Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jahubb Posts: 27, Reputation: 1

Jan 18, 2008, 01:19 PM
    Direct Write off method
    Please tell me if I'm answering the following question correct.
    On May 1, EZ Plumbing buys materials with a list price of $550. At the time of the purchase, EZ gives Halpin a check for $225 and asks Halpin to put the remainder of the purchase on its account, which already has a balance of $475. On July 1, EZ goes out of business without making any additional purchases or payments. Halpin learns it will be unable to collect the outstanding receivable balance. Halpin uses the direct write off method to account for bad debts.
    1.) The amount Halpin Plumbing supplies should record as sales revenue for the May 1 transaction is. a. 55 b.495 c.540 d. 550. I answered $550 is this correct?

2.)What journal entry will Halpin make to recort the May 1 sale
    a. Debit Sales Revenue, Credit Accounts Receivable
    b. Credit Sales Revenue, Debit Accounts REceivable
    c. Debit Sales Revenue, Debit Cash, Credit Accounts Receivable
    d. Credit Sales Revenue, Debit Cash, Debit Accounts Receivable
    I answered b, but if they paid $225 cash should it be c ?

3.) What balance will Halpin's accounts receivable subsidiary ledger show for EZ plumbing immediately after the May 1 sale?
    delite Posts: 202, Reputation: 3

Jan 18, 2008, 10:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jahubb
    Please tell me if I'm answering the following question correct.
    On May 1, EZ Plumbing buys materials with a list price of $550. At the time of the purchase, EZ gives Halpin a check for $225 and asks Halpin to put the remainder of the purchase on its account, which already has a balance of $475. On July 1, EZ goes out of business without making any additional purchases or payments. Halpin learns it will be unable to collect the outstanding receivable balance. Halpin uses the direct write off method to account for bad debts.
    1.) The amount Halpin Plumbing supplies should record as sales revenue for the May 1 transaction is. a. 55 b.495 c.540 d. 550. I answered $550 is this correct?

2.)What journal entry will Halpin make to recort the May 1 sale
    a. Debit Sales Revenue, Credit Accounts Receivable
    b. Credit Sales Revenue, Debit Accounts REceivable
    c. Debit Sales Revenue, Debit Cash, Credit Accounts Receivable
    d. Credit Sales Revenue, Debit Cash, Debit Accounts Receivable
    I answered b, but if they paid $225 cash should it be c ?

3.) What balance will Halpin's accounts receivable subsidiary ledger show for EZ plumbing immediately after the May 1 sale?
    D) is correct to record the sale of 550. DEBIT SHOULD BE CASH 225 AND A/R FOR 325.halpin's account will show;
    prior balance of 475 plus new balance of 325=800. YOU WILL ABLE TO WRITE-OFF $800; DECREASING THE RECEIVABLE AND EXPENSE BAD DEBT.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Direct write off method [ 1 Answers ]

Write -offs of uncollectible accounts receivable, $? Solve for the amount of write offs

Direct Write Off Method [ 2 Answers ]

When you're using he direct write off method, do you decrease the AR balance and net income?

View more questions Search