Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jferrand Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2009, 11:08 AM
    Taxes and Dependents
    My common law husband claimed my kids on his 2007 taxes. The IRS sent a letter saying he had to pay all the money back because he could not claim the kids. I did not file taxes in 2007 and we live in Texas where they do recognize common law marriage. We sent in school records, we went to the notary where I stated that my common law husband had my permission to claim the children.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 3, 2009, 12:37 PM

What is your question?
    jferrand Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2009, 12:35 PM
    Taxes and Dependents2
    Sorry, on yesterday I post a question, gave the details and forgot to ask the question. Can my common law husband claim my kids on his taxes?
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Feb 5, 2009, 10:40 AM

Unless he has legally adopted them, I don't believe he can claim them as his children. He may be able to claim them as a dependent but you won't receive a child tax credit.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Feb 5, 2009, 10:55 AM

From the IRS website:

Relationship — the person must be your child, step child, adopted child, foster child, brother or sister, or a descendant of one of these (for example, a grandchild or nephew).

Since these are your children and not his children, he cannot claim them on his taxes. He can claim you as a dependent on his taxes, but not the children unless they were placed in the home as foster children.

Domestic partners may be claimed as a dependent under the qualifying relative tests.

Now, if you were legally married he could claim everyone on this taxes you and the kids.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Feb 5, 2009, 10:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by this8384 View Post
    Unless he has legally adopted them, I don't believe he can claim them as his children. He may be able to claim them as a dependant but you won't receive a child tax credit.
    He doesn't have to legally adopt them. They just need to be his step children to qualify.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 5, 2009, 11:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jferrand View Post
    Sorry, on yesterday i post a question, gave the details and forgot to ask the question. Can my common law husband claim my kids on his taxes?

Do you have any type of Order concerning the children and their natural father? If you have an Order or Decree that entitles their father to claim them, no, the stepfather cannot.

If you do not you have to meet the burden of proof.

In response to your other thread, a notarized statement is meaningless to IRS in these circumstances. You have to PROVE who provides support for the children.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

H2B dependents and taxes [ 1 Answers ]

I am very confused. When my sister was here on an H2B visa they had her put her dependents on her w2 that were back in her home country. Now, when we filed for her taxes the accountant says she can't claim them and she now OWES money to the Federal Government. She doesn't have the money and I will...

Taxes and dependents [ 2 Answers ]

My daughter was in high school for five months and in college part time in the fall. She turned 19 in August of 2007. I am going to claim her on my taxes. She made $2982.00 at her part time job. I know if she files taxes she can not claim herself. Two questions, does she file on her own and if...

Dependents for taxes [ 1 Answers ]

Can I claim my cousins girl friend who I supported last year on my tax return?

Claiming Dependents on Taxes [ 3 Answers ]

If I share joint custody of my daughter but I am her custodial parent, my ex husband payes $110.00 in child support weekly which also includes back support, 38% of childcare cost and 38% of any uncovered medical expenses then I am left with the balance. He has visitation rights on Wednesday's,...

Filing taxes with 2 dependents [ 1 Answers ]

I came to usa onmay 21st,if I file tax from June 2006 to dec2006 total-7months@32200/-(4600 permonth gross). According to virginia tax I pay 33% ie) nearly1500 permonth nearly 10,000 for 7months,so if I file in march 2007,I am having dependents(wife on h4 not working&son 5months age) coming in...

View more questions Search