Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Feb 17, 2014, 08:53 PM
    confirmation of the war
    Growing up in a climate of fear - The Drum (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

This isn't a war againt people at least not yet, but it will be when the populations shift, where will the millions in Bangladesh go, just as an example, to the west seems logical, they can't go south, they can't go north, there are natural barriers and the east doesn't offer land and opportunity. To do so invites war. Where will the millions of Indonesia and the Phillipines go when their islands flood? I know one place where it will be pointless for them to come because there will be less water than there is now. What is a food basket will become marginal lands. hemned in by the vast Pacific and Indian Oceans they have two choices, neither of which are optimal or even logical. Nor are these instances the tip of the iceberg because every option invites war.

Right now we can't stop a war in Syria, how will we stop the wars of the future?, the climate wars
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Feb 17, 2014, 09:18 PM
    Where will Australians go for that matter after a major climate catastrophe?
    Ultra Member

Feb 17, 2014, 10:21 PM
    For us Tasmania is a possibility whilst our population isn't too large, if Britain could do it so could we. But we shouldn't worry about Australia we understand the harsh realities of climate since we have every expression within our borders, our concerns rest beyond our borders since those to the north will have to go somewhere and an ocean represents an immediate boundry forcing them in the other direction, Africa is a possibility, they could reverse the initial migration paths.

If we have concerns for climate change they are that our farm land becomes marginal
    Expert

Feb 17, 2014, 11:16 PM
    But Clete what if they process you to a gulag you know like Manus Island before they let you walk freely about. After all you would be a refugee?
    Ultra Member

Feb 18, 2014, 12:53 AM
    Not in Tasmania, we have owned it for a long time as a place of last retreat, of course we may just give the mainland back to the abo's, they understand living in a harsh environment with no modern conveniences
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Feb 24, 2014, 12:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by paraclete View Post
    Tens of thousands evacuated, flights cancelled, as Indonesia's Mt Kelud volcano erupts - Australia Network News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

this is the second Indonesian volcano in eruption mode and this is far more massive that the first, remember we are only ever five volcanos away from nuclear winter, so I expect this one will be a game changer for the time being, Just the other day we were told that an indonesian volcano is responsible for the foul weather in the UK, apparently it has disrupted the jet stream or destabilised other weather systems. I would like to know who is to blame for the CO2 and methane and other greenhouse gasses it is spewing, can we count that against Indonesian targets, do they even have a target?
    Didn't I mention the other day that the pseudo-scientists of climate change love to change their models to cover the repeated failure of their alarmist predictions to materialize? Yes, I believe I did, and here we go again...

Volcanic eruptions ‘contributed to global warming pause’, scientists claim

“We show that climate model simulations without the effects of early 21st century volcanic eruptions overestimate the tropospheric warming observed since 1998,” wrote Dr Benjamin Santer in the journal Nature Geoscience.
    And that's the problem with basing your science on simulations, it ain't the real thing.
    Tuttyd Posts: 53, Reputation: 4

Feb 24, 2014, 12:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx View Post
    Didn't I mention the other day that the pseudo-scientists of climate change love to change their models to cover the repeated failure of their alarmist predictions to materialize? Yes, I believe I did, and here we go again...

Volcanic eruptions 'contributed to global warming pause', scientists claim

And that's the problem with basing your science on simulations, it ain't the real thing.
    It's called modifying the hypothesis in the hope of saving the theory. I think I mentioned that before in a different thread.
    Ultra Member

Feb 24, 2014, 01:28 PM
    AKA moving the goalpost.
    Tuttyd Posts: 53, Reputation: 4

Feb 24, 2014, 01:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx View Post
    AKA moving the goalpost.
    You could call it that, but as I pointed out before that's how science works.

Best not to idealize science too much.
    Ultra Member

Feb 24, 2014, 02:28 PM
    we need to get this straight there is science and there is climate change theory. we should stop calling computer predictions science
    Expert

Feb 24, 2014, 04:50 PM
    And this I how politics and money works

Exxon CEO sues to stop fracking project, hurts his property values#

As ExxonMobil's CEO, it's Rex Tillerson's job to promote the hydraulic fracturing enabling the recent oil and gas boom, and fight regulatory oversight. The oil company is the biggest natural gas producer in the U.S., relying on the controversial drilling technology to extract it. The exception is when Tillerson's $5 million property value might be harmed. Tillerson has joined a lawsuit that cites fracking's consequences in order to block the construction of a 160-foot water tower next to his and his wife's Texas home.
    The Wall Street Journal reports the tower would supply water to a nearby fracking site, and the plaintiffs argue the project would cause too much noise and traffic from hauling the water from the tower to the drilling site. The water tower, owned by Cross Timbers Water Supply Corporation, “will sell water to oil and gas explorers for fracing [sic] shale formations leading to traffic with heavy trucks on FM 407, creating a noise nuisance and traffic hazards,” the suit says.
    Ultra Member

Feb 24, 2014, 04:52 PM
    what goes around comes around
    Ultra Member

Feb 27, 2014, 08:09 AM
    Greenpeace co-founder: No scientific evidence of man-made global warming

I expect CNN to jump on this and inform him the debate is over.
    Ultra Member

Feb 27, 2014, 09:11 AM
    Now that a Greenpeace co-founder has been outed as a denier, back to fear-mongering "science."

Study: Global Warming Will Cause 180,000 More Rapes by 2099
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 27, 2014, 09:23 AM
    Hello again, Steve:I've said this before, but it bears repeating..

