Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    layna Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 25, 2007, 11:08 PM
    How To Tell If Wood Siding Needs to Be Replaced?
    We recently received three estimates for painting the exterior of our house. One of the contractors said we needed to replace all the wood siding on one side of our house, and part of the siding on another side. The other two did not mention replacing siding.

How can we tell if we need to replace the siding? It has some sun damage (cracking), but isn't rotten or coming off or anything.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 25, 2007, 11:13 PM
    I would start by asking the other two estimators how they would address the cracking. If they have a plausible plan for fixing the siding cracks then you will be better informed and can make your decision. Bet those 3 estimates were all over the place.
    layna Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 25, 2007, 11:16 PM
    One suggested using oil-based primer to seal the wood, and the other suggested using caulking in the cracks.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 25, 2007, 11:20 PM
    If they are willing to do both primer and caulking you might have a good plan. They should also explain if they are power washing or scaping or sanding the bare areas. Try to pin them down a bit about their techniques. Do not assume anything if they haven't given it to you in written proposal.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Apr 26, 2007, 03:25 AM
    Siding is sometimes called weather boarding. In addition to pleasing the eye, its main function is to keep the sun and rain off the sheathing. It is the sheathing, not the siding that keeps cold drafts, crawly things, etc. out of your house. So when it comes to replacing your cracked siding, you need to decide if the improved appearance is worth it to you.

I do have to add that I ripped the old, deteriorating hardboard siding off my house over 20 years ago and put vinyl on. I have no idea how many times it would have needed paints since. I have never regretted it.
    Kstar4u Posts: 255, Reputation: 22

Apr 26, 2007, 04:09 PM
    The direction you go, relative to the maintenance of the exterior wooden siding on your house, most likely will be based on two things... your budget and/or your desire to maintain the original materials/character of the structure. You can bet that whatever method you choose... to maintain the condition of the wooden siding (wherever it is)... will require addressing the same issue in the future. If you are able at this time, to replace the existing wooden siding... As Labman has suggested... You will be glad you did.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Asbestos siding [ 1 Answers ]

I just purchased an asbestos siding old farmhouse and would like to move it a quarter of a mile down the road to my farm and do extensive remodeling on it. I was wondering if it was safe to move.

Should coil be replaced when AC is replaced? [ 1 Answers ]

I have an old 3 ton AC unit on the roof. My house is about 1750 sq ft. Last year, the AC unit stopped working. It could never cool the house down once temperature shoots above 80. I had an AC company come by and added refrigerant thinking that's the problem. It seemed to get worse after the...

Siding [ 2 Answers ]

I have seen on the TV ads for siding being a certain amoutn per square feet. Without having to call the company I would like to figure out how that would be for my house. Can anyone tell me how they figure square footage. Would it be as simple as the length of the house by the height on each side?...

Siding [ 9 Answers ]

Is there an easy way to take aluminum siding off a house? I need to take a little section off to look underneath there and I am having a hard time. It is nothing like vinyl siding.

Wood siding scenario [ 4 Answers ]

Help me! I'm at my wits end here. I've scraped, painted, sanded, filled, grinded, scraped for years on my garage siding ( 8" wood) and nothing I do seems to last! It flakes, bubbles and checks all over. I've used oil based primer, as I've been told, and nothing seems to work. Before I take a match...

View more questions Search