Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    buffybee Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 27, 2006, 02:53 PM
    Renters rights
    I live in a large complex and my lease is up for renewal.

The new lease is stating the complex will no longer be paying the water, sewer and heat as part of the rental amount.

We do not have individual meters, so they will take the total amount due by the entire complex and divide that figure into how many people live in each apartment and that will be our share.

We can not control our heat and they have no way of knowing who is using how much of either.

I live in Glenolden Pennsylvania and am trying to find out if this is legal.

Please help.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 27, 2006, 04:30 PM
    Hello buffybee:

Pa. landlord tenant law does not address the issue. Consequently, it's legal.

Is it fair? No, but that's got nothing to do with legal. Of course, you can always move.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 27, 2006, 06:00 PM
    Since they can not fairly divide up the water usage, what if you let your water run all day all month, you would be paying more because of their action. Also if you have just you and your neighbor has 4 kids they should be paying.

So I am not sure how they can not be liable for some law suits for not having a fair system. So since they can't come up with a fair system to charge your utilities, I doubt then it would be legal.

Of course unfair is sometimes also legal but I could not find a rule on it under rental, but I would contact my utility provider and see what they have to say.
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Aug 27, 2006, 07:41 PM
    Yes this is legal in many large complexes in America and is the preferred way of doing business. Its called an allotment and has more to do with the city than the complex you live in.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Aug 27, 2006, 10:38 PM
    It is very unfair, so talk with them about it.

If you really do not like it, you can always move.

But as others have said, unfortunately this is legal.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Aug 28, 2006, 03:27 AM
    If enough people complain, then he could very well just raise everyone's rent to cover his average utility expenses.

If you love the place, I'd check into the local utility averages for number of occupants and approach the landlord to ask him if he'd consider just adding this amount to your monthly rent and leaving it at that.

If he says no, I personally would rather look for another place to live than battle over an issue like this.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 28, 2006, 06:15 AM
    Fair it isn't. As pointed out someone living alone can use more than their share causing people with larger families to pay more. But as long as the formula is applied equally to all tenants, then it may stand the legality test.
    buffybee Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2006, 07:13 AM
    Thank you all for helping me out with this. I appreciate all the information and have made the decision to move.
    bhayne Posts: 339, Reputation: 4

Aug 28, 2006, 01:54 PM
    Unless you can stick a water meter (sewer is just a percentage of water use) and a watt-hour meter on your heat, you are stuck.

City water is the same way. For my rental property, the city offered a free water installation installation to everyone that wanted to be billed every three months instead of annually. I accepted and after paying meter reading and meter rental fees, I still saved over $200 on my annual bill. I rent a 2 bedroom bungalo and it is surrounded by multi-family mansions. I think of all the money I paid in the past to support these glutonous places before I was metered! I know how you feel.

As a bonus, since I now meter the water, my tenants now pay the bill!
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Aug 30, 2006, 12:27 PM
    Talk to a lawyer about this one. Obviously, these things were previously paid by the complex out of your rent. Now they want the tenants to directly share in the cost of paying these items. Is the complex lowering your base rent as compensation since they're now directly assessing you for these utility costs? If not then I'd say it certainly sounds illegal, at least when done in this manner. They may have the right to raise your rent by a certain amount but that's not what they're doing here. If your base rent is lowered to allow for your utility assessment then keep track for several months and compare what you pay month-to-month under this new system to what your previous rent (which included the aforementioned utilities) had been. If there's a considerable difference that's not in your favor, then again I'd say you probably have a case for court action. Do you have a renters' association in your complex to help you and your fellow tenants address concerns like these? If not then maybe it's high time you started one.
    LUNAGODDESS Posts: 467, Reputation: 40

Aug 30, 2006, 12:48 PM
    Here in Texas we have the same situation; Our water and sewage bill and heating and air conditioning are separated from the rent… the water and sewage are determined by the square footage of the apartment and the amount of water and sewage used... rest are metered and can be accessed... the city has control over the water... our water is contacted and or lease out to many private contractors... for we are deregulated... there are problems... you just have to keep up with it... by calling your regulatory commission in your state... an agencies that handle utilities regulations
    By, calling your regulatory commission in your state... an agencies that handle utilities regulations …Pennsylvania Public Utility Commission’s Bureau of Consumer Services at 1 800 692 7380 and website address: http://puc.paonline.com...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

As an aunt do I rights to sue DCFS for vistation rights to see my niece? [ 10 Answers ]

Hi My name is Rosalyn. I have a 12 year old niece that I just adore. Unfortunately she is in foster care with Illinois's DCFS going on 6 years. My sister, my nieces mom is mentally Ill. Her father was in jail for 10 years (my niece was 2 when he was sentence). Now that he is out jail and a witness...

Renters Rights [ 1 Answers ]

My daughter just signed a rental lease and paid the first months rent plus a sizable security deposit. Two days later she found a bigger and nicer house for the same price. She called the first landlord and explained the situation. The first months rent was returned but none of the deposit. They...

Kansas State Renters Law for Renters [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Lenexa, Kansas a part of Johnson County Kansas. I need to know What the law is governing renters rights when it comes to repair of things Like garbage disposals etc. I also need to know if it is a requirement of the Law to have shades or blinds furnished by landlord or if this is the...

Renters leave belongs [ 3 Answers ]

We have a property in In. We have renter that have left furniture and personal belongs in the house. They owe back rent, We have the items in storage for over a year. Can we now get rid of the things. By selling them and using it on the back rent and storage fee for the items. Or should we just...

View more questions Search