I'm NOT a scientist.. I'm just a guy looking around. When I was a kid, we used to throw our trash on the ground, I guess cause we thought the land was soooo big, that the trash wouldn't matter.. But, it did.

When I was in the Navy, we threw our trash off the fantail of the ship, I guess cause we thought the ocean was soooo big, that the trash wouldn't matter... But, it did.

Now, we're throwing our trash into the air, I guess because we think it's sooo big, that the trash won't matter... But, it does, and I can't imagine ANYONE thinking it doesn't..

excon

Ultra Member

Feb 27, 2014, 10:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello again, Steve:

I've said this before, but it bears repeating..

I'm NOT a scientist.. I'm just a guy looking around. When I was a kid, we used to throw our trash on the ground, I guess cause we thought the land was soooo big, that the trash wouldn't matter.. But, it did.

When I was in the Navy, we threw our trash off the fantail of the ship, I guess cause we thought the ocean was soooo big, that the trash wouldn't matter... But, it did.

Now, we're throwing our trash into the air, I guess because we think it's sooo big, that the trash won't matter... But, it does, and I can't imagine ANYONE thinking it doesn't..

excon

Hello again ex,

For the 9726th time, no one thinks throwing trash in the air is a good thing. CO2 is not trash, plants need it. But I don't like smog any more than the next guy.

Now, lying to us about climate change isn't a good thing either. Fear-mongering about climate change - especially while profiting nicely off your preaching while leaving a huge carbon footprint - isn't a good thing. Enriching your political cronies off of climate change, isn't a good thing. Using climate change as a power grab, isn't a good thing. Using the jackboot approach against those who may disagree with you or, egad, dare to actually present research that contradicts your agenda, isn't a good thing.

One might think you and I would agree on those things, too.
    Expert

Feb 27, 2014, 10:39 AM
    If CO2 was all they spewed from factories and refineries you may have a point (Naw you don't since we humans can't breath high levels of CO2, or low levels for very long... science!), but fact is there are many other bi products of burning fossil fuels.

Science-
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...1022151535.htm

Science-
    Fossil Fuel Combustion Waste | Special Wastes | Wastes | US EPA

More science-
    Fossil fuel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Combustion of fossil fuels generates sulfuric, carbonic, and nitric acids, which fall to Earth as acid rain, impacting both natural areas and the built environment. Monuments and sculptures made from marble and limestone are particularly vulnerable, as the acids dissolve calcium carbonate.
    Fossil fuels also contain radioactive materials, mainly uranium and thorium, which are released into the atmosphere. In 2000, about 12,000 tonnes of thorium and 5,000 tonnes of uranium were released worldwide from burning coal.[SIZE=3][28][/SIZE] It is estimated that during 1982, US coal burning released 155 times as much radioactivity into the atmosphere as the Three Mile Island incident.[SIZE=3][29][/SIZE]
    Burning coal also generates large amounts of bottom ash and fly ash. These materials are used in a wide variety of applications, utilizing, for example, about 40% of the US production.[SIZE=3][30][/SIZE]..................................Moreover, these environmental pollutions impacts on the human beings because its particles of the fossil fuel on the air cause negative health effects when inhaled by people. These health effects include premature death, acute respiratory illness, aggravated asthma, chronic bronchitis and decreased lung function. So, the poor, undernourished, very young and very old, and people with preexisting respiratory disease and other ill health, are more at risk.[SIZE=3][33][/SIZE]
    You have obviously never lived by heavy industrial factories or refineries. Why do you think your car has to have an omission check regularly?
    Ultra Member

Feb 27, 2014, 10:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    If CO2 was all they spewed from factories and refineries you may have a point (Naw you don't since we humans can't breath high levels of CO2, or low levels for very long... science!), but fact is there are many other bi products of burning fossil fuels.

Science-
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...1022151535.htm

Science-
    Fossil Fuel Combustion Waste | Special Wastes | Wastes | US EPA

More science-
    Fossil fuel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You have obviously never lived by heavy industrial factories or refineries. Why do you think your car has to have an omission check regularly?
    For the 9727th time, no one thinks throwing trash in the air is a good thing. Now address the rest of my post.

P.S. I also said, "I don't like smog any more than the next guy," so what was the point of your post?
    Expert

Feb 27, 2014, 10:55 AM
    Lots more science to be learned and applied better.
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Feb 27, 2014, 10:59 AM
    I guess all this snow and bitter cold weather is because its gotten so warm out?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why was the Hundred Years War such a pivotal war in European history? [ 0 Answers ]

2. Why was the Hundred Years War such a pivotal war in European history?

Climate change?? [ 35 Answers ]

Hello: Look, I'm a climate change denier too, but this is some crazy weather we're having, huh? So, even though global warming is a hoax, if my home had been destroyed by Sandy, I wouldn't temp fate again. I'd move or rebuild it on stilts. You? 98% of the worlds scientists AGREE that...

Latest weapon in the war on climate change [ 40 Answers ]

Or global climate disruptions or whatever they call it these days, the latest weapon to save the planet is... the official EPA climate change rap. I'm speechless.

World War two prisnor of war camps [ 4 Answers ]

There was movie I saw, back in like the early 70's. The story line was a prisnor of war camp along the German/Swiss border or German/Austrian border. The POW's build a glider and launch it from the ridge of the top floor roof, using a tub that is dropped from several stories to provided the...

Is the Iraq War just merely a political conflict or really a War? [ 10 Answers ]

The Iraq War has been awfully quiet these days. I read historical documentaries about other wars and, every time there's a war, It would cause much panic and it would all be on the news and everything. Officials would be all over the nation trying to find recruits and signs are up. But the Iraq...

View more questions Search