Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ant123253 Posts: 18, Reputation: 2

Apr 6, 2007, 03:15 AM
    Dog Won't Sleep In Kennel
    I recently bought a kennel for my dog, I put a cushion on the bottom to see if that's the reason she doesn't go in it but she just doesn't sleep there. I want her to sleep in her kennel rather then on the tiles. I tried putting her toy in there and giving her treats but she just goes in for the treat and comes straight out or pulls out her toy. Any Ideas?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 6, 2007, 06:16 AM
    I once had a very large house that I didn't want my young dog roaming and bought a crate. She really didn't want anything to do with it at first, like you a tried hard to make her accept it, but finally realized she had to accept it herself. I left the door of the crate open all the time until she got curious enough to check it out and finally picked that as 'her space' and would go for a nap inside from time to time. Finally I could leave her in there while out shopping, she would go in when asked.
    mrscoltweaver Posts: 240, Reputation: 20

Apr 6, 2007, 07:05 AM
    How old is your dog? If over a year old, it make take a little extra time as sleeping habits have already been established. Tickle is right and so are you-leave the crate door open all the time with special treats, toys in the back. The crate size should be just enough room to lay down in. Dogs are den animals and evetually, your dog will view the crate as a save haven.
    When you do start shutting the door of the crate, there may be some protest. Keep the crate in a room where she cannot readliy see you. If you here barking, go rap on the top of the crate and say "NO" and leave. Close crate for small periods and reward her when you go back in to let her out with praise and treat. Good luck!
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Apr 6, 2007, 04:54 PM
    A dog that has not been crated since it was little, make take some work.
    Putting its toys and treats in the crate was a good start. Praise it when it goes in. Feed it in the crate.

If she prefers sleeping on the tile, she may want the coolness. Trying the bedding was a good idea, but maybe remove it.

A couple of my puppies choose the raised, stone hearth for their naps in the summer. They were both strong willed males. I am sure the coolness was a factor. Given a chance, a dog will choose the bed or the sofa partly because the higher the sleeping spot, the more status it has. You might try blocking the crate up with something. This would do 2 things. Allowing air to circulate under it may give the dog the coolness it wants. The height would make it a prestigious spot. Just make sure what ever you use is solid and the crate won't fall over. Also make sure your bed is higher yet.

Give her a little more time. Maybe anytime you pick up her toys, put them in the crate. Give her treats in the crate several times a day.

I have never actually worked at that. Bring a 7 week old puppy home, and crate it from the beginning, it is no problem. I have applied the same thing to older dogs. They except the resident top dog in the new den, putting them in a crate for night. Even if you are giving her strong leadership, your situation is different from a new dog coming into the house. I have suggested what I would try in a case like yours.

I am a strong fan of the crate, but if you aren't having problems with chewing or fouling the house, maybe just make the cushion available without the crate.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Apr 6, 2007, 05:21 PM
    While posting to another question, I remembered the plastic/metal issue. I think the plastic ones give the dog more of a safe, enclosed den feeling. They are harder for dogs to open too. Metal ones seem to me like a cage leaving the dog trapped and exposed. They can be put in a corner or covered with something the dog can't pull in and chew.
    2manypets Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 19, 2009, 09:28 AM
    I have a similar problem - our boxer roxanne is crate trained and sleeps in her cage at night. We recently got a new puppy and bought a kennel for the garden so they can stay outide in the summer. I put roxanne's outside bed in the kennel. The pup loves it in there but roxanne refuses to use it. She sat out in the rain an entire day rather than take cover in the kennel which is insulated. Very frustrating!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Cat won't let me sleep... HELP! [ 10 Answers ]

Hello :( I need some help and advice on what to do with this situation that Iam passing through with my kitty.. Her name is Blondie and she is one year old-I love her to death but the only thing that bothers me is that she gets extremely wild at night.. My husband and I both have to wake up...

Pom won't get kennel trained [ 1 Answers ]

My pom is about 1 1/2 and still goes in his kennel at least once a week and still goes in the house. Any advice?

My one year old won't sleep at night! [ 3 Answers ]

Justyc was going through a stage where he would sleep from about 8 or 9 till midnight then be awake for an hour and go back to bed. As time went on the span he was awake from midnight gradually got longer. He is now to the point where he doesn't actually sleep for a long period. I have tried...

My dog will not eat after trip to kennel [ 1 Answers ]

I have a corgi/australian shepard mix (almost two years old). I picked him up from the kennel four days ago and since then he has eaten only one meal. Until today he will not eat even treats (he did eat two this morning). Usually he eats twice a day and as many teats as I will give him. He has had...

Board dogs in kennel or at-home dog sitter? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello! I would like advice on how to take care of our dogs when we go away. We have two dogs in our house. We are going away for 4 days, and wonder if they would be happier staying at home alone (with a dog sitter making visits 3 times a day) of if they would be happier being boarded at a kennel...

View more questions Search