Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Harvey1955 Posts: 38, Reputation: 3

Nov 28, 2007, 06:40 PM
    Reagan and spending
    Why do republicans keep talking about reagan cutting spending and reducing government, when numbers show just the opposite?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 28, 2007, 06:43 PM
    Perhaps from the way numbers are looked at,
    Harvey1955 Posts: 38, Reputation: 3

Nov 28, 2007, 06:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    Perhaps from the way numbers are looked at,
    So do you think facts have become useless? Seems they can be used to prove anything.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Nov 30, 2007, 11:08 AM
    Take away the increases in military spending and then recalculate. His policies created a new paradigm and reversed years of New Deal /Great Society excessive spending .Unfortunately he had Democrat majorities in the Houses of Congress to deal with and they hold the purse strings.
    parttime Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 113
    Ultra Member

Nov 30, 2007, 11:45 AM
    So Tom, excessive spending, if it meets your approval is OK?
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Nov 30, 2007, 11:48 AM
    There was nothing excessive about the military build up .it was long overdue and it helped end the cold war.
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Dec 21, 2007, 12:54 PM
    I think your question is basically incorrect in that Reagan cut spending; he couldn't. Year after year, the Reagan Budget went to capitol hill and was pronounced by Dems and the media elites (Tom Donaldson) as "Dead on Arrival". What Reagan was able to do with bipartisan support was cut taxes which led to the boom years from 1983 to the present. All the hoopla about the good times under Clinton were just the repercussions of the Reagan tax cuts; notwithstanding Clinton et al. additional, extensive tax cuts were approved by Congress (and Clinton) in 1995, which boosted the economy even further. The day when the American government employs fewer people may be too horrible to contemplate because there is no political party with the forsight to implement such a plan. They refuse to deal with social security, much less real cuts in the federal payroll.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Boyfriend is spending the weekend with his ex. [ 7 Answers ]

Hello all, I haven't been on recently. I hope you all are doing well. Anyway, I have a bit of a problem. My boyfriend of 9 months is spending the weekend with his ex girlfriend. The problem is I had no idea. He told me he was going to a car show. At first I wasn't concerned. I mean, he's...

About how much am I looking at spending ? [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Capecod abou 1200sqft. I have central forced heat and I want to ad central air using the existing duct work. I just wanted an opinon on what range I should be looking to spend to do this. Thanks

Spending a year in the us [ 1 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me where the best skateboarding communities are in the US? We may have a chance of spending a year there and as our son is a keen skateboarder we would like to choose somewhere that would suit him as well as us.

Spending time vs sex [ 7 Answers ]

When a man wants to just have sex rather than wanting to spend some quality time together... does that necessarily mean he is not interested in you and that woman should feel there is something really wrong with her that he doesn't want her for who she is but just her body... Can anyone throw some...

Average holiday spending $ ? [ 2 Answers ]

Just read an article (actually 2) this morning that said the average amount spent on holiday gifts is $1,000. Fyi - both articles were referring to the 20 & 30 something age group. I don't think I spend nearly that much, but I'm going to review last year's spending to be sure that I didn't just...

View more questions Search