Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mauricee Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

May 8, 2013, 03:20 PM
    Cleaning hard water deposits in toilet bowl at water line.
    I have tried CLR. It is not working. I scrubbed vigorously with a brillo pad with little effect. The deposits are hardened and lumpy in a circle around the toilet bowl at the water line.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 8, 2013, 05:39 PM
    Uh oh. There are products that work, but it's too late - you ruined the porcelain with the steel wool brillo pad. Someone did that to my toilet before I bought my house, and although I can get off stains with various products (you have to empty the water out, apply, wait, and scrub with a 3M pad), they come right back in a few days because the porcelain is gone. It's a lot of work and not worth doing every 3 days so I just put a little bleach in the bowl every day to keep it down a bit.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

May 8, 2013, 05:41 PM
    Hi Mauricee

A wetted pumice stone using baking soda should make quick work of your mineral deposits. Check out this video for a quick idea of what I am talking about... pumice works on the hardest materials/stains AND WILL NOT scratch the porcelain:

The video starts a little odd, but presents useful information in the end!

Mark

May 8, 2013, 06:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    Uh oh. There are products that work, but it's too late - you ruined the porcelain with the steel wool brillo pad. Someone did that to my toilet before I bought my house, and although I can get off stains with various products (you have to empty the water out, apply, wait, and scrub with a 3M pad), they come right back in a few days because the porcelain is gone. It's a lot of work and not worth doing every 3 days so I just put a little bleach in the bowl every day to keep it down a bit.
    The porcelain does not appear to be damaged. I was concerned that it might get damaged so I proceeded carefully. Maybe it was the soap in the brillo pad that acted as a lubricant.

May 8, 2013, 06:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by massplumber2008 View Post
    Hi Mauricee

A wetted pumice stone using baking soda should make quick work of your mineral deposits. Check out this video for a quick idea of what I am talking about...pumice works on the hardest materials/stains AND WILL NOT scratch the porcelain:

The video starts out a little odd, but presents useful information in the end!

Mark
    I just got finished using a pumice stone that I had but no baking soda. It went slow but worked well. Thanks.
    current pert

May 8, 2013, 07:16 PM
    I wonder if it will work for me...
    Please answer back if it lasts more than a few days?
    scott53715 Posts: 165, Reputation: 10

May 8, 2013, 08:51 PM
    There are a number of commercial toilet bowl cleaners that work well. Try finding one at a janitorial supply house. Glossall products makes a great bowl cleaner. If you have scratch marks, like from a brillo pad, try a liquid rust remover!

May 9, 2013, 10:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    I wonder if it will work for me...
    Please answer back if it lasts more than a few days?
    My mineral deposits were hard and lumpy. I would imagine it will take more than a few days for them to build up again. The pumice stone will clear them. Keeping the build up from recurring is probably just a matter of maintenance.

May 9, 2013, 10:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by scott53715 View Post
    There are a number of commercial toilet bowl cleaners that work well. Try finding one at a janitorial supply house. Glossall products makes a great bowl cleaner. If you have scratch marks, like from a brillo pad, try a liquid rust remover!!
    This is not just about cleaning a toilet. Hard water causes mineral deposit buildup that is not simply scrubbed away.
    current pert

May 9, 2013, 10:34 AM
    I live in a high mineral area. After I bought my house a year ago, I bought a $1300 Pelican hi-tech water softener, which has proved to be everything they say it is. Small, uses no electricity, needs no bags of salt, needs no maintenance. (My toilet problems were here when I moved in.)

May 10, 2013, 07:27 AM
    Pumice will scratch the finish of a toilet! Acids, like hydrofluoric, or muriatic, will dissolve lime quickly. Just don't let them stand too long. To drop the level of water in the bowl to make cleaning easier, simply get a small bucket of water and pour it down the bowl. The water level will drop. This makes sponging out the water easier if you are removing the toilet too. Find a good commercial cleaner like I've already suggested. I know this will do it, with little effort!
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

May 10, 2013, 09:01 AM
    Take regular household Vinegar, put it in spray bottle and spray it twice a day inside the bowl. Don't flush. Let Vinegar work for an hour or two. Before you flush, take a brush and scrub well the area in question. Repeat next day. Depending how bad it is - it could take several days to get rid off it completely. Then, make it a habit to apply Vinegar once a week before you go to sleep. Let sit overnight. Your toilets will be sparkling clean.

You cannot "ruin" porcelain with steel wool. Those steel wool marks will come off too.

Back to you / Milo
    Senior Plumbing Expert

May 10, 2013, 09:35 AM
    Pumice will NOT scratch the porcelain finish of the toilet Scott... have you ever tried a pumice stone? As much as you might think it would scratch the surface it is almost impossible to scratch porcelain! This is how they've been cleaning toilets for decades before they came out with CLR and other fancy calcium/lime/rust removers!

Mark

May 11, 2013, 10:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by massplumber2008 View Post
    Pumice will NOT scratch the porcelain finish of the toilet Scott...have you ever tried a pumice stone? As much as you might think it would scratch the surface it is almost impossible to scratch porcelain!! This is how they've been cleaning toilets for decades before they came out with CLR and other fancy calcium/lime/rust removers!!

Mark
    Pumice is a neat volcanic rock. Rub it over a piece of glass and see what it eventually does. It is an abrasive. Maybe, besides the fact that old toilets use 3.5 ~ more that 5 gallons per flush, that is why old toilets are hard to clean and get thrown away.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

May 11, 2013, 01:49 PM
    I don't have to rub it over glass... been rubbing it over porcelain toilets and sinks for decades now and never had a bad result yet... ;) Heck, they still sell the pumie stick (100% pumice stone... see pic.) everyday!

With that being said, a pumice stone in the wrong hands could certainly lead to damage... can definitely see that happening, too!
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet bowl problems - tank water is fine; bowl water is not [ 3 Answers ]

Ok - so many posts here, it's mind blowing. Here's exactly what's happening - tank is filling up just fine... water stopping exactly 1/2" under overflow tube. Flapper is shutting perfectly - no water leaking. It's the bowl water that's messed up. Toilet has been working perfectly for 12 years. ...

Toilet bowl that won't hold water, started with slow toilet, now non flushing [ 1 Answers ]

What started as a slow toilet, now non flushing except 1-2 times in morning, has turned into a toilet bowl that won't hold water but the tank still does. The tub is first on the line, then the toilet, then 30' to septic tank. Snaked through the vent, got a lot of greasy goo, but still toilet...

Hard water line sputters - soft water line does not [ 2 Answers ]

Neighbor came over asking for help. They have soft water throughout the house and hard water to the outside spigots. I stood on their basement steps and watched as he turned on a spigot in the basement hooked to the soft water line and then he went outside and turned on a hose attached to the hard...

Water leakage + toilet bowl water level [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have a new house (1.5years old) and I recently noticed water leakage from the ceiling just below the master bathroom on the 2nd floor. I called the home builders (I have warranty on this house) and they said they could not find any leaks and that it happened because of improper usage. I am...

View more questions Search