Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    samuelluvsliz Posts: 36, Reputation: 1

Mar 30, 2009, 02:22 PM
    Birth Control
    I have been taking birth control for 2 weeks and I am going on my third week. When I started taking birth control before I had my baby I waited about a month before I had unprotected sex due to this was my doctors advice. Well me and my husband got a little out of control yesterday and had unprotected sex. I figured it should be okay since I have not missed a pill but does anyone think or know if I can still get pregnant being that I just started the pill?
    mudweiser Posts: 2,750, Reputation: 707
    Ultra Member

Mar 30, 2009, 02:30 PM
    The claim that the pill protects you from pregnancy from the first pill is true, technically. From the first pill cervical mucus is thickened and the endometrium is altered making the acceptance of a fertilized ovum less likely, so therefore the pill has taken effect and you are being protected.

However it usually does take some time for ovulation to cease completely. Which is why its advised to use extra precautions at first.

Some studies suggest that the thickening of mucus and changes to the endometrium are what actually protect the majority of women from pregnancy, as the levels of hormone in the pill aren't enough to cease every woman's ovulation.

Having unprotected sex on the first day of your pill cycle means that although you aren't completely safe, as long as you continued taking the pill completely correctly and regularly from now on, you may just well be protected, (as conception is not entirely instantaneous, the fertilized ovum then needs to join into the lining of the womb, which takes 8 to 12 days, giving the pill plenty of time to come into effect altering the endometrium, making it less accepting of an egg and protecting you from pregnancy).

Taken from: Unprotected sex 1st week of Birth Control pills. Pregnant??? >> Medical Questions, Weight Loss, Pregnancy, Drugs, Health Insurance

However, if you still are worried, my suggestion to you is to see your doctor.

MRS.S

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Birth Control causes birth defects? [ 1 Answers ]

So I take Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo and was reading some info about it and noticed that it said you should not take it if you are pregnant (obviously!) because it causes birth defects. So then I started wondering, what if you are taking it and for some reason it doesn't work and you end up pregnant (as...

Birth control [ 1 Answers ]

I been using the IUD for a year and I am worried that in all this year I only had my period 2 times does it have to do with the IUD

Birth control [ 1 Answers ]

I've been on ortho tricylen lo since near the end of april. My period has been fine since last month. My regular period came on time, it comes on the 15th of tha month and lasts for 5 days. Soon as it went off the following week i cramped the whole time. That monday my period came back on and...

View more questions Search