Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dwightw Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 15, 2014, 01:33 PM
    How do you remove the three spark plugs from the rear of a ford 2004 taruse
    What is the way to remove the three spark plugs from the rear of a 2004 Ford Taurus SE?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Apr 15, 2014, 01:51 PM
    Open the hood and remove the cover to the cabin air filter. Remove the three 5.5mm (7/32 inch) screws to the lower cowling and set it off to the side. This should provide lots of room for access. My advice is to only use the exact Motorcraft spark plugs that came in the car. In a pinch, Autolite plugs can be used. Buying a Gearwrench 80546 5/8-inch magnetic spark plug socket, which comes with a flexible 3-inch extension, will be a lifesaver. Remove the electrical connector from the COP, remove the 8mm hold-down bolt, and gently remove the COP. Clean the COP with silicone spray or WD-40. Gap the plug to spec. Lightly coat the porcelain portion of the plug and the top electrode with dielectric grease. Apply a very light coating of anti-seize compound to the spark plug threads, using a flux brush. Carefully install the plug and tighten to 96 lb.-in.
    RickMN Posts: 244, Reputation: 52

Apr 17, 2014, 11:41 AM
    Anti-seize is no longer recommended since most spark plugs have an anti-seize nickel coating on the threads. However if you do apply anti-seize, reduce torque by 10%.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Apr 17, 2014, 07:11 PM
    ASME convention calls for reducing torque specs 15 to 25%, when using a lubricant on threads. The above torque spec was adjusted accordingly. When I've asked several spark plug manufacturers (NGK and Autolite) about using or not using anti-seize compound on threads, they defer to the car manufacturer's recommendation--even on nickel threads. However, I agree with you that additional anti-seize should not be used on zinc chromate coated threads (it would be redundant); it should always be used, though, on black shell threads going into an aluminum block.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to replace spark plugs in 2004 taurus [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Taurus (2004 V6 3.0L engine) sedan that has not had plugs replaced for quite a while. Car has 88000 miles on it. Are they easy to replace or do they have locations that are impossible to reach? While I am at it should I replace their wires?

How to replace spark plugs on a 2004 Ford Taurus V6 [ 1 Answers ]

I really need to change the back spark plugs on my 2004 Ford Taurus. I have asked many people about it, and as many of you know about the transverse V6 Engine how nitoriously hard it is to get to the back three is very frustrating. What's the easiest way of doing them? I have been told, I need to...

How to remove oil from spark plugs. [ 13 Answers ]

I have a 2000 honda civic with a b16a in it. I bought new spark plugs an valve cover gasket set . But there is a puddle of oil in where the spark plugs are at an the plugs are still in . So what would be the best way to remove the oil...

View more questions Search