Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Anthony_ Posts: 38, Reputation: 1

Sep 4, 2007, 02:58 PM
    1986 chevy monte carlo shifter linkage
    Hi, I am trying to reconnect the floor shifter to the transmission, which was connected and worked before. The floor shifter inside will not move the cable underneath the car. I can see where the cable comes through the floor, there's not much cable and I don't see any damage to it. It's connected inside the car to the shifter. Seems like I am missing something or forgetting something.

The column shifter is hooked up still to the transmission, I just twist the column when I need to get in and out of gear. Does it need to be in a certain gear? Does it need to be unhooked? Thanks in advance for any input!
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Sep 4, 2007, 03:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony_
    Hi, I am trying to reconnect the floor shifter to the transmission, which was connected and worked before. The floor shifter inside will not move the cable underneath the car. I can see where the cable comes through the floor, there's not much cable and I don't see any damage to it. It's connected inside the car to the shifter. Seems like I am missing something or forgetting something.

The column shifter is hooked up still to the transmission, I just twist the column when I need to get in and out of gear. Does it need to be in a certain gear? Does it need to be unhooked? Thanks in advance for any input!
    To prevent binding and interference, the column linkage should be removed.

Set the parking brake. Put the floor shifter mechanism into neutral and with the trans in nuetral, connect and adjust the linkage together. Check after to make certain you have all the gears. Check backup lamp operation.
    gordon_104 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 5, 2010, 03:14 PM
    Hi, The common problem with these shifter cables in any GM that had floor shifters that I've run into is that there is a poor ground from the engine to the body or the battery to the body and the shifter cable then becomes the ground and mild electrical arching occurs between the inner cable to the outer housing causing it to seize up.
    Hope this helps.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lite brown thick looking oil in my 92 monte carlo [ 1 Answers ]

I kept losing water in my monte carlo so I replaced the water pump because it was leaking. I also replace the termastate because the car was over heating. After replacing those parts I was still losing water and I did not see any evidence of water anywhere. I went to change my oil and notice the...

Linkage needs adjusting? [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 95 wrangler. I am having trouble engaging first and reverse on a manual. You really have to shake the shifter to get it in gear. It only happens on 1st and R, is this a problem with my linnkage in my shifter.

Civic Shifter gets stuck [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a 96 honda civic dx and the shifter gets stuck when I move from one gear to another... either ways... when I move it up to P or down.. to D. The dashboard lights glow fine and also the key works fine. But the shifter gets stuck many times moving it up or down and I have to...

Excel Monte Carlo Simulation [ 0 Answers ]

One of the problems with derivative pricing models is that it assumes volatility is strictly proportional, so that if the stock price doubles, we assume that the volatility of the asset price will double as well. However, empirical tests suggest that the volatility doesn't?t go up as much as our...

Short shifter installation? [ 2 Answers ]

Has anyone installed a short shifter kit in a 97-01 Honda Prelude? Im looking for a solid kit that significantly shortens my throws... thanks!

View more questions Search