Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Catseyes Posts: 51, Reputation: 5

May 21, 2006, 02:25 PM
    About adopting another cat
    Hi guys,

For a couple of weeks now, my in-laws have noticed a big male cat ( not neutered yet ) running free in their neighborhood. They asked if the cat belonged to somebody. Nobody had seen that cat in the neighborhood before.
    They started feeding him : this cat is very affectionate. My in-laws like cats, but they don't want to adopt it, as they want to be able to go on vacation without worrying about a pet.

I already have a cat : female ( spayed ), 3years old. She is very spoiled. My husband and I were thinking about adopting the cat. But we worry about our cat's reaction.

What do you guys think? Should we take it ?
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

May 21, 2006, 02:47 PM
    If you do, be certain to have your vet give a complete physical to the new cat before you bring him into contact with your cat as there are some wicked contagious cat diseases out there.

Merging new animals into a household (we merged a dog with two cats) is a slow process that needs to keep everyone reasonably secure throughout it.

One end of our house was "cat city" and the other "dogville". We let one side or the other have free reign over a period of a month on the advice of our vet.

We never saw anything that suggested there would be serious bodily harm so eventually we put away all the good lamps, crossed our fingers and let 'er rip. They met in the kitchen and anybody behaving got a treat. It worked and a natural hierarchy has been established with only one or two minor scratches on a very forgiving dog's nose.

It's worth a try if you are interested but I believe even in the best of circumstances some animals may remain incompatible. If it's a no go, then you would need to find mr. tomcat a good home.
    Tommyp!972 Posts: 300, Reputation: 36

May 21, 2006, 03:42 PM
    Your inlaws shouldn't feed it if they don't plan on keeping it... catch it and give it to the local shelter and somebody will adopt it especially if its as affectionate as you say... get it off the street ASAP or else she may have kittens or end up with some disease or worse... if they really like the cat do the cat a favor and give it a chance to have a warm caring home where it won't have to wander the streets looking for food anymore

Animals are like people.. they too should never be homeless
    Catseyes Posts: 51, Reputation: 5

May 21, 2006, 05:25 PM
    Sorry Tommy, but you do not seem to have understood : I plan on being the loving home ! Would you prefer that my in-laws leave the poor thing starving and without a bed (they put a blanket under the porch, and he sleeps there )?

I love cats. But I already have one, and I don't want her to feel betrayed or anything.

So, I was looking for inputs from people adopting animals when already having some. So thank you valinors-sorrow for your help.
    And of course, I will do my duty as a pet owner if I take the tomcat ( meaning bringing to the vet for vaccines and... an operation ! :D )
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

May 21, 2006, 05:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Catseyes
    So thank you valinors-sorrow for your help.
    And of course, I will do my duty as a pet owner if I take the tomcat ( meaning bringing to the vet for vaccines and .... an operation ! :D )
    You're welcome.

PS I wasn't thinking you weren't a responsible cat lover too... I just didn't want you to make the same mistake a friend of mine did in bringing home the newcomer before stopping at the vets.

She had plumb forgotten about feline leukemia in her enthusiam. :eek: We both freaked until the test results came back negative!

SO have you picked out a name? :D
    Tommyp!972 Posts: 300, Reputation: 36

May 21, 2006, 06:09 PM
    Didn't mean any bad feelings... if you want to be the adopting parents then just take into account what it will involve... just like valinors said... some cats carry diseases... better to be safe and take to vet and get a full exam done if you don't mind spending the $$ and not knowing yet if your cat will like the company... ours personally almost KILLED a new kitten we brought home from the shelter... it was so affectionate we didn't want to give her up but my 2 other cats just beat her constantly no matter what we tried to do to stop them... hope that doesn't happen to yours... good luck and sorry about the other post if I made you come across as not a caring cat person... what you are doing is great but there are risks to every good gesture

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to go about adopting... [ 3 Answers ]

Where do you begin to adopt a child? What is the best route? My life partner & I want a baby to love. We are not legally "partners"/ or married as of yet. Should I go about this as single before we legalize? I don't know legally how we can go about this, what the laws are in Fla. In a...

Looking into adopting [ 2 Answers ]

Hi my soon to be husband and I have been looking into adopting a child/newborn with down syndrome has anyone done this or have a child with downs we are just starting to look into this we would like to adopt after we get married! We both have a lot of expereince working with children youth etc with...

Adopting Doxie Littermates [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I just adopted two rescue Doxie puppies that are littermates. Male and Female (neutered/spayed) black-n-tan beauties, 7 months. I've heard this isn't a good idea to get littermates, but didn't have a choice... I could either have both or none. Truth or fiction? Anyone? Thanks, Becky...

Considering adopting Beagle... thoughts? [ 5 Answers ]

Sorry this is so long - My husband and I are considering adopting a wonderful little Beagle that I discovered at a local shelter last week while looking for a dog for someone else. He's really a special dog and I feel a certain connection with him that I don't feel with a lot of animals. He's...

View more questions Search