Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    c_henderson Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 31, 2011, 01:44 AM
    How to dye already black hair Jet black with red highlights. What comes first?
    Please help. My natural color is a natural black or like a 1B and I have some strands of gray that have increased over the last few years. I have finally decided I would like to get a permanent color and go Jet Black. But I would like some red highlights in my crown area (I just recently cut my hair all over with the crown a little longer so I can flip it. Question is I have figured from your previous posts that I will need a bleaching agent to lighten my hair enough for the burgundy red to really take and pop but I would like to know can I add the jet color and do the foil at the same time. What is the order I need to do the color to make sure it comes out right. Please help. What do I do first?
    uneek8904 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 29, 2011, 10:54 PM
    I have the same issue. BUT I had a licensed pro(my cousin Rach)do my color and foils. You should be able to do both; Rach just switched between the black and red(highlights)as necessary. I went bright red(like RR red)with my highlights, so since you want a darker red it should cover the gray just fine. We used ION 1v-1.2 Jet Black cream With 20 developer. Now if you don't want to bleach L'Oreal makes Excellence Hi-Color for Dark Hair creams which are true to color without bleach**tip: I would go a shade brighter than you want since your hair is so dark USE ONLY 20 Developer**. If you don't mind bleaching then I would use the same ION brand crème as your black and 20 developer also, but this time choose A SHADE DARKER than your ideal color! I've made these mistakes so trust me! As for bleach use the Quick blue in a blue foil pouch and 40 developer. Have someone help you don't do your own hair, if they are not pro then Don't USE BLEACH!! Go the Hi-Color brand route, 2 reasons easier to fix mistakes and if you don't like it it's easier to get an equal all over color! Good Luck.
    c_henderson Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 30, 2011, 03:19 AM
    That's the product I was planning on using. A girl I know that works at the beauty supply I go to often told me of the products I may need and also gave me some tips too and said to see her when I get ready to purchase the products I need to make sure I have what I need. I have a girlfriend that is a cosmetology student and I think shell be there with me as a kind of backup just to be safe. Thanks for the tips!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to dye black hair red. [ 2 Answers ]

I've been dying my hair for about 3 years now. My natural color is a very nice shade of medium to dark brown. At first I began by simple bleach highlights, giving my ahir the effect that it was all over dirty blonde. About a year and a half ago I began dying my hair red, and tried a few different...

Will black negate red hair dye? [ 3 Answers ]

I've been dying my hair a bright red and decided to go back to brown. I started with a medium ash and then a darker brown color, but the red still shows through. If I use black, will the red finally disappear? I want black hair, but I don't want to bother is going to shine through still.

Ahh getting rid of jet black hair dye - going back brown! [ 1 Answers ]

Hey! I've got such a problem! I dyed my hair a few days ago and it went ginger, so I dyed over it dark brown but it went jet black, and so I dyed over it with brown hair dye and it didn't make any difference I have brown extensions and they don't match and I can't afford black ones which I don't...

How do I dye my jet black hair to a light brown color? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I dyed my hair dark brown but obviously it came out in this unnatural gothic black color. How do I color it back to something like ight or medium brown? Can I use semi permanent haircolor or something else? If so what color do you recommend I use? Thanks

View more questions Search