Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Omee Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 30, 2007, 05:48 AM
    Windows password workaround
    Hello everyone,

I have a prob and don't know how to put it clearly... anyway.. heres a try: My friends computer is not booting properly.. halfway through... it is saying NTLDR missing.. I checked the cd drive and floppy... both empty.. so I decided to format it... now since I need to recover the data from his hd.. I took out the hd from his comp and put it in mine to create a backup of the data on my hd... ok now the prob is that he has a password on startup.. cause he has a separate account on the comp and his sis has a separate account... soo now I can access the hd but I can't get into the folder "michael" (his name and also the account name)... it says "access is denied to this folder" all other folders I can access... but he has all the data in this folder... I even know the password.. but it doesn't ask for a password.. as a result I can't access it.. soo any help on how to get in the folder is greatly appreciated... thanks.. and if anyone need any clarification.. I will gladly provide it... thanks in advance.. regards.. omar
    benn11 Posts: 1,036, Reputation: 43
    Ultra Member

Apr 30, 2007, 08:31 AM
    Why don't you log in his account before logging in your own account?
    Omee Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 30, 2007, 08:56 AM
    Lolzz... I think that you didn't uderstand properly... I took out the hd from his comp and put it as a slave in my comp... so his windows doesn't work... my comp starts MY windows since I didn't remove MY hd.. I just added his in my comp... so when I am trying to open his folder from.. it says access is denied... I just want some program of some sort that will open the folder for me... thats all.. but thanks for the answer
    sky_is_grey Posts: 14, Reputation: 2

Apr 30, 2007, 06:37 PM
    You have two choices:
    1. try a blank pasword
    2. try the administrator password in safe mode.
    Northwind_Dagas Posts: 348, Reputation: 83

Apr 30, 2007, 07:00 PM
    You didn't state the operating system, so I'll assume Win XP.

If you have Win XP Professional Edition, you need to disable simple file sharing. Open My Computer, click on Tools, then Folder Options. Click on the View tab, then uncheck "Use Simple File Sharing (Recommended)".

Once disabled, you will be able to modify the security settings of the folder you are trying to access. Navigate to the folder, right-click and select Properties. Next, click the Security tab. Click on Add, type your account, and then click OK. Click OK again to close the Properties box. You should then have access to the folder.

If you have Win XP Home Edition, it will be more difficult to access the files. You'll find more information here about logging into safe mode as administrator: How to set, view, change, or remove file and folder permissions in Windows XP
    Tushars Posts: 26, Reputation: 1

May 9, 2007, 06:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Omee
    hello everyone,

I have a prob and dont know how to put it clearly...anyway..heres a try: My friends computer is not booting properly..halfway through ...it is saying NTLDR missing..i checked the cd drive and floppy...both empty..so i decided to format it...now since i need to recover the data from his hd..i took out the hd from his comp and put it in mine to create a backup of the data on my hd...ok now the prob is that he has a password on startup ..cause he has a seperate account on the comp and his sis has a seperate account...soo now i can access the hd but i can't get into the folder "michael" (his name and also the account name)...it says "access is denied to this folder" all other folders i can access...but he has all the data in this folder...i even know the password..but it dosent ask for a password..as a result i can't access it..soo any help on how to get in the folder is greatly appreciated...thanks..and if anyone need any clarification..i will gladly provide it...thanks in advance..regards..omar
    The best solution for this is, use windows backup and restore wizard to take your data backup. And use the same to restore your backup.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Windows 2000 password [ 1 Answers ]

I have a laptop running Windows 2000. It comes up with an administrator password prompt when it wakes up from "standby mode". I don't remember the administrator password (the laptop was given to me) - the former owner said he doesn't remember either. I set up another user in the user profiles...

Windows Password [ 1 Answers ]

How can I override a forgotten password for windows XP

Windows password [ 6 Answers ]

How to override windows password

Windows xp password [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, Have windows xp profetional and I set it to ask for log on password but I can not remember it now.how can I fix the problem. Not account password but log on windows password

Windows password [ 2 Answers ]

I'm running windows98. How do I find the password control panel.. I'll need to open this to get rid of the password prompt.. Its too annoying..

View more questions Search