Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    newjersey Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Dec 28, 2007, 11:11 AM
    Mystery musty odor
    This house was built in 2001 and is a slab house. We are the second owners. There is a mysterious musty odor that is in the foyer closet and in the wall from the foyer closet to the front door. The closet and foyer are back to back to the garage. We have had a mold/mildew inspection done and the results were negative. We have also had the water company come to check the meter (no problem) and inquired about a possible leak from the meter to the outside pipe to the road. Water Company person said there is no hissing sound so no leak. We have also had a plumber come and he could find nothing in way of a leak. We have also removed a small section of wallboard from inside the closet and there are no signs of moisture. We now have the foyer closet sealed with a plastic tarp as the odor is quite strong. If you sniff the walls in the foyer, the odor can be smelled.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what we can do next? Or even what this musty odor could be? I forgot to state that the water meter is located in the foyer closet.

Dec 28, 2007, 11:19 AM
    Mystery Musty Odor
    Hi ----- I forgot to state that the water meter is located in the foyer closet.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 28, 2007, 11:20 AM
    <two threads merged>
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 28, 2007, 12:38 PM
    Water meters tend to sweat when cold water rushes through a metal meter that is at room temperature. Sweet leads to mold and/or mildew. Spayer the metter done with a 1:4 part mix of bleach and water, Allow to soak for 5 minutes and then wipe it down. May need to do this more than once if the smell persists.

Dec 28, 2007, 04:15 PM
    Thank you for your suggestion. We have done that and the odor persists. One of the things we can't figure out is why the odor is in the wall outside of the closet. The wall is from the closet to the front door. We checked the attic and there is no sign of moisture.

Dec 28, 2007, 04:55 PM
    I would start considering cutting an inspection hole in the drywall right where you smell the most. Odors are funny things and tend to confuse your nose. I had a person with an odor issue in a wall. When I opened the wall we found a nest of dead mice. It wasn't mold but it sure smelled bad. Good luck.

Jan 2, 2008, 03:05 PM
    We did cut 2 holes in the walls of the closet and nothing is amiss. We just sealed the 2 holes. We decided to use KILZ Odorless on the walls of the closet, the doors to the closet, woodwork and in the foyer. We are hoping this isn't a temporary fix. Would like to cut another hole in the foyer wall, but hubby wants to wait a couple of weeks and see if the KILZ will get rid of the smell. Right now all we smell is KILZ.

We do have mice in the attic (have caught 4 of them) so what you say about the nest of dead mice could be the cause. I thought perhaps dead mice were the problem, but the mold/mildew guy said no, it is a musty odor - and said he has had experience with smelling dead stuff in walls. But how long does a nest of dead mice smell? We moved in here in September and the odor(not as strong) was there in June when we looked at the house. We thought the musty odor was from the water meter located in the closet and could remedy it.

I'm beginning to think perhaps it is in the garage wall including the insulation which is back to back with the foyer and closet.. Right now the garage is very cold so no odor is detected in there. I will be trying to convince my hubby to cut the hole in the garage wall but will be patient for a couple weeks to see what the KILZ does.

Jan 2, 2008, 07:22 PM
    Mice would quite smelling after about 3 weeks so it looks like they are not your problem. Let us know how this goes.

Jan 3, 2008, 09:06 AM
    Guess we will rule out mice. Will keep you posted.
    lemony Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2008, 12:16 PM
    You could try running a dehumidifier - if it is mold, lower humidity will discourage growth and the air movement might reduce the smell.

Jan 11, 2008, 12:33 PM
    Seems like KILZ Odorless is doing the job. Have did the final painting. Also have installed louvered doors for better air flow. Thanks for all the suggestions and hopefully this odor does not return. New Jersey

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Musty odor smell [ 1 Answers ]

I have had a musty odor smell in my house for a couple of weeks. It seems like it is coming from our heating vents. We had problems with tiny nats flying around. Our plumbing was out and said they were drain nats and filled our drains with this gel. They disappeared but now they are back. Could...

Musty smell in water [ 1 Answers ]

Recently our municipal water switched from treated well to treated lake Michigan water. Brand new pipeline. Since the new water was supposed to be half the hardness and wanting to save money on our now outrageous water bill, I bypassed my water softener. After 2 weeks, I'm now getting a slight...

Musty odor in daughters bedroom [ 2 Answers ]

We are trying to get the musty odor out of our daughters bedroom. Recently, we have been inundated with non-stop rain, and apparently some had seeped in. We pulled back the carpet, removed the damp tack boards and baseboard, cut out the damp carpet pad, and opened up the window and now have a fan...

Musty/moldy smell [ 1 Answers ]

We have noticed a strong musty/moldy smell coming from the bathroom vanity, inside of heating baseboard (there are holes where the pipes go into the wall), inside the electrical box panel and any small openings on the baseboard too. We own a slab ranch home (no basement). There are no visible...

View more questions Search