Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    snapdragon Posts: 74, Reputation: 4

Dec 15, 2014, 05:42 PM
    Any thoughts on separation before full break up?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 15, 2014, 05:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by snapdragon View Post
    Any thoughts on separation before full break up?
    How will he react?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Dec 15, 2014, 05:52 PM
    If you plan to get counseling and try to save the relationship then I'd do a separation until you're 100% sure that it either can't be fixed, or it can.

If you know that this isn't fixable, that nothing you can say or do will make this situation tolerable, then why prolong the inevitable, just go for the full break up.

This really depends on where you see this all going. Right now I think you still have some hope that this can be fixed, despite 13 years of evidence to the contrary. But that's easy for us to say, we haven't lived the 13 years of this relationship. You have. There does come a time where advice is just that, it's not written in stone.

Remember that we give advice based on what you write, what you tell us. There's no way for you to paint a vivid enough picture of the last 13 years for us to be able to tell you exactly what you need to do. We can offer insight, we can offer suggestions, but ultimately it's you that has to figure out what path you're going to take next.

Also remember that we're only getting your side of things. He has been silent in all of this, and I'm sure his side of the story would differ from yours, it always does. Above all, if you care at all about salvaging this relationship, you need to talk to him, tell him how you're feeling, tell him that you're not happy, tell him what you plan to do about it, and listen to his suggestions to fix things as well. But do have a plan in place. For instance, if counseling is a must have for you, and he says no, then be prepared to end it. If his getting a job and helping out is a must have, set a time limit for him to accomplish that, and if he doesn't meet the deadline you have to be prepared to walk away.

You have to make plans, you have to set limits, and ultimately you need to take control of your life.

Dec 15, 2014, 05:53 PM
    Umm, I feel like he would rather try that than give up right away. I work at a retirement home. All these people have been married for decades and makes me feel like there is so much more I can do before ending it. I'm about to get off work and go home to talk with my boyfriend, and I just wanted to know if it's a smart thing to suggest, and how it could help or make a situation worse.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 15, 2014, 05:56 PM
    Umm, I feel like he would rather try that than give up right away. I work at a retirement home. All these people have been married for decades and makes me feel like there is so much more I can do before ending it. I'm about to get off work and go home to talk with my boyfriend, and I just wanted to know if it's a smart thing to suggest, and how it could help or make a situation worse.
    As I had said earlier, YOU go alone, if he won't go with. And, yes, I'd tell him that I'm doing the counseling even without him, to get my head on straight.

Dec 15, 2014, 05:57 PM
    Thank you alty. As unhappy as I am, I know he is too. We've both made this relationship what it is and that's why I want to try a little harder. I have a few hard limits in place that am prepared to walk for.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Dec 15, 2014, 06:06 PM
    Thank you alty. As unhappy as I am, I know he is too. We've both made this relationship what it is and that's why I want to try a little harder. I have a few hard limits in place that am prepared to walk for.
    I think that's a good decision.

You've put 13 years into this relationship, no reason to give it up without a fight. But you do have to set boundaries, make a list of what you can continue to accept, what you want to fix, and what's a deal breaker, and then stick to that list, and don't be afraid to walk away if you can't be happy with what he's able to and willing to give you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What would you prefer.. Happy making 50K a year or unhappy making 100k a year [ 10 Answers ]

I have a job interview on 5/7/10 with a medical sales company and this is a question in know they will ask. How should I reply?

Ice maker not making cubes my ge profile ice cube maker has stopped making ice [ 1 Answers ]

Ice maker not making cubes my ge profile ice cube maker has stopped making ice

Making out too much ? [ 4 Answers ]

I've been going out with my boyfriend for 7 months now. Recently its been getting very physical. No not sex or oral sex. None of that whatsoever But, when we make out its hardout steamy french kissing making out. And it's the kind of physical like I'll be on top of him with my legs wrapped...

98 accord making clunking noise when making hard left turn [ 3 Answers ]

My 98 accord ia making a clunk, clunk, clunk sound when making hard left turns. It only does this with left turns a slow speed like making a u-turn. It actually seems to make the car bounce a little with each clunk. It is definitely not a clicking noise. I have just put a prelude h22 engine with...

Making a will [ 2 Answers ]

I have a will, but it needs to be updated? What is the cheapest and reputable way to do that? Thanks in advance.

View more questions Search