Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    carolyn martin Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 4, 2006, 03:20 PM
    Hammer in pipe after renovation
    Hi there. I recently had both of my bathrooms renovated and noticed that after you flush either commode there would be a loud thump that was felt in the wall of the great room after the commode tank was finished refilling and the water shut off. The contractors were still working, and before they finished the thump went away. They then came back the next day and since then I noticed the thump again. It never did this before the renovation. Is this more than likely water hammer? What could they have done to cause this? They did move the vent pipe and installed two new showers and one tub and two new commodes.

Please advise if I should call them back and tell them to fix... what?
    Thank you.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 4, 2006, 04:05 PM
    It sounds like water hammer to me too. In a house less then 40 years of age you should have air chambers,(shock absorbers ) installed. Did the plumbers change any piping around the bathroom sinks? That's where the air chambers are. What did the plumbers say when you complained to them? Regards, Tom
    carolyn martin Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 5, 2006, 09:08 AM
    Thank you Tom.

Yes, they did change the pipes around both bathroom sinks. I called them and told them what you said and they are going to go under the house and strap? The pipes??

We'll see. Thank you so much for your response.

Carolyn
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 5, 2006, 11:00 AM
    If that don't work then get back to me and we'll go to plan "B". Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water hammer needs to stop [ 1 Answers ]

I have read several entries on this subject but... When lavetory and kitchen hot water faucets turned on, banging plastic pipes. Four year old house, electric water heater, 3/4 pipe to 1/2 feeders (all HC-SOR II, CPVC), pipes are very securly fastened to joists. City water with house pressure set...

Water hammer question [ 4 Answers ]

After I flush the toilet, use the shower, or run the washing machine, there is a loud screaching/moaning noise coming from my prv. I can even feel the vibration in the cold water pipe in my garage. I assume this is water hammer. The guy at Lowe's said I needed an anti-water hammer device so I...

Water Hammer Effect [ 1 Answers ]

Newbiehomeowner New Member Join Date: Oct 2005 Posts: 25 Water Hammer Effect -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I have a question for you and an update on my backing up toilet problems of a few months ago. When my short cycling well...

Water Hammer [ 1 Answers ]

I have what appears to be water hammer in a 18 yr old home. Water arrestors (the blue oil can) are installed. From what I've read, it seems like the solution is to remove the air from the water lines starting with shutting off the main water valve, then draining the pipes. If this is true, then...

Pipe banging other than water hammer? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi there, Recently the pipes in our house have started banging. My initial thoughts were loosely hanging pipes or water hammer. I secured the pipes better/tighter with hangers, but the problem continues. Water hammer would be a possible idea, except it only seems to happen from the toilet pipes...

View more questions Search