Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dede_mcm Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 18, 2007, 09:16 AM
    Debt Settlement, Consolidation, Bankruptcy.. . What to do?
    Okay, I am in trouble up to my eyeballs. I am self-employed and have been in the same business for 18 years. Unfortunately, due to technology, the work I do is basically being phased out and I have lost a couple of my large accounts in the last year unexpectedly. This cut my income in half. At the same time, I had not one but two engines in a vehicle blow, the first of which was covered under warranty. The second of which was 3000 miles past warranty. My old furnace gave out and my son graduated from a tech school and so Parent Plus loans became due.

I have $33000 in unsecured debt. Little to no equity in my home. All credit cards are in good standing except the two largest. I got behind and with the fees, penalties and raising the interest to nearly 30%, I could not pay the minimum payment. Now, I have tried sending smaller payments and have taken on a second job but too little too late, I think as I received a summons from one of the card companies.

I will file my intent to defend, but I do owe the debt. It is that simple. I wish they would just give me a little time to get on my feet, but apparently not. If they win a judgement against me and freeze my bank account, how will I be able to pay anything else? This is all new stuff to me. Obviously, I did well for myself for several years and I will not deny that I overspent as well, but it seems that I will not be able to get myself out of this in time before this court proceeding goes forward.

My major question is.. . Should I consider going to a debt settlement firm? If so, who? Should I go the credit counseling route? If so, with whom? Now with a judgement looming (as I would never say that this wasn't my debt.. . It is), is bankruptcy my only option left?

Thank you in advance for your time.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 18, 2007, 09:49 AM
    You may wish to talk to a bankrutpcy attorney, I am not up on all of the new rules, but my friend had to go though a counseling firm approved by bankrutpcy court proior to filing ( or at least see if it worked)
    Also depending on your income there are restrictions as to what you can file 7 or 13. You best bet is to talk to a bankrutpcy attorney who will review all of debts and advise you.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 18, 2007, 09:56 AM
    Hello d:

$33 THOUSAND?? Bankruptcy.

excon
    slowandeasy Posts: 353, Reputation: 14

Aug 18, 2007, 11:49 AM
    I agree with excon and F_Chuck Bankruptcy may be your best answer a good bankruptcy lawyer should be able to advise you as to chapter 7 or 13 I am not familiar with the new BK laws but from what I understand they are more strict then they used to be

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401k or IRA also Debt Consolidation [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, First of all, moderators, if this is in the wrong area please feel free to move it. I feel that the questions I'm asking may fall into many categories. Thanks Let me start with a little back ground about my situation. I'll try to keep it short but it will be hard. First of all I was...

Debt consolidation [ 7 Answers ]

Hi I have a problem. Over the past years I have used my credit cards to and know I have some bedt and my payments are getting too much. What do you think about debt consolidation like debt free or any of the other stating that they will help you with your debt. And if they do work can you tell...

?Best Debt Consolidation Company? [ 2 Answers ]

Good Afternoon! I am a 31 year old Social Worker, who is struggling to make my credit card payments. I have about 25,000 in debt. Some of it is my college as I was unable to receive any financial assistance. The rest of the debt is just from everyday living. As a social worker I have a very low...

Debt Consolidation [ 1 Answers ]

Do debt consolidation agencies really help? If I have a credit score of around 535 and improving slowly on my own, will it help to go to a debt consolidation agent. I'd like to buy a house fairly soon and wonder if these kinds of agencies can help pretty quickly. Also wasn't sure if they were...

Bankruptcy vs Loan Consolidation [ 2 Answers ]

I have a cousin who is 25 years old and wants to file bankruptcy. He has debt but it is around $10,000. He is not a stable kid. He can't keep a steady job and when he does work he doesn't work full time and of course doesn't make very much money. I guess he has talked to loan consolidators...

View more questions Search