not drinking and the diarrhea, she behaves like a normal active puppy. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should do? Thanks in advance for your help
    450donn Posts: 1,821, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Nov 1, 2007, 12:33 PM
    Ouch, sounds like there is a problem with the water. Maybe she likes it cold, or warm, or fresh, or stale? Have you tried some different things. My last Lab loved ice cubes, and would eat a couple of pounds of them at one sitting if we let him. Might try that?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 1, 2007, 12:36 PM
    I would stay in touch with the vet. You may even think about checking with a second vet if the first one isn't helping much.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Nov 2, 2007, 06:11 AM
    I agree with labman, if she has been to the vet twice, and she still will not take in fluids on her own, it would be a good idea to seek out a second opinion from another vet. All mammals can go without food for a while, but water is one of those things that is an absolute basic necessity to survive. Until you can get an appointment, you might want to try a little chicken or beef broth mixed in with the food you are feeding.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Newbie puppy owner.drinking,eating,vaccinations? [ 1 Answers ]

I just got a new puppy! =] im only 17 and did to much moving around to actually sit down and raise a little puppy of of my own at first my little one wasnt eating or drinking but i learned that its just because she was new to the environment wich is true (for n e one thats having the same...

New puppy not eating or drinking [ 12 Answers ]

We got a new 8 week old Malte-Poo Puppy yesterday, brought her home and she had plenty of energy, was eating, drinking, urinating and pooping regularly. Today however she still has plenty of energy but will not eat or drink. She has urinated 4 times and pooped 2 times. Should we be concerned? I...

My 9 week old Lab puppy [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, Of corse I think I have the cuteset puppy in the world and yes I fawn over him ALL the time he is never left alone inless he has to be he gose to the store with us he basicaLy gose every where with us. But all he really wants to do is bite us or tear something up. At this point I have no...

Lab puppy draining me [ 5 Answers ]

I have had all sorts of dogs before, including labs. This puppy (approx 14 weeks) is soooo destructive. We live on quite a bit of property, so I have had to keep her mostly outside due to her distructiveness. I know that she is quite smart, as she can get her teeth on anything. She has been...

8 week old puppy not eating but drinking [ 1 Answers ]

I just brought home an 8 week old Scottish Terrier puppy from a very loving breeder. I'm not sure if he's just too young or what's going on. He ate the first night I brought him home and now he hasn't eaten in the past two days. He drinks plenty of water and is piddling but short of force...

View more questions Search