Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 1, 2014, 09:44 AM
    Hello again, Steve:
    It's hilarious, nothing like an anti gun lib
    I'm for a universal background check. To YOU, I spose, that makes me anti gun too. But, like Wendy, I'm a westerner. I grew up in a gun culture. I have marksmanship medals from my time in the military.. I LOVE guns. If it weren't for certain circumstances, I'd have a gun TODAY.

What's hilarious, is your refusal to support a universal background check. That would PREVENT people like me from getting guns. But, noooooo... You think that if you made it IMPOSSIBLE for me to buy guns at a shop OR a gun show, you believe I'd just waltz on down to the hood and buy one from my fellow criminals..

But, lo and behold, I'm OLD, WHITE, and I DON'T have tattoos.. If I wandered down to the hood to buy a gun with CASH in my hand, I'm gonna get my little white, excon a$$ shot off. There are MILLIONS of people like me. Seems like you'd WANNA stop us from getting guns... But, nahhhhh.. You don't. I thought you didn't LIKE criminals...

excon
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Feb 1, 2014, 09:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx View Post
    Offends? It's hilarious, nothing like an anti gun lib trying to look like a bada$$ to get votes. It's like Dukakis in a tank.
    Sarah was hilarious too (still is!! )! 90% of Americans support gun safety/control, but 10% are holding it up. What's wrong with that picture?
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Feb 2, 2014, 06:28 AM
    A) we already have background checks and B) I pay no attention to stats pulled out of your arse and C) Texans pay no attention to fakes like Wendy Davis.
    Uber Member

Feb 2, 2014, 06:57 AM
    Hello again, Steve:

I don't mind arguing with you over what the FACTS on the ground MEAN. But, it's difficult to argue with you when you DENY the facts on the ground..

Fact #1. There are NO universal background checks. I can buy a gun at a gun show WITHOUT going through a background check.. That's just so.

Fact #2. Apparently, you think I'm the ONLY old, white, tattooless, exconvict in the land, who have NO contacts with the criminal underground.. That's so, too.

Fact #3. If Texans didn't care about Wendy, WHY, oh WHY would you post about her and spend so much time putting her down? Oh, you care... You REALLY care, cause she's gonna WIN.

excon
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Feb 2, 2014, 12:06 PM
    Fact #1 is incorrect. Can you explain what your trying to talk about?
    Expert

Feb 2, 2014, 12:38 PM
    'Universal background check:' What does it mean? - CNN.com

Just how many gun purchases don't require federal background checks, and how does that happen?

Forty percent of all firearms purchased in the United States are sold without background checks because the guns aren't purchased from a federally licensed firearms dealer, Nichols said.
    Rather, those weapons are bought at gun shows, on street corners, over the Internet or from friends or neighbors, Nichols said.
    If you're criminal, you give a non criminal a few bucks and they buy a gun. Or 20, or a hundred. The bigger question is in light of the evidence of major shootings being done with guns purchased legally how do you stop crazy people from getting them? Or a gang banger with no record?

For many though background checks are NOT universal,
    "We don't know what (is the) percentage at gun shows. It may be 10%," Keene said. "It's not such a loophole at gun shows. But it's like if you sell me your shotgun, that's a private transaction. Just as if I sell you a car, I don't have a dealer's license."
    Ten states and the District of Columbia have their own laws requiring background checks for any firearm sold at a gun show, Nichols said.
    Six more states require background checks for gun-show sales of handguns, but not for rifles or shotguns, Nichols said.
    In total, 16 states and the District of Columbia require background checks on handguns sold at gun shows, Nichols said.
    These states that close loopholes, however, provide exemptions for gun transfers between immediate family members and between licensed dealers, Nichols said.
    Internet Research Expert

Feb 2, 2014, 02:24 PM
    Wow. Somebody needs to fact check better if they are going to write a reputable article on such a hot button issue. It is Illegal to buy a gun over the internet as if it were a private sale. All guns sold over the internet that are not subject to private sale must go through a FFL of some kind unless you have a license yourself to own the gun like under the rules of CC&R.
    Expert

Feb 2, 2014, 02:50 PM
    Buying a Ton of Guns on the Internet Is Cheap, Legal, and Shockingly Easy

GunAuction.com - How To Buy a Gun Online by Manny DelaCruz

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/17/us...d%253Dall&_r=0

Did my home work. There are obviously holes in the law that need closing.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Feb 2, 2014, 04:57 PM
    You can't close loopholes in the law, Tal the Republicans are agin it. They's like their loopholes in the tax law, in the gun laws. where do you think these loopholes came from?
    Internet Research Expert

Feb 2, 2014, 05:10 PM
    Nope Tal. Looks like you get an F on your homework. Sure you can buy a gun through internet sales. But dont be mistaken. That gun is going to come with a background check. To do otherwise would be highly illegal. The gun unless sold through private sale will pass through a FFL holder.

I stand by what I said earlier. Now what loophole are you talking about ?
    Expert

Feb 2, 2014, 09:03 PM
    Well Dad the way I see it, ordinary law abiding citizens aren't the problem. It's the criminals and crazies that are. You may go to an FFL guy, but they never do. But we seem to be always talking about undiagnosed or fall under the radar psychopathic nut cases who buy guns LEGALLY. Then kill people. There is a hole in the law somewhere.

