Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dclynch Posts: 202, Reputation: 19

Mar 9, 2015, 10:14 AM
    Wireless control for overhead light?
    Hi,

I want to install an overhead light in a large room used as a closet. I can get power to the overhead, but there is no practical way to reach the area next to the door* where we would like a wall-mounted switch to go. I've read a bit about wireless controllers, but am not sure what I need.

Suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dennis

*(Incidentally, there is a light switch in that area that controls an outlet, so power is available at that location. We're using it to control a wall mounted fixture, but an overhead would be better. My wife will not consider a swag-type installation.)
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 9, 2015, 10:31 AM
    You and your wife should have fun browsing.

wireless ceiling light | eBay

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&page...eiling%20light

Search Results for ceiling lights at The Home Depot

Sears.com

Mar 9, 2015, 10:36 AM

I want a line powered light, not a battery powered light.
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 9, 2015, 11:16 AM
    Sorry, don't know where I got the wireless idea from :O

When you use the provided links just delete the wireless part and go with "ceiling lights"

More of this maybe?

http://www.lampsplus.com/products/cl...e_flush-mount/
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 9, 2015, 03:11 PM
    There are several options for doing what you want at most home centers in the electric switch section of the aisle. Remote Switches > Self-Powered Wireless Controls > Lighting Controls > Products from Leviton Electrical and Electronic Products

Mar 9, 2015, 05:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    There are several options for doing what you want at most home centers in the electric switch section of the aisle. Remote Switches > Self-Powered Wireless Controls > Lighting Controls > Products from Leviton Electrical and Electronic Products
    Thanks. No particular one to recommend?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Mar 9, 2015, 05:21 PM
    Can you get a cable from the wall mounted fixture to where you want the ceiling fixture?

Mar 9, 2015, 05:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hkstroud View Post
    Can you get a cable from the wall mounted fixture to where you want the ceiling fixture?
    No, but that's a good idea I didn't think of.

Part of the problem is that there is a chimney in the way of any normal route for wires. This is an old house with lath and plaster and unpredictable framing. I can get the power to the overhead through the attic, but no way to get from the o/h light to the desired switch location.

I've read about a variety of remotes, etc, most of which seem to be designed for overhead fans. I'm not sure which would be the best for this on/off non-sexy, but permanent application.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 9, 2015, 05:52 PM
    I have used the Levitron show in the image.

Mar 9, 2015, 08:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    I have used the Levitron show in the image.
    Thanks. I would not have guessed that one, but I will look closer and probably give it a try.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adding an overhead light [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to add overhead light in my kitchen by tapping onto an existing light. The problem is that the circuit is pretty loaded as it is now. If I switch all my existing lights on that circuit to LED do you think I could run another wire?

Light switch overhead light and plug in on wall which wires do I connect [ 8 Answers ]

Single light switch, single wall outlet,and single overhead light,which wires do I connect to control just the light with the wall switch

Wireless wall swith for overhead light [ 2 Answers ]

I have two entrance doors into a bedroom in the mobile home I live in. Only one entrance has a wall light switch to control the overhead light. Is there a wireless light switch I can use at the 2nd door to also turn the overhead light on and off?

Overhead light switch [ 1 Answers ]

How do I replace the overhead light switch on a l995 toyota camery

Overhead light replacement [ 1 Answers ]

I am remodeling a bedroom into an office. There is one main overhead light which will be inadequate for my new needs. I would like to put up track lighting to replace this overhead light. I am looking at the main box(wiring) having two sections come from each side, like a large line, and each...

View more questions Search