Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    UsBlkgal Posts: 83, Reputation: 9

Jul 15, 2007, 02:48 PM
    Fried at the Retail store
    I just finished reading six horror stories on a scam reporting website and was shocked that so many people would have gone through having fry's workers hang up on them and give such poor service: Have you had anything happen to you at this store?

In 2002, my best friend purchased a 52 inch RCA from Fry's (can I say that?) in Manhattan Beach CA. She paid cash with precious money that she received from a settlement.

From the beginning the television did not work. The store told her that since it was on sale (for $5000.00) that they would only repair it since she had a warranty and the t.v. (she did not know) was reconditioned.

A repairman came and took the "brain" with him and she was calling and visiting the store for two years with promises of repair.

I joined in a year or so after the fact and promptly wrote letters to every California consumer agency, the governator, both senators and her assemblyman and mayor. BBB kept giving me and my friend complaint I.D. numbers to so that we could call and get the status on our claim... they never did anything. Their offices in San Bernardino and Santa Barbara (which could have taken care of her problem) both closed for three months.

To make a long story short, our California judicial system aided Fry's in just taking money from a disabled person.

What should we have done about the situation? What would you have done?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jul 15, 2007, 03:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by UsBlkgal
    To make a long story short, our California judicial system aided Fry's in just taking money from a disabled person. What would you have done?
    Hello Blkgal:

You mention the judicial system, but you didn't say you sued them. If you had, you would have won. Frankly, that would have been my FIRST step instead of contacting bureaucrats. There is a concept in the law called the warrantee of merchantability. That means that an item must be fit for the purpose for which it was intended.

Your friend didn't buy a plant holder. She bought a TV.

excon

Jul 15, 2007, 04:08 PM
    Dear Mr. Con,

Once again, your advice has hit home! What a bunch of dunces we must have been. When I figured that one out I had moved From Southern Calif for the mid west. I tried to get her to go to Manhattan Beach courthouse, but she never did. I think that she was tired of the situation.

If I had lost five dollars I would have fought for it... but we are all the same.

I do not know why we kept thinking that someone would just make that company reimburse her?? For that kind of money I would have hired an attorney even if I had to pay him a portion of that money... ahhhhhh.

Mr Con you rock...
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Jul 15, 2007, 06:51 PM
    Did you file a claim against Fry's in small claims court? That probably would've lit a fire under them.

Jul 16, 2007, 04:49 PM
    For the life of me, I do not know why we did not think of court first. I have never been near a court and have always been able to lay my claim out in a reasonably good manner... or so I hope or think.

Since it was my best friend's deal, I only wrote the letters. In my mind I thought that someone would help her because we had documentation. I.E. letters from various offices, all of the purchase info... time of purchase, cashier name and number, manager, store number and receipt. I wish that we had thought of that.

Now I see why there are so many frivolous law suits. Maybe folks do not think that their voices will be heard. (Or maybe they are just jerks who have nothing better to do.)

Moral of the story: You can't always fight like a gentleman.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Retail store [ 2 Answers ]

Do you sell your products to retail stores?

Retail Store Basement Electrical Plan [ 5 Answers ]

I have a couple questions regarding an electrical plan for the basement below a retail store for it to meet NEC 2005. The 2 stairways are over 6 steps each and go upstairs to the retail space, not to the exterior of the building. 1. Are there any rules pertaining to location of recepatcles for...

Motherboard Fried? [ 1 Answers ]

I have an HP dv1000 notebook. I bought it last September, but the warranty is only a year, so it's no longer good, and HP wants 298.00 to fix the problem. So... I opened up my laptop the other day and turned it on and the blue indicator lights indicating power, and that the hard disk is...

Help I Think Something Has Been Fried [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Right My PC has been died. Right, a few days ago we tried to boot it up and it would come on, but the Hard drive would not boot. If it did boot then the computer would freeze up. Then one day it just stopped working. So we changed the power supply. Now the computer is getting power, the...

Japanese fried rice [ 7 Answers ]

We love to go to Goten restaurant because their fried rice is so good. It has egg and other vegetables in addition to rice. Does anyone have a recipe that would mimic theirs? It doesn't look to be a complex recipe but it tastes great... it must have some type of oil and I think the rice is...

View more questions Search