What's your solution? Since you deny any criminals (or crazy) can get guns at will from many sources.
    Ultra Member

Feb 2, 2014, 09:39 PM
    Tal you know the solution as well as I do, you have to remove the access to guns to all but essential services and licenced shooters but you also have to vet the licenced shooters so that their guns are kept in a safe place, proper gun storage and limit the number of weapons they possess. If you get a drivers licence you don't just get it forever and it should be the same for a gun licence. You should have a special licence for high powered weapons and have to show justification why you should own it, You also have to remove the access to certain weapons. I know it is a cultural thing, a macho thing, but surely community safety is more important than gun ownership for the sake of gun ownership
    Internet Research Expert

Feb 3, 2014, 04:16 AM
    Clete, For the most part here in America if you get a drivers license it is for a lifetime so long as you pay the renewal fees and dont do anything that takes it away.

Restricting ownership means restricting choice. So your trying to say no one should be a collector because it is too many guns. Many guns under ownership are parts of personal collections and never fired. Why the need to ban those?
    Ultra Member

Feb 3, 2014, 05:36 AM
    The idea dad is that where such collections exist they can be a source of weapons for criminals by way of them being stolen, if you want to have a collection have it in safe storage, but be specifically licenced and your security checked regularily. look, in my nation we used to allow possession of automatic and semi automatic weapons, after the Port Arthur massacre the right of such possession was removed and there has not been another occurence of such an event. We proved conclusively that gun control works, yes sometimes there is death by shooting, criminals still acquire illegal weapons but they do not acquire them legally. Most gun violence is criminals on criminals with few ordinary citizens being killed by guns. I have had personal experience where the ownership of such weapons offered opportunity for them to be stolen and used in a seige situation by a disturbed person. this was before Port Arthur and wouldn't be likely to happen today. There has been no attempt by government to force extremism either right or left on the nation, in fact we feel safer because we know a neighbour won't have such a weapon if they go nuts
    Uber Member

Feb 3, 2014, 06:30 AM
    Hello again,

I went to a gun show up at Evergreen Fairgrounds. You can tell who the FFL's are. They have SIGNS, and BOOTHS, and stuff. You KNOW they're dealers.. Then, when you look around, you see some guys hanging around with several gun belts over their shoulders, and guns sticking out of every pocket.. He's NOT shopping. He's STANDING there.

Now, both you and I know what he's doing there. I'm not suggesting that he's doing anything illegal, but he is SELLING guns. And, if I buy a gun from HIM, I don't have to go through a background check... Now, I suppose I could have found him on the internet or though an add in the paper... But, I didn't. I found him at a GUN SHOW. And, IF I buy a gun from him, I don't have to go through a background check.

You KNOW that to be so, but you'll probably deny it anyway.

excon
    Ultra Member

Feb 3, 2014, 07:52 AM
    Fact #3. If Texans didn't care about Wendy, WHY, oh WHY would you post about her and spend so much time putting her down? Oh, you care... You REALLY care, cause she's gonna WIN.
    LOL, she stands as much a chance as the Broncos did last night.
    Ultra Member

Feb 3, 2014, 08:19 AM
    After being harassed by the feds for most likely political reasons Gibson is celebrating with its first Government Series II Les Paul guitar.

Government Series II Les Paul
    Great Gibson electric guitars have long been a means of fighting the establishment, so when the powers that be confiscated stocks of tonewoods from the Gibson factory in Nashville—only to return them once there was a resolution and the investigation ended—it was an event worth celebrating. Introducing the Government Series II Les Paul, a striking new guitar from Gibson USA for 2014 that suitably marks this infamous time in Gibson’s history.

From its solid mahogany body with modern weight relief for enhance resonance and playing comfort, to its carved maple top, the Government Series II Les Paul follows the tradition of the great Les Paul Standards—but also makes a superb statement with its unique appointments. A distinctive vintage-gloss Government Tan finish, complemented by black-chrome hardware and black plastics and trim, is topped by a pickguard that’s hot-stamped in gold with the Government Series graphic—a bald eagle hoisting a Gibson guitar neck. Each Government Series II Les Paul also includes a genuine piece of Gibson USA history in its solid rosewood fingerboard, which is made from wood returned to Gibson by the US government after the resolution.

And because it’s a Gibson, the Government Series II Les Paul is a pure and powerful tone machine. Aided by a pair of Dirty Fingers+ pickups, among the hottest humbuckers Gibson has ever produced, this historic Les Paul is ready and willing to wage war on tonal timidity—and to get you heard in the process! Add a set of high-quality Grover™ tuners, a black hardshell case with Government Series graphic, a Certificate of Authenticity personally signed by Gibson CEO Henry Juszkiewicz, and legendary Gibson quality and craftsmanship: this is one mighty Les Paul that you’ll want to confiscate quickly and turn to your own creative devices. The Government Series II is limited by the availability of qualifying woods, so seize yours now from your authorized Gibson USA dealer.
    LOL, go Gibson.
    Internet Research Expert

Feb 3, 2014, 11:17 AM
    ex, I have seen the same thing except they hang out outside and not inside where the gunshow is. If the State where this took place allows for private sales then yes it is a reality. Many gun shows now do not allow parking lot sales. They self police and police are at hand to remove people from the premisis including the parking lot. Universal background checks would eliminate that part of it. The holding point is nobody wants it to turn into universal registration of guns. There is a difference.
    Expert

Feb 3, 2014, 12:35 PM
    So fear of universal registration is the reason NO actions are taken?

>Knock knock?<

>Who's there?<

>The gun collector, we want your guns!! <

Really?
    Internet Research Expert

Feb 3, 2014, 12:43 PM
    Lets look at an example Tal. New York, San Francisco and Chicago. Need I say more ?

I dont object to gun background checks. I do oppose registration.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search