Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bereketbarcelona Posts: 15, Reputation: 0

Sep 5, 2007, 06:26 PM
    no body is answering my questions
    :( gr 10-11 pyysics and math

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

please answer need a grade 10 trig review on soh cah toa and inverting it \and also non right triangles thanks

and what do people mean by theta like sin(theta)

secondly if I'm told to re arrange an equation to find x does the back slash in s=x/t mean divide or what
    nauticalstar420 Posts: 3,699, Reputation: 423
    Ultra Member

Sep 5, 2007, 06:28 PM
    Nobody is going to do your homework for you, first and foremost. Secondly, the people that are good with the subject you need help with may not be online right now. Be patient :)
    nauticalstar420 Posts: 3,699, Reputation: 423
    Ultra Member

Sep 5, 2007, 06:34 PM
    bereketbarcelona agrees: OK easy... now I know you don't like me lol
    Its not that at all :p

Sometimes when people ask a question and don't get a response within 5 seconds they tend to post the same question a million times, rather than just being patient. Not everyone that has knowledge of certain subjects is on 24/7.

Also, people will help you the best they can, not do it for you. :)
    bereketbarcelona Posts: 15, Reputation: 0

Sep 5, 2007, 06:38 PM
    I know
    Its just that I've been stuck on this all afternoon ( canada) and I've even searched on th internet everywhere

Yet nothing
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 5, 2007, 06:52 PM
    We are more than happy to HELP you with your homework, however it goes against the rules of the site to DO IT FOR YOU. If you show initiative, even if just a guess, you will get more answers.

Please read this ANNOUNCEMENT regarding homework.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Sep 5, 2007, 09:24 PM
    I don't think this is a homework problem, but rather a set of fundamental questions.

Greek symbols are use a lot in mathematics. See here: Greek alphabet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and look for theta. Theta is just the pronunciation of another letter, but it's assumed to have units of degrees or radians by context.

"/" is a forward slash and "\" is a backslash. The "/" represents division. That's way too fundamental to be a homework problem.

This fragment, "inverting it \and also non right triangles thanks" is gibberish to me.

"soh cah toa" I believe is a mnemonic device for remembering the definitions of sine, cosine and tangent. The one I learned was "Oscar Had A Headache Over Algebra"
    which is the ?OH ?AH and ?OA" in soh cah toa. The s,c and t represent sine, cosine and tangent.

In the one I learned you need to remember both sine, cosine and tangent and " in soh cah toa. The s,c and t represent sine, cosine and tangent.

In the one I learned you need to remember both sine, cosine and tangent and ".

Hopefully, you know what the adjacent, opposite and hypotenuse of angles in right triangles are.

Hopefully, this is what you need to know and will thank me for it, if it is.

These questions are way to fundamental to be a homework problem. I'd liken them to what does an "a" sound like when you were learning English. I hope someone agrees.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Sep 6, 2007, 11:19 AM
    Much of mathematics is simply learning the vocabulary, and learning how to interpret the symbols on the page. The concepts are often very easy, but students get confused because it all just looks so complicated. I can sympathize with the poster here - when I first started trig I was totally frustrated until somebody sat me down and patiently explained what "theta" meant, and why it keeps coming up. So let me give it a shot:

Theta () simply means an angle. Any angle. You usually don't know what the specific angle is, and in many cases don't care. For example, you may see an equation like:

which means that no matter what angle you pick, the value of its sine squared plus its cosine squared always equals 1. Here the actual value of theta doesn't matter - it could be anything. Another example would be an equation like:

So given the values of the sine and cosine of a given angle you can determine the sine of an angle twice its size.

Other times you may be asked to solve for a patricular value of theta: for example, you may be asked under what conditions does:

The answer would be:

etc.

Hope these examples help!
    think_pink Posts: 124, Reputation: 5

Sep 6, 2007, 04:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bereketbarcelona
    :( gr 10-11 pyysics and math

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

please answer need a grade 10 trig review on soh cah toa and inverting it \and also non right triangles thanks

and what do people mean by theta like sin(theta)

secondly if im told to re arrange an equation to find x does the back slash in s=x/t mean divide or what
    Sin means plus I'm 100% sure
    retsoksirhc Posts: 912, Reputation: 71

Sep 6, 2007, 06:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by think_pink
    sin means plus im 100% sure
    Absolutely not. Sin is a trigonometric function. Example, sin(x) can be determined by the Y value of a point on a circle, drawn on a graph, with radius of 1, where the point is x degrees or radians around the circle, starting from the right side on the x axis, and moving counterclockwise. You use triangles to find the coordinates of this point, and thus the value of x.
    Greek2Me Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Sep 25, 2009, 04:30 PM

Check out these articles for a simple tool and tutorial that will make trig simple enough for ANYBODY to do!

How to Pass That Trigonometry Exam (Without Losing Your MIND!) Part II - Unknown Angles | eHow.com

How to Pass That Trigonometry Exam (Without Losing Your MIND!) Part I - Unknown Sides | eHow.com
    Greek2Me Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Oct 15, 2009, 09:20 AM

Check out these articles for a simple tool and tutorial that will make trig simple enough for ANYBODY to do!

How to Pass That Trigonometry Exam (Without Losing Your MIND!) Part I - Unknown Sides | eHow.com

How to Pass That Trigonometry Exam (Without Losing Your MIND!) Part II - Unknown Angles | eHow.com

Maranatha

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Theft under 500 answering application questions [ 1 Answers ]

The question on the application form reads: Have you ever been convicted of a felony: Well the charge was a misdemeanor. How would one go about answering that. Would it be no I have not been convicted of a felony? Since it was a misdemeanor and not a felony? But isn't a misdemeanor a...

AI answering questions [ 1 Answers ]

Dear Programmer, Could you please post a Function to search for specific keywords in inputed string from its database and answer differently for each keyword or group of keywords differently according to its database. Looking forward to your answer. ...

View more questions Search