Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    H. Bunch Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Feb 23, 2006, 05:04 AM
    Sealing drain for acrylic, Swanstone, other plastics
    I have always used plumber's putty to seat a drain to the sink or tub. With the new "plastics" the recommendation is for one to use silicone instead because the plumber's putty is oil-based and presumably will cause degradation of the "plastic". The silicone does not seem to seal as well, particularly for shower and vanity drains which require twisting. Anyone have any suggestions?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 23, 2006, 06:26 AM
    We have always used silicon jel for sealing drains on marble lavatories because the oil in the putty would leach out into the marble. They must have changed plastic since I retired because we always used putty on our tub and lavatory drains. When installing a lav or tub/shower drain the lip of the drain shouldn't "twist". If you let it twist it will spin out the seal. Regards, Tom
    H. Bunch Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Feb 23, 2006, 03:16 PM
    I suspect that most plumbers use plumber's putty still. I do like to follow the manufacturer's specs generally, but in this case, I have had problems doing so. What I mean twisting is, like in the case of a lav sink, you have to position the drain so the pop-up is positioned towards the back and thus the drain can shift around while you get it positioned properly.
    shader Posts: 235, Reputation: 12

Feb 23, 2006, 05:03 PM
    The acrylics used in today's plumbing fixtures are a whole new ball game. Petroleum based sealers, like plumbers putty, react with the plastics, and will at best discolor the drain or fixture and at worst cause the drain to break or distort. When only a silicone or latex sealer is called for, it should be used. The same applies to piping; don't use regular (petro based) pipe thread compound on PVC pipe. Any plumber that used putty when only silicone/latex is called for is doing his customer a disservice. I replaced numerous drains using the required silcone and never had a problem. Make sure everything is clean and dry and put a generous bead in the indentation where the drain sits. The excess will squeeze out when the drain is installed. Wipe the excess going around the drain which will leave a nice seal around the outer edge. Be sure and let the silicone dry thoroughly before using. As Speedball stated, you shouldn't have to "twist" the drain when installing.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Acrylic Tub [ 3 Answers ]

Ten months ago we had our bathroom remodeled and, in turn, a new acrylic tub installed by our contractor. Now, there is a crack approximately 12inches long running down the middle of the tub and the area is bowed. We are assuming there was no concrete or mortar placed before the tub was inserted....

Acrylic vs. Silk nails [ 9 Answers ]

I am considering fake nails, but know nothing about them. What is the difference between acrylic, silk or gell set? Do they damage real nails? Which is the least damaging? I want a french manicure and understand that certain types of artificial nails have the polish in/on them and do not chip. ...

Bad Caulking on Acrylic Tub Cover [ 1 Answers ]

Sent : Thursday, August 17, 2006 9:33 AM To : <[email protected]> Subject : Re Tom, I don't know if this next problem falls under the "plumbing" category, but you've helped me so much with two other things, I figure I'll give it a shot. A few years ago, we had an acrylic tub put right...

Sealing Outdoor concrete [ 2 Answers ]

We have a colored concrete driveway located in Southern Colorado that is about a year old and it is starting to look uneven/stained. We were told the driveway should be sealed and have had a rather high estimate provided for several thousand dollars. First, my experience w/ sealing is it only...

Sealing steel bathtub drain [ 4 Answers ]

Help! I am having my old cast-iron stack replaced with PVC so that I can add a third floor bathroom. The first and second floor toilet and tub connections were also replaced, with one problem. We can't get the new drain for the second floor tub to seal properly. The tub is steel and the rim of...

View more questions Search