Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    FAVOURED Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 20, 2007, 03:46 AM
    Sole custody
    [F]my question is my brother and his wife have got a divorce he no more lives in the united states he now lives in nigeria, when the wife filed for divorce she files for sole custody without consulting my brother whom would of loved to have had joint custody now she only lets my brother see his son when she is around or while one of her family are present my brother lives in nigeria but comes to the uk to see his son as regular as he can but she still has stuck to her guns of not letting my brother be alone with his son, he now wants to see if he can get joint custody since he was never consulted before she filed for the sole custody in the first place. what advise can you give him regarding asking the court to rethink the sole custody where they both have joint custody the child is only 9 years old at present please help me out since my brother is quite heartbroken by this who ordeal. ]
    vlee Posts: 454, Reputation: 109

Jun 20, 2007, 12:25 PM
    I don't know how it works in the UK, but in the US if one parent sues for custody the other has to be notified or there has to be proof of an honest attempt to notify. I doubt joint custody would be awarded anyway if the parents are residing in two different countries... it would be awfully difficult to enforce the order that way. I suggest he consult an attorney that deals in these matters.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 20, 2007, 01:02 PM
    He needs to consult with a solictor, but there is a difference between joint custody and visitation. The two are separate. Joint custody simply means that he has a say in how the child is raised. What he wants is visitation rights. To get them he will have to take her to court.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sole Custody? [ 5 Answers ]

All right, I'm pregnant and due in just over 2 weeks. It wasn't until the last week or so that my now ex-boyfriend decided that me and him should start getting along and being friends, and has started trying to be a part of my life so that he can be a part of the baby's life. I slept with one of...

Getting sole custody [ 2 Answers ]

I'm 6 months pregnant and going through a divorce (though my lawyer is trying for an annullment due to fraud on my husbands behalf). He keeps telling me that he is going to take the baby and that there is nothing that me or my family can do about it. He also called last night and left a voicemail...

Sole custody and reversing [ 1 Answers ]

I have posted about sole custody before, but this is a little different... my ex has temporary sole custody of our child, and my rights are reserved... I called the court house and they said I could submit a motion to change it, so I did fill out the paperwork, how likely is it that I can get this...

Sole custody [ 4 Answers ]

The father of my daughter is a sneaky bastard, anyhow I just found out he is taking her to greece and my not come back... he has sole custody and they say I have no rights to my daughter... they say they are reserved... I can't afford an attorney and live in another state... anyone have any advice

View more questions Search