Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Anayden Posts: 67, Reputation: 19

Apr 29, 2007, 04:23 PM
    Potty Train 21mths.
    Ok... back history... my daughter is almost 21mths now and seems interested in using the potty. Problem is she won't take off her diaper. When she was about 14-15 months she use to take off her diaper and I would scold her for it and so she stopped and that was the end of it. But now that she wants to learn to potty she is scared to take off her diaper now when she sits on the potty. How do I coax her back into taking it off, but at the right time? HELP!
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 29, 2007, 04:28 PM
    She is still rather young to understand the concept of going potty. Children this young typically do not understand the feeling that is involved with urinating and deficating.

If she is scared to take off her diaper, let her sit on the potty with her diaper on for a while. It won't harm anything.

Using the bathroom is one of the things that takes the longest to teach a child. Reading and writing are sometimes taught more quick than potty.

Let her do it on her own time. Remember, she won't go to kindergarten in a diaper. The more you force or coax a child, the more they will resist.

Just let her do it when she is ready. She will tell you when that time comes.
    Expert

Apr 29, 2007, 04:45 PM
    Sounds as though she may be getting close to being ready, but she has to learn the feeling before she goes. This is a great start though.

Just don't put any pressure on her. You may want to chart the times of day she goes poo poo and after about a week you should notice a pattern. Then about 5 minutes before the actual time, ask her if she has to go.

Apr 30, 2007, 12:36 PM
    I just noticed... what is it about the monkeys and frying pans? LoL.
    Expert

Apr 30, 2007, 12:39 PM
    Just an inside joke with some of us gals

Apr 30, 2007, 04:31 PM
    LoL. 2 Questions answered in one post! This site is awesome! LoL.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

3 yr old won't potty train [ 6 Answers ]

HI, I have a 3 year old son as well as a 9 month old son and a 10 year old daughter. I have been having a very difficult time trying to train him to go on the potty. I think I have tried about every pull up out there, even the one that goes cold when he goes, but all he did was laugh that it went...

Potty train for my shih tzu [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I got a 8 weeks old shih tzu. I work long hours so I plan to potty train him indoor. I use newspaper in the crate and he pees on it, but when I let him out, he won't do it but instead he pees on the carpet. Sometimes when I caught him when he need to go, so I put him on the paper he just...

How do I potty train my 9 month old cat? [ 2 Answers ]

My 9 month old cat potty's on everything! He knows how to use a litter box but I want him to go outside so I don't have a stinky litter box. So I put him outside after he eats and when I let him in he pottys on something. And I know he goes outside because lately he has been outside most of the...

How do I train my 5 month old Pomeranian not to go potty in the house? [ 2 Answers ]

A quick remedy for teaching my 5 month old Pomeranian, not to go potty in the house. I just bought him 2 days ago.

Potty Train Adult Dog and Breaking from Biting [ 3 Answers ]

We just adopted a beagle from the pound,she is aprox. 5yrs old I took her to the vet and other than needing a dental cleening she got a clean bill of health... The problem I am having is her sneeking around to soil in the house and I swear she soils more than she takes in... She has a crate ,she...

View more questions Search