Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    handydandy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 26, 2009, 07:46 PM
    Air conditioner fan would not turn on.
    Hi
    Last year everything was working fine. Both the furnace and the air conditioning unit I mean. This year we did not need it so far. Now that we needed it, we just turned the air conditioner on. To our surprise the air conditioner fan is not working. We have checked all the breakers, they are all fine. The outdoor unit motor compressor seem to be working since they are making humming noise. The copper lines out of the unit is getting hot. Inside the house the copper line mounted near the furnace is getting hot too. There seems to be power at the blower at the base of the furnace also. The only thing is that the out door unit fan would not turn on. I have checked the thermostat and set the temp much below the room ambient to see if this should work. But to no avail. Can someone please help? I am located in Brampton, Ontario, Canada.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jun 27, 2009, 01:49 AM
    First try using a stick or other object to see if the outside fan will spin manually and then run normally if not see second part.

Second if still will not run as normal check/test the fan capacitor and associated wiring that is located in the outside unit service compartment. If the capacitor is defective replace if not then go to step 3.

Remove fan motor and obtain new one. ALSO get a new capacitor that matches the requirements for the new motor. Then install the new motor and capacitor exactly as removed or per the new instructioions as provided by the motor manufacturer.

If you are not comfortable working with electric and mechanical components OR if you do not have the proper test meters and other equipment then it is time to call a qualified professional for a on site inspection and repair.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fan will not turn on central air conditioner [ 10 Answers ]

My central air fan will not turn on I had my capacitor check and it is OK I have another big thing that look like a big capacitor but it wires do not go to the fan I took it off to check it to but it is Sunday. I also took the fan off and was going to have it check on Monday. The air conditioner is...

Outside carrier fan on air conditioner won't turn off [ 1 Answers ]

I have a carrier air conditioner- set thermostat inside maintained desired temp. during the night but woke up to find outside fan was still running and would not turn off- noticed this several times lately when I would go outside after unit had turned off inside- frost on one of the pipes coming...

Air Conditioner will not turn on [ 3 Answers ]

Hi all, Noobie here - so please forgive basic ?'s. My Lennox Air conditioner will not turn on. When I switch the thermostat to cool and fan to on nothing happens. Can anyone suggest how to begin to diagnose the problem? Is there anything, such as a switch located in the furnace area that...

Heater or Air Conditioner does not turn on [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I have a central air and heater unit and when I turn it on for heat or air at the thermostat nothing happens. Can you help me?

Aux Heat comes on when I turn my air conditioner on [ 3 Answers ]

I have a White Rodgers 1F58-58 Thermostat. When I turn my airconditioner on to cool, the Aux Heat automatically comes on and blows hot air?? Please help!

View more questions Search