Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    withhope2010 Posts: 47, Reputation: 1

Dec 8, 2012, 03:59 PM
    Burning hot radiators. Opinions on using aluminum foil to cover them as a solution?
    I live in an upper duplex. The house is so hot because the radiators are burning hot. :( I understand heat rises. The downstairs tenent is a senior, and she is always cold and tells me that her house is always feeling cold.
    A plumber suggested that I take aluminum foil and tape it onto the outside of the
    Radiators entirely, to cover the little slots. I have followed his instructions, but, I am still finding it extremely hot. (the system has water in the radiators, and was changed from a furnace to electric heating, but using the same radiators)

Does covering the radiators with aluminum foil really supposed to make the room less hot? I would greatly appreciate any explanations, i.e. if it is supposed to become less hot... how does this work? Where does the heat go?

Also, are there any other solutions? Thanks.
    Grady White Posts: 1,417, Reputation: 59
    Ultra Member

Dec 8, 2012, 06:45 PM
    If these are cast iron radiators, the foil won't do much. If the radiation is copper tube with fins on it, wrapping the fins with foil will certainly cut down on the heat.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

OUCH-The radiators are burning HOT! [ 0 Answers ]

I live in an upper duplex (which is approximately 50-55 yrs. Old), in Canada. Now that winter is here, the heating is on regularly. Recently, my Parents (who live downstairs), had the heating system changed over from oil to electric. The companies involved removed the very old oil system...

How to find the thickness of aluminum foil in atoms? [ 1 Answers ]

mass 0.49g density 2.70g/cm^3 size of alumminum atom is 2.5*10^8cm length=12 cm width =12cm

Aluminum foil in locked cabinet at store [ 1 Answers ]

Why are all the boxes of aluminum foil in a locked cabinet at my local store?

My dog just ate aluminum foil [ 3 Answers ]

She just did. It wasn't a big piece I don't think. She was outside and I think she was just licking it and when I came out she swallowed like a 2x2 inch piece. What should do?

Determine the thickness of aluminum foil. [ 1 Answers ]

Question: Determine the thickness ( in cm) of a rectangular piece of aluminum foil that is 17.0 inches long and 3.0 inches wide, with a mass of 2.21 grams. The density of aluminum is 2.70 ( g/ cm^3 I need to see the complete problem broken down to understand how to do this problem! I am stuck...

View more questions Search