Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CreativeMom Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2007, 08:09 AM
    Apartment complex behind on water payment
    I've been living in this apartment complex for several years without issues with payment of the water until this month. Sewer and water are included in the rent. We got a disconnect notice that water service had not been paid. What recourse do I have on the management of the apartment complex?
    Superfly999 Posts: 235, Reputation: 14

Jun 22, 2007, 08:16 AM
    Firstly, since the management takes care of the water bill if you pay your rent there should not be any problem, but of course you already know this. What I would do is go to the manager's office, sit and have a talk about this; of course, I would also try to keep it professional and not rude or yelling, try to keep it civil; after all, you don't want to get on the bad side of your management while living there because if he is after you it will be no fun. I don't have any knowledge of the "laws", but if it IS included with rent just do what I said first and just ask the manager about it. If things don't go well from there I would seek more help here or from a lawyer.
    nya Posts: 55, Reputation: 8

Jun 22, 2007, 03:43 PM
    I'm not very knowledgeable of real estate law being a new landlord myself but I was a renter for years. I feel you should write a letter to management and make a copy for yourself. Your letter should state the date the water was turned off (if it is actually disconnected) and your understanding that management is responsible for the water payment. Ask if the problem with the water company will be resolved and keep this letter for your records and make a note when the water is turned back on. You should do this every time it happens so that if you want to withhold rent if this becomes an action that makes it to court, you will have all of your proof regarding the situation. Keep every letter that the management office sends to you also. It's a safeguard and I would keep everything that the water company sends to the building tenants.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 22, 2007, 06:44 PM
    The city or water department turns off the water because they have not been paid, and they will turn it off.

So you will have to file suit for damages if they don't. You need to see if this is the same with all the tennants and join together. Also you may want to get an attorney ( all tennants together) and set up a escrow account to deposit all rents into, pending outcome of this.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water Damage in Apartment [ 2 Answers ]

I live an an Apartment complex in Maryland on the ground floor. I came home Sunday to find water leaking from my bathroom ceiling. My bathroom is in my bedroom, and the carpet from my bedroom to the front door in parts of my living room was soaked. I called the leasing office right away to get...

Intermittent brown water in apartment [ 2 Answers ]

Hello all. Very happy I found this site, so useful... with so many knowledgeable answers. Having a problem with brown water appearing intermittently in my rental apartment. Have lived in apartment for 14 months and have noticed the problem half a dozen times. First noticed the problem when...

Apartment complex problems [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I have been living in my apartments for about a year and up until last week things have been fine. I wrote my rent check and gave it to the apartment on the 1st, after viewing my bank statement a couple of days later I noticed I had wrote the checkf or $20 under the needed amount, I...

Sneaky Apartment Complex Woes [ 4 Answers ]

During the heat wave this summer, my air conditioner gave out. Not only gave out, constantly froze over. My apartment complex, whose responsibilities include the AC unit, heater, and other basic utilities and their upkeep, fixed the problem _temporarily_. They stated that they had arrived at...

View more questions Search