Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kiesha Rice Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2010, 06:18 PM
    Not the biological dad; pays child support; wife filed for divorce.
    The divorce was filed in September 2009. I found out I wasn't the biological dad December 2009 but now there is a court date scheduled to discuss custody and visitation which I want no parts of. Am I legally responsible for this situation anymore? She is also pregnant by another man now and someone said the child is legally mine because the divorce isn't final. Is this all true?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 4, 2010, 06:35 PM

If you were married at the time of birth, in most states you are considered legally the father.

Also where you put on the birth certificate. If you are in the US then it may depend on the state. In some you have limited time to challenge the paternity.

You really need an attorney
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

Feb 4, 2010, 07:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiesha Rice View Post
    The divorce was filed in September 2009. I found out I wasn't the biological dad December 2009 but now there is a court date scheduled to discuss custody and visitation which I want no parts of.
    Some states allow in very rare circumstancies someone to disestablish his legal paternity.It depends on your state'legislation and court practice, and also whether there is someone else /biological father/who can be stuck with child support obligation.
    You must stay in front of the judge and to discuss your paternity.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiesha Rice View Post
    Am I legally responsible for this situation anymore? She is also pregnant by another man now and someone said the child is legally mine because the divorce isn't final. Is this all true?
    Yes,it is true.

Feb 4, 2010, 08:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    If you were married at the time of birth, in most states you are considered legally the father.

Also where you put on the birth certificate. If you are in the US then it may depend on the state. In some you have limited time to challege the paternity.

You really need an attorney
    I live in MD and the first child I wasn't married but I signed the birth certificate because I believed it was mine. Thanks for the answer

Feb 4, 2010, 08:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by GV70 View Post
    Some states allow in very rare circumstancies someone to disestablish his legal paternity.It depends on your state'legislation and court practice, and also whether there is someone else /biological father/who can be stuck with child support obligation.
    You must stay in front of the judge and to discuss your paternity.

Yes,it is true.
    She had the paternity test done so there is record of the biological dad. Thank you

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is a biological mother responsible to repay child support to a non biological father [ 3 Answers ]

The mother of a child was in a relationship with 2 men at the same time, she became pregnant. She married one of the men who has raised the child as his own and now they are divorced and he pays child support. The other man has wanted to know for years (8) if he is the biological father but...

Marrying someone who pays child support. [ 30 Answers ]

I am engadged to marry someone I have know and loved for 7 years now. He is a very good man and I trust he has always tried to live his life as christian as possible. He is not perfect obviously because a few years ago before we had gotten back together his ex came asking him for a favor and slept...

Boyfriend getting divorce, filed dissolution but ex wife might be pregnant. [ 2 Answers ]

My boyfriend is getting divorced, him and his ex have already filed the dissolution papers and paid the filing fee, but we think she's pregnant. And there is a good possibility thatit's his. What should he do?

Who pays child support if both parents has a child [ 2 Answers ]

Hello My wife is in a situation were her ex husband won custody of one child who is 16 and she has one child who is 18 about to go to college and works part time would either be liable to pay child support in this situation please help.

Father pays child support, but mother wants more? [ 8 Answers ]

My cousin lives in NY and mother of his child lives in NJ. He pays $550 a month in child support but she wants more. He makes around 550-650 a week after taxes, but is afraid he will lose everything if chil support amount is raise. It might sound like a lie but he barly surviving because NY is...

View more questions Search