Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    clare23 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2006, 06:32 AM
    What breed is my dog crossed with
    Hi was just wondering if anyone knows what my staff puppies are crossed with? Thank you.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Nov 14, 2006, 06:50 AM
    What, exactly, is a Mystaff breed? Do you mean Mastiff? If so, see the following:

History:

Found in Britain as early as the Roman invasion, the noble Old English Mastiff was probably brought to that island by Phoenician traders as early as the 6th century BC. The 13th century explorer, Marco Polo, wrote that he saw 5000 Mastiffs at the court of the Chinese emperor Kubla Kahn; those dogs were reportedly used for hunting and in war. Since then, humans have used the Mastiff as an arena gladiator in the bloody sports of bull, bear, and dog combat, as a sheep guardian, as a cart puller during war, and as a personal bodyguard, protector, and companion. A Mastiff came to America on the Mayflower; the colonists subsequently imported others of this majestic breed. By the end of World War II, Mastiffs were almost extinct in England, because the English believed it was unpatriotic to keep a dog that ate as much as a soldier should. However, with fresh imports from the United States and Canada, the breed is once again well established in today's England and has become a dog that is revered for both its protective abilities and its extraordinary gentleness.

A Mastiff is a giant breed of dog, descended from the ancient Alaunt and Molosser. Today, mastiff is used to describe many different breeds around the world, all descended from the same root stock. In the US and other English speaking countries, Mastiff is used to refer to the Old English Mastiff (OEM), developed in England and nearly extinct after WW II. With that in mind, Mastiffs (OEMs) are generally very large dogs; fawn, apricot or brindle in color; all with a black mask and ears; possessing a medium to short coat with very little white (which, if it appears, should be confined to the chest but often appears on the toes as well). There is no upper height limit and no weight range in the Mastiff Standard. In height they generally range from the Standard's minimum of 27 1/2 inches up to 36 inches for the exceptionally tall ones. They can weigh anywhere from 110 pounds to the 343 pounds of Zorba, the world's largest dog, although most Mastiff males weigh around 160-230 pounds and females around 120-170 pounds. This breed is supposed to be very broad with a huge head, wide chest and large bone, and is longer in body than in height the Mastiff Conformation Standard.

Mastiffs are not supposed to resemble Great Danes except possibly in height, nor Saint Bernards, except for the bone, width, chest and large head. They should not be as wrinkled as a Neapolitan nor as dome headed as a Dogue de Bordeaux, nor 'houndy' like a Fila Brasileiro. Mastiffs possess characteristics unique to the breed, especially the head with a broad, deep muzzle with flews hanging over the bottom lip, giving the head a square appearance. A Mastiff should possess a calm, self assured temperament and be devoted to its family and friends. Mastiffs should not be aggressive to humans or other animals, including other dogs, although, unfortunately, some of them are. Mastiffs should be steady, gentle, eager for affection, good with children, calm and self assured, and used primarily as a family companion

While it is correct that the breed of mastiff dog developed in England has pre-empted the official name of 'Mastiff', according to the AKC's 'The Complete Dog Book', 18th Edition, "The breed commonly called "Mastiff" in English speaking countries is more properly described as the 'Old English' Mastiff." From the same source: "The term 'mastiff' describes a group of giant varieties of dogs rather than a single breed." Today this group of giant breed dogs is more commonly referred to as 'Molossers'.

Nov 14, 2006, 06:53 AM
    It was meant to say my staff puppies.

Nov 14, 2006, 06:53 AM
    Please email me at [email protected] as I can't seem to get the pic up.
    doggie_poopie Posts: 252, Reputation: 19

Nov 14, 2006, 06:49 PM
    Please send me a private email with a picture. I have had years of training at shelters and vet clinics on breed ID'ing. However, it is also important to look at the way a dog moves, conformation and personality. Not just the color. Also, what type of dogs run loose in your area or are in the shelters around you?

Nov 15, 2006, 02:11 AM
    Hi thanks doggie_poopie. I would have sent you a private email but I don't no your email address. How do I do it as I'm new to this. When I got the dog she had all ready been on heat and the other owner don't no what got hold of her either. So we don't no what has mated with her. My email address is [email protected] thanks.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

1993 Civic Jumper Cables Crossed [ 6 Answers ]

We tried to Jump the car, but of course broke the golden rule, DON'T CROSS THE WIRES!! Now there is nothing happening after I have switched in a Brand New Battery. Are there some simple test I can do to check, or is it too late for anything?

Can someone tell me what some people who crossed over need to say [ 2 Answers ]

Some very close people have crossed over I was wondering if they wanted to say something why did I loose my house in a fire and why was I brought back here why did I have to misscarages and is there any more children in my future what is in the future for the children I have will my luck ever...

Fingers crossed! [ 1 Answers ]

Ok... I may be just getting excited too soon... which I often do but something new is going on... yesterday I noticed when I went to the bathroom that I had a light pink discharge... but it was only when I used the bathroom... then last night I had some very light spotting... I am an 8 day heavy...

I want to find out what my dog is crossed with [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I'm new to this site... but I was hoping someone would be able to help me cause my best friend (my dog) passed away recently and we never got to find out exactly what breed he was. All we were ever told was that he was a Border Collie cross. Can anyone please help me, we think he may have...

Cross Breed Dog [ 0 Answers ]

Inbreeding brings out recessive traits. Closely related dogs are more likely to have the same recessive problems. I have heard of deliberately breeding siblings to see if there are problems. If that doesn't produce problems, then likely there won't be problems breeding to other dogs. So the...

View more questions Search