Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    christimac Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 24, 2007, 12:01 PM
    PMS I feel like I am going crazy
    I have just turned 40 and I am experiencing the worst pms ever. I do not know when to cry or to laugh things that generally would not make me mad make me very angry. I feel like a very hateful person, which I am not. I know that I am driving my husband crazy on top of the fact I feel like I am going out of mind for at least 5-7 days sometimes longer before my period starts. After I start, maybe 3 days or so I get a burst of energy and I just love the world but when the next month comes the horns come out again. I can't continue this way. Is there anything that I can take naturally to help these mood swings?:confused:
    t1102 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 24, 2007, 09:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by christimac
    I have just turned 40 and I am experiencing the worst pms ever. I do not know when to cry or to laugh things that generally would not make me mad make me very angry. I feel like a very hateful person, which I am not. I know that I am driving my husband crazy on top of the fact I feel like I am going out of mind for atleast 5-7 days sometimes longer before my period starts. After I start, maybe 3 days or so I get a burst of energy and I just love the world but when the next month comes the horns come out again. I can't continue this way. Is there anything that I can take naturally to help these mood swings?:confused:
    I have the same problems, only I am 34 years old. I really am tired of my mood changes and the way I feel every month, I don't know how much more I can take of this... any suggestions please forward them to me.
    t1102 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 24, 2007, 09:06 PM
    My advice to you would be to consult with your MD, I am sure they can recommend something for you, I am just to afraid of starting on meds @ this time.
    pompano Posts: 293, Reputation: 40

Jun 25, 2007, 02:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by christimac
    I have just turned 40 and I am experiencing the worst pms ever. I do not know when to cry or to laugh things that generally would not make me mad make me very angry. I feel like a very hateful person, which I am not. I know that I am driving my husband crazy on top of the fact I feel like I am going out of mind for atleast 5-7 days sometimes longer before my period starts. After I start, maybe 3 days or so I get a burst of energy and I just love the world but when the next month comes the horns come out again. I can't continue this way. Is there anything that I can take naturally to help these mood swings?:confused:
    I have the same problem, and I am 40.I finally tried Pamprin,it helps but taking pills for this problem can't be healthy for you,because you would have to medicate yourself two weeks out of every month.I told my Dr. and was told to take calcium and ibuprofin,but this doesn't control the mood swings.
    christimac Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 26, 2007, 04:40 AM
    Thanks for all suggestions and I wish that I had a good answer to give back but I do not! If this is any indication how real menopause is going to be I will never survive, or someone around me may not survive. I will be going to the Doc because I am desperate now, I am afraid to go out in public during this time of the month because of my moodiness. How horrible! Cramps and fatigue are one thing and maybe a little attitude is OK but this is ridiculous. One of my friends suggested going on a birth control pill, I think my age is a little risky so hopfully there is something out there that can control this evil twin that comes out 10 day out of the month. I really do not like her. :mad:
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 26, 2007, 05:31 AM
    As this is upsetting your life, it is possible it could be PMDD (Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder)

Premenstrual dysphoric disorder or PMDD is a condition associated with severe emotional and physical problems that are linked closely to the menstrual cycle. Symptoms occur regularly in the second half of the cycle and end when menstruation begins or shortly thereafter. PMDD is not just a new name for premenstrual syndrome (PMS), a condition that affects as many as 75% of menstruating women. It is, however, considered to be a very severe form of PMS that affects about 5% of menstruating women. Both PMDD and PMS share symptoms in common that include depression, anxiety, tension, irritability and moodiness. What sets PMDD apart is its severity. Women with PMDD find that it has a very disruptive effect on their lives

Over the years, many treatments have been used for premenstrual symptoms, for premenstrual syndrome (PMS), and most recently for premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD). Until recently, few of these treatments were evaluated in carefully designed research studies and even fewer were shown to be effective. There are now four prescription drugs that have been approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for treating the condition. These FDA-approved medications are fluoxetine (Sarafem), paroxetine controlled-release (Paxil CR), and sertraline (Zoloft), together with drospirenone/ethinyl estradiol oral contraceptive (YAZ). Nonetheless, many treatments of less well established value remain in widespread use and some women find them to be quite satisfactory. When we discuss treatments for PMDD here, we'll base our comments on the best available research data, the opinions of experienced clinicians, and a generous sprinkling of common sense.

There are 3 broad approaches to treating PMDD. While most experts recommend a combination of all 3, there have been no scientific studies to determine if combination treatment is really the best approach. It is likely that the best approach or combination of approaches will vary from woman to woman based on things like symptom severity and which symptoms are most troublesome.

Here are the 3 approaches with some examples of each:

1. Medications - including antidepressants, antianxiety drugs, analgesics, hormones and diuretics.
    2. Psychobehavioral - including exercise and psychotherapies (cognitive-behavioral, coping skills training, relaxation).
    3. Nutritional - including diet modification, vitamins, minerals and herbal preparations.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cat pms? [ 1 Answers ]

I have this cat that is 5 years old and was recently spayed. Now she tends to "freak out". She gets mad at me, hisses, runs and hides. Its been happening about once every couple days since her surgery. She is a loving and trusting cat. She always follows me around and sleeps with me. Now she won't...

I feel like I'm going crazy [ 19 Answers ]

I met a man at work, I found out later he was married but I had already gotten deep into the relationship. He has done many disresptful things to me, he has stood me up numerous times, too many to count, he lies about where he has been, I have given him an untimatium, and now I haven't heard from...

I feel like I'm going crazy! [ 5 Answers ]

:P I am a mother of 3, twins who are three years old and a little girl who is 16 months. My boys seem to be going through the terrible 2s all over again. They will not listen to me or my husband no matter what. We have tried being nice, putting them before our daughter, I though maybe it was...

View more questions Search