Dogs Expert

Feb 11, 2010, 06:36 PM
    Sorry here is a better link.

Gentle Leader Product Description - Premier Pet
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Feb 11, 2010, 06:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurora_Bell View Post
    Do they come with better clips? Chewy figured out how to open those kind of clips, that's why his regular leash in leather, closes like a belt. So far he hasn't figured that out. ;)

I'm willing to try one. I'm desperate. I hate the choker but so far that's the only thing that works all the time.

Thanks everyone. :)
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Feb 11, 2010, 07:12 PM

Make sure you get the actual gentel leader, not a halty, it has to be called Gentel Leader...
    Those clips are hard to get undone! I have a hard time with them lol! Although that won't be the first time a dog out smarts me.
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Feb 12, 2010, 10:13 AM

Gentle leaders are awesome. You can adjust how tight you want the nose band. I've had dogs escape from the halty too. They get their toes under the band and slip it right off. Haven't had an escapee from the gentle leader yet. The nose band is adjustable. You can have it as tight as you want it or as loose as you want.

You can get them at petsmart/petco.
    Dogs Expert

Feb 12, 2010, 10:19 AM

You should probably have it fit by a pro, like a vet or a trainer, only because if they aren't fitting ow they should for your breeds snout, then they can be escaped. When I was fitting Lady I thought I had it down pat, seemed sung in all areas, ended up being too loose.
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Feb 12, 2010, 11:05 AM

For a beagle, it should be size either small or medium depending on the size of the dogs head. You can always ask the "pet trainer" to help you fit the collar. I know they're capable of doing that.. haha

The gentle leaders are pretty easy to fit.. I use to always pull them out of the package and try different sizes on until I found the one that fit my clients dog. As long as you put it back in the box, no one will care :) lol
    Pets Expert

Feb 12, 2010, 03:36 PM

I'll definitely check it out, there's a petsmart really close to my house, I'll take Chewy with me so we can fit it properly.

It would be really nice to get rid of the choker chain and be able to walk him without constantly worrying he'll get loose.

He's a sneaky pup. ;)

Thanks for the great tips. I'll let you know how it works out.
    Dogs Expert

Feb 17, 2010, 09:34 AM

So... have you tried it yet??
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Feb 18, 2010, 05:01 PM

Hey Lucky, I wasn't sure where to post this but I'll just go here anyway.
    I found this pic on ihasahotdog and thought it was just brilliant.

Cheap solution for your dog that eats too fast!!
    (Can't believe I never thought of this!)
    Attached Images

Pets Expert

Feb 18, 2010, 10:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurora_Bell View Post
    So.... have you tried it yet???
    I was all ready to go to the store and check it out when hubby let his car run out of gas completely and now the fuel pump is wrecked. We have to replace it.

Hubby is in school right now, for another week. Money is tight so I just can't warrant spending even one extra penny when I know we have a big bill coming up with his truck.

I've been getting up early the last two days, with the kids, to drive him to school in the morning (45 minute drive) then drive back and drop the kids off at school and then the reverse in the afternoon, kids then hubby. I'm spending more time in my van then I do when we go on vacation. :(

The dogs are all thinking we're crazy. When the alarm went off 2 hours earlier then usual this morning Chewy gave me the most pathetic look. When I got home I got the "Where the heck have you been?" look. Poor Indy was doing the pee pee dance, he wouldn't go out before I left and by the time I got back he was really desperate. At least he held it, that hasn't been the case for a while.

When hubby goes back to work, after his first paycheck and the truck being fixed, I'll go get the collar.

Kind of sad that money is this tight. :(
    Dogs Expert

Feb 19, 2010, 05:33 AM

I wish we lived closer, I have one that was only used 2-3 times it was from a cocker I fosterd. I don't think I will be fostering anytime soon, and Lady has 2 and Max has 2! I also have a brand new martin Gale collar never been used. I bought it for Lady, but she really didn't need and excelled with the Gentel Leader.

Alty I hear you about the money situation. I am totally living paycheck to paycheck right now! My head is spinning. My daughter has been really sick, and I have had to miss some time at work. I have no more sick days left as I used them when my daughter and I were in the hospital for 3 weeks with H1N1!
    Luckily it's starting to get into busy season and I will get the chance to work some over time. Which I won't be paid for seeing as I have to make up the few days I have missed with my daughter this week.
    Next week she starts with the pediatrician appointments, so there is more time I will have to make up.

All I can say is I am glad I stumbled across this web site. The people here are amazing! I only hope that I am helping them as much you all are helping me!

*hugs*
    Aurori... (trying out new nick names :P)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Dog behavior [ 6 Answers ]

If I get my 2 year old Shih Tzu neutered will he stop marking his territory by urinating and also stop humping my leg?

Dog Behavior [ 4 Answers ]

I would like to ask 2 questions just for information please. 1. Do dogs crouch when they are about to attack a prey or run in a crouching position toward an attack? I noticed this in a Pit Bull and am wondering if it is common among dogs. 2. My dog was able to forcefully pull his head backwards...

Dog behavior [ 3 Answers ]

My 11 month old lab was very sick when she was young. She seems healthy now and has tons of energy. Whenever you put a coat on or pick up a leash she goes beserk - jumping barking etc. She also will not release a ball or stick - you have to pry it from her mouth. Obviously we would like a change in...

Dog behavior [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 1 year old female Doxie who has been fixed. She is very possesive off me. I am considering getting another sml breed puppy and would like advise on what breed goes with a doxie and would she get along best with a male or female.

View more questions Search