Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    msten Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 1, 2007, 08:13 AM
    Ex husbands debt and certain bankruptcy. How will that affect our real estate?
    My ex husband has a lot of unpaid debt that occurred after he was put on a very long administrative leave without pay. He has creditors calling him and I am certain that soon they will file a civil case against him. If they file a case against him can they take the house that we both purchased but was in both of our names before the divorce. I was solely awarded the house in the divorce which was finalized in Dec 06. They can't take anything that was awarded to me since I am not a party to any of the debt. This is debt he took out on his own when we were separated and he was with his girlfriend. I kept up the house and all the bills that he left. I want to make sure that I don't loose that too. I got a lot of debt myself by trying to maintain everything myself without any helf from him or any support at all for myself or kids but I pay the monthly payments.
    UsBlkgal Posts: 83, Reputation: 9

Aug 4, 2007, 09:01 PM
    I have a smiliar situation. I am married and own my house and car (in my name only) and I am a disabled veteran on disability. My hubby owes the IRS, can they take anything from me? Or touch my va compensation? If it matters, I am in Missouri.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Aug 5, 2007, 03:29 PM
    Any debt can be reaffirmed in a bankruptcy proceeding. This is common practice with secured debts, such as mortgages. If you were awarded the house in the divorce, then it should be solely in your name now. And if you are current with the mortgage payments, then you shouldn't have any problems. Talk with your attorney to be sure.
    Uber Member

Aug 5, 2007, 03:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by UsBlkgal
    I have a smiliar situation. I am married and own my house and car (in my name only) and I am a disabled veteran on disability. My hubby owes the irs, can they take anything from me? Or touch my va compensation? If it matters, I am in Missouri.
    Anything that is strictly in your name should be free from garnishment, assuming that only your husband owes the IRS. If it's a joint debt, then that's a different story.

Aug 5, 2007, 05:03 PM
    The debts accrued before we met and married, we are not going through a divorce, I bought the house, only my name is on it and I have had every payment automatically withdrawn from my own private bank account. I have never owed the IRS and do not have to file for taxes because I am disabled.
    Uber Member

Aug 5, 2007, 06:26 PM
    Then you should have nothing to worry about.

Aug 5, 2007, 11:00 PM
    Thanks much

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Real Estate [ 4 Answers ]

Good day all, I need your assistance. I am a 70 year old man whose wife has just passed away 2 weeks ago. I am in need of information regarding the house we lived in for over 22 years. (also married 22 years) I would like to know if I have some type of legal rights to this house. I have...

Real Estate [ 3 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I have shared a residence for the past five years. We are also sharing the cost of renovating and maintaining our residence in Pennsylvania. He would like to add my name to the deed. How can we do this?

Real estate [ 2 Answers ]

My uncle recently passed away,my aunt still lives in the house which is paid in full. She has no children and no will.She is 78 years old,and very reluctant to do a will.Her sisters believe she should do a will or the state could take her house if she passes away.My question is in the state of...

Problems with Executor of Estate not signing sales contract for real estate [ 4 Answers ]

My sister and I are the beneficiaries of our mothers will. She died when I was 17 and left my sister and I half of her estate, and named her doctor as the executor. I am now 22 and my sister is 20 (21 next month). We all agreed (verbally) to sell the family house to our father for $125k. He...

Bankruptcy and Real Estate [ 7 Answers ]

My sister and her husband have filed for bankruptcy. They are losing their home And land. Their land adjoins my property. The land has been in our family for many years, and I really need to save their property for that reason alone. I would like to buy the land but don't know how to go about...

View more questions Search