Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    icandoit Posts: 46, Reputation: 2

Nov 12, 2005, 12:59 PM
    Install a shower drain over slab
    I'm about to install my fiberglass shower and I've done some reading on the process. I am confused about one thing. Which is better to use under the drain, plumbers putty or silicone caulk?

I'm leaning towards the putty. I know it's been used for years and has performed well, but I'm wondering if maybe the silicone caulk is better suited to the fiberglass installs. Since it will be on a slab I need it to be as permanent as possible. And yes, I will be reinforcing the floor.

Thanks... Randy
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Nov 12, 2005, 02:28 PM
    I applications like this Silicone is not worth it. Sikicone will loose its bond. Go with the tried and true putty.I did.

Nov 12, 2005, 04:03 PM
    I tend to agree. On a non-pourous surface silicone can easily lose its bond. I already installed it and I used the putty.

Question now is, how tight do you tighten the nut. What I have been doing is I tightening it by hand at first and then I leave it for a few minutes and tighten it some more. What's happening is the putty keeps oozing out each time I tighten it. Guess I'll just keep doing this till the putty stops oozing.

But then, how much torque do you place on the rubber gasket? Should I use a wrench to torque it or is hand tight good enough?

Thanks... Randy
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 12, 2005, 04:30 PM
    Hi Randy,
    Crank down on that sucker till the putty stops oozing out. The installation sequence goes like this. Drain with a rope of putty under the lip. Set the drain in the hole. Now underneath, the neoprene gasket goes first followed by the fiber anti-friction washer followed by the large nut. Hand tight just don't get it. You need a wrench to squeeze all the putty out and make your drain secure. Good luck, Tom

Nov 12, 2005, 05:59 PM
    All right Tom, that's what I wanted to know and needed to hear.

Now where did I put that big spanner wrench I got from Paul Bunyan... lol.

Thanks a bunch... Randy

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to install a shower/tub on a slab? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 1/2 bath in my basement (toilet and sink). House built in 1964. I would like to add a fiberglass shower/tub combo, however, there is no drain for a shower or tub. How difficult is it to cut the slab to allow installation of the drain line? -The shower/tub drain would be 6 ft. from the...

Drain for shower on cement slab [ 6 Answers ]

I am replacing a shower that was installed on a cement slab. I will probably be using noble company products for the liner etc.. However I need some guidance on the install of drain system. Attached are some pictures of the existing situation... can anyone help suggest something. On some other...

Shower drain on slab? [ 2 Answers ]

I'm helping a friend remodel his basement bathroom, including a new tile shower and replacing the toilet. The old shower was a metal unit and the shower drain is set into the concrete. I'll be putting a new pan in and would like to replace the drain (same location), but am not sure how to connect...

Shower drain in slab [ 2 Answers ]

Can I build up the shower base and use elbows to route the shower drain to the right location, or do I have to rip the floor out, or custom build my own shower base... I believe it was placed for a tube, and I can't find any shower bases that the drain lines up with... any suggestions?

Hooking up drain for shower/tub on concrete slab [ 3 Answers ]

I have a unfinished bathroom in the basement on a cement slab. The rough in plubming is in place with a about a 12x12 hole in the cement. How do I hook up the drain to the Ptrap. I do not have access from the side wall. Do I need to cut an access hole in the adjacent room?

View more questions Search