Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    thiswaseasy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 28, 2007, 11:35 AM
    Security Clearance Issues
    Ok I am a college student in engineering. I have two jobs lined up right now, one for the summer and then one starting in the spring, both of which require security clearances. Here's the issue. Last November I shoplifted and was caught, and charged with a class C misdemeanor. I went to court and got deferred adjudication, and I am currently on a probation period ending in June. So I have a few questions, I went to an attorney but he said he wasn't sure so I will ask whoever can help me. First, do you think it will keep me from obtaining a clearance, because if so Im just wasting my time. I haven't and won't be convicted of anything because of the deferrment, but I don't think they care about that. Also Im worried about the recentness of it. My other question is do you think it would be better to skip this first job for the summer and wait until the other job, that way there is more time since the incident when they run the check on me, and that way my probation will be over? Because when they start this check on me for the summer job, my probation may not be over. Any advice you can give me would be great as I am very worried. For reference this is all occurring in Texas.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 28, 2007, 11:53 AM
    Hello this:

Well, of course, I have no idea about the answer. But, I have an opinion.

It seems to me that if your conviction (or lack thereof) will prevent you from getting a clearance, then I don't think letting a few months go by will cure it. It's going to take years, not months.

However, if it WON'T prevent you from getting a clearance, then it won't and I think you should apply for the summer job. Even if you don't get the summer job, you'll learn a lot in the process.

Plus, I don't think there's just one level of security clearance. If all you need is a "confidential" clearance, then that's a piece of cake to get. If you need "top secret", then you better look for another line of work.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 28, 2007, 12:06 PM
    It is very hard to say, first what level security clearnance you will have to have. It can take over a year to get a security clearnance completely done if they do a higher one.

You can get one with a misdemeanor on your record, but will have to write a dozen papers or so over a period, be interviewed several time during this process.

So if you put it on your application to them, their human resourse people will know up front normally if they think it will go though.

And to be honest in Engineering you will need to get a security clearance, most of the better jobs will require it.
    thiswaseasy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 28, 2007, 02:44 PM
    Ok well to clarify things I didn't list anything on the initial app for the job because they asked for convictions or guilty pleas, to which I have neither. Also, if I do go for these jobs, what's the worst that could happen if I don't get the clearance ( I would be completely truthful on the clearance application). I mean will that be another blemish for me or what? What I am worried about is getting the initial OK to start work and then being denied when it comes back a few months or so later.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 28, 2007, 04:51 PM
    Hello this:

The worse that will happen is that you'll get fired and won't get a good reference. It's true. A criminal record does cause some difficulties.

excon
    interinfinity Posts: 142, Reputation: 8

Jan 8, 2008, 04:43 PM
    I am in the same boat. I am an engineering student with a deferred adjudication for a 2nd degree felony, not to mention 4 midemenor arrests. My plan is to start my own contracting company. They usually don't do background checks for a contractor, or at least its less frequent. You are still screwed for a security clearance. Im doing electrical engineering but plan on doing mainly IT work, and IT jobs are plentiful for those with skills

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mold Issues - Apt Relocation - Security Deposit [ 1 Answers ]

My 16yr old daughter & I have lived in my apt for 5 yrs. (the apts were built in 1962). There's mold on all window edges which is usually clean with bleach solution. Last week I found two mushrooms growing through the grout in the tile. Shocking discovery. I informed the apt manager immediately....

Dual Citzenship France/US - Security Clearance [ 2 Answers ]

I have dual citizenship with the US and France. I was born in France to a french mother and American father. When I turned 18 I decided to move to the US to live with my father who had since divorced my mother. I have now been living in the US for the last 26 years and have maintained my french...

My security clearance? [ 24 Answers ]

Hello, I am the one that poilice gave me ticket "OFFENCE NOTICE", Municipality ottawa, and the part of "are request to appear in court"in the ticket is empty, + from the mall security, they gave me a notice of "PROHIBITING ENTRY" TRESPASS TO PROPERTY ACT for one year. I have not received any...

Errection issues or Attraction issues [ 3 Answers ]

Folks! - I have a problem. I'm 26, my girlfriend is 20 - We both hold eastern values (for the most part) and I've been with her for about 1 year now - we've been having regular sex everyday pretty much for about 8/9 months now - and by regular sex I mean sex every day, sometimes couple of times...

View more questions Search