Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Fungster Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 3, 2007, 03:03 AM
    Too late to Vacate a Judgment?
    Hi all, Vince here from California. I'm in a bit of a sticky situation and I am begging
    For any advices. My bank account was froze over the weekend because the sheriff
    dept. has levied it. I did not know why until I dug around. I was named as one of the
    Defendants (the other two defendants are my mother and brother) in lawsuit back
    In Jan 3, 2007. We were services by substitution, and the guy left the paper with my
    Sister at our residence. The whole case revolves around an ex-gf of my brother who
    Is suing for money that she loaned to him back in 2002. My mother and I was involved
    Because the ex-gf had sent the money to my brother through our bank account via checks.
    My mother passed the paper on to my deadbeat brother to take care of the situation since it
    Was his "debt." I was kept in the dark because my mother thought I already had too much
    To worry about already, working two full time jobs and all (still am).

Well, nobody showed up at the appointed date and we lost by default. The notice of
    Judgement was sent to my house and my mother didn't even know what it was so
    She paid no mind (thinking it was just another claim!). We moved towards the end
    Of January 2007 and so we missed the Notice of Levy that was sent around early
    Feb. according to the Sheriff Dept.

I want to dispute this default judgement because I felt it was unfair. I know ignorance
    Is not a good excuse in the eyes of the law but my mother and I should not
    Have even been dragged into this case to begin with. I just want another chance at
    A hearing so we can state our case. Since it is currently April, and the notice of judgement was
    Passed on Jan. 3; would it be too late to file for a motion to vacate a judgement after the 30 days
    Limit has passed?
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Apr 3, 2007, 03:48 AM
    FIle with the court Motion to Quash the levy, Third party claim against the funds in the account. Your can look up the code online in the California law library.

By filing the Motion in the court this will delay the removal of any funds. Request a hearing on the matter , and be there on that date. Bring proof o the ownership of the funds in the account.
    Fungster Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 3, 2007, 06:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.yet
    FIle with the court Motion to Quash the levy, Third party claim against the funds in the account. Your can look up the code online in the california law library.

By filing the Motion in the court this will delay the removal of any funds. Request a hearing on the matter , and be there on that date. Bring proof o the ownership of the funds in the account.

Mr. Yet, thank you for the prompt reply. Due to my limited knowledge of the law
    May I kindly ask for some clarification if you have some time?
    My first course of action should be to file a motion to squash the levy and request a hearing
    On the matter. Is third party claim a separate action or that is my reason for squashing the levy?
    (I looked up third party claim and this is all I got: An interest or share in property
    That has been taken by order of a court.)

Update: They also levied my mother's account and are starting the process of
    Garnishing her wages. I won't be surprise if they'll show up at my workplaces today
    Also. Do I have to do anything about the wage garnishment also or just dispute everything
    During the hearing? Do we have to file separately or singularly since we
    Were slapped with the same judgment?

I'm sorry for all the extra questions but I do thank you for you time; I appreciate it.
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Apr 3, 2007, 07:48 AM
    Read this link it may help.
    Joinder of Parties & Claims

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Notice of motion to vacate judgment in small claims [ 4 Answers ]

I need to find out How to file a notice of motion to vacate a small claims judgment. Where do I get the form? Is one available on line? I was served with papers on a case. I called to reschedule. I was told fine it would be reschuled. I come back from vacation and I have a judgmnt agaiinst ...

To Vacate [ 1 Answers ]

I am a single mother of two young children and have been renting a house in NJ for 18 months. I have a roommate who's sister owns the house. I make my monthly rent checks out to the owner (sister) every month, but give them to him to deposit, he said he controls the activities of the house and is...

Judgment Help [ 9 Answers ]

Ok so I had leased a car a over 10 years ago. I was reposessed and I had a judgement on me for 10 years The judgement was removed about 6 months ago. The company who filed that judgement went bankrupt and an Bankruptcy lawyer is trying to collect the money I had a letter left on my door demanding...

Divorce - vacate stay of judgement absolute [ 14 Answers ]

Hi... first timer here! I am in the midst of a divorce that is taking forever. Last September I had my divorce trial (husband didn't show). I testified for 2 hours and was eventually awarded my home, children (physical & legal) and granted divorce to return to my maiden name. The judgement (in...

Motion to vacate judgement [ 1 Answers ]

All my money in my bank accounts are currently frozen due to a judgement. The collection agency is demanding I pay the total amount due up front. I do not have this money. I called the courts and they said I need to file a motion to vacate the judgement. I am willing to let them garnish my...

View more questions Search