Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    davidadrian140 Posts: 124, Reputation: 2

Feb 23, 2014, 05:12 PM
    Heater hose fittings (plastic elbows)
    Hello. I have a 1999 Buick Park Avenue with the 3.8 series 2 motor. I had an antifreeze leak which looked like it was coming from the manifold gasket. But when I inspected further it seemed to be leaking from the plastic elbow that connects from the manifold to the tension pulley bracket. When I removed the tension pulley I noticed that the elbow that is located on the upper part of the tension pulley was broken. I checked inside the engine block to look for the other piece of the broken elbow but the only thing I found was the O ring. I double checked and still found nothing. So I replaced the both elbows. Now when I filled my car with antifreeze my low engine coolant comes on. My heater blows out cold. And my temperature gauge starts climbing all the way to the red area. Can anyone tell me what or how I can fix this problem?
    RickMN Posts: 244, Reputation: 52

Feb 23, 2014, 06:40 PM
    Sounds like you didn't bleed the air out of it.
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

Feb 23, 2014, 06:54 PM
    I'm not saying that this is the correct procedure for you vehicle (it does mention Buick Park Avenue) but the point is that you need to use the proper procedure for refilling your system. Do you have a reference?
    GM Pontiac Grand Prix Engine Coolant (Antifreeze) Change Guide - Picture Illustrated Automotive Maintenance Instructions
    davidadrian140 Posts: 124, Reputation: 2

Feb 23, 2014, 08:54 PM
    Well I went out to the garage and bled the cooling system. Turns out that was the problem. I have never heard of such a thing. You learn something new everyday. Thank you RickMn and smearcase for your help. This was very helpful.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Feb 24, 2014, 01:15 PM
    Not following the instructions on how to fill your cooling system, in your Owner's Manual, can cost you big bucks. I've seen it be directly responsible for warped heads and blown head gaskets.
    RickMN Posts: 244, Reputation: 52

Feb 24, 2014, 08:07 PM
    In late model cars with aerodynamic front ends, the radiator sits lower than the top of the engine. So you get air pockets in the top of the engine. That's why you need to bleed the system. Never happened in the good ol days because the top of the radiator was higher.

Pros use a vacuum tool for installing coolant. Pull a vacuum on the whole system and let the vacuum suck the coolant in. Repeat a few times and you get a full system that's self bled. Here's the tool

Quote Originally Posted by davidadrian140 View Post
    Well I went out to the garage and bled the cooling system. Turns out that was the problem. I have never heard of such a thing. You learn something new everyday. Thank you RickMn and smearcase for your help. This was very helpful.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My elbows began to get sore and now I'm tingling from elbows down to my finger tips [ 5 Answers ]

What does it mean when you elbows get sore and then you get tingling down to your finger tips

Plastic pipe brass fittings? [ 6 Answers ]

Can I use brass compression fittings with 15mm plastic pipe? Thanks!

Plastic compression fittings how to [ 3 Answers ]

Which is the proper orientation for a plastic compression ring? Large end towards the outlet pipe or into the compression nut?

Can Plastic drain pipes plugged into cast iron fittings? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi All, Can plastic drain pipes be plugged into iron drain pipe fittings? (I am actually not sure it is cast iron. It is Iron with rubber seals between iron pieces) I do not think I have enough space to use No-Hub connectors. I could probably easily unplug an existing 3" and an existing 2" iron...

Copper and plastic pipe for shower fittings [ 2 Answers ]

I need to install a new shower valve but have no experience sweating copper pipe. Is it possible to use one of the new plastic pipe materials/methods to connect? I would have to use plastic on both the inlet and outlet sides of the valve. Thanks in advance for any advice, thoughts, ideas.

View more questions Search