Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kill Switch Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 20, 2007, 10:29 PM
    Washing Machine below sewer grade?
    I am wanting to move my washing machine down stairs, but the main sewer lines are all above. The lowest point is just 2' below the upper floor and about 50' total away. I'm on a slab so I can't run pipes to my craw space. I have done some research and found a system that would work by Saniflo called the Sanibest. Here is what they have to say about it- Sanibest toilet –

Recommended for intensive use

While most of our range are basically shredders, the Sanibest incorporates an actual grinder system. The Sanibest is ideal for situations where you do not control the use of it; i.e. rental unit, offices, warehouses, etc. Sanibest is designed to deal with sanitary articles that may have been flushed down the toilet by accident. It can be used with a round bowl or elongated bowl. Note: in commercial installations Code requires an elongated bowl.

Sanibest is a system that is used to install a complete bathroom up to 18 feet below the sewer line, or even up to 150 feet away from a soil stack. The toilet uses only 6 liters (1.6 USG) of water per flush. The Sanibest is simplicity itself to install; there are just four connections.

* The macerating pump is connected to the spigot of a horizontal outlet toilet.
    * The toilet tank is connected to the water supply.
    * The macerating pump is connected to the small diameter discharge pipe work.
    * The macerating pump is connected to the electrical supply.

The Sanibest macerating system comprises a pressure chamber, which starts and stops the unit, and the motor, which drives the stainless steel macerator blades and pump. To learn more about the macerating process please refer to What is a macerator? A normal operating cycle for Sanibest takes about 10–20 seconds depending upon the discharge pipe run configuration; power consumption is therefore minimal.

Use Sanibest for additional fixtures or appliances

In addition to the toilet waste, Sanibest will also discharge gray wastewater from a variety of other sanitary fixtures, such as: a hand basin, a bath, a bidet, a urinal and even a clothes washer (Note: washing machine must drain to a laundry sink or tub first). When adding a bathtub or shower, a base will have to be constructed made of 2" x 6" on edge (or 2" x 8" is recommended, if you have sufficient headroom). This allows for the installation of a P-trap and some gravity flow towards the pump unit.

The wastewater from other sanitary fixtures is discharged into Sanibest via two 1½-inch inlets, on either side of the housing. Either one or both inlets can be used as required. The discharge elbow on top of the Sanibest can be turned either to the left or to the right, depending on the discharge installation.

The Sanibest is designed to provide vertical pumping up to 18 feet as well as a horizontal discharge, therefore a simple ball non-return valve is incorporated. This allows you to install a complete bathroom where previously this would have been impossible or where considerable capital equipment and structural work would have been necessary.

Now comes the problem, my wife doesn't like the idea of having to drain to a laundry sink or tub first. Because this system has a toilet and you can run a shower and washbasin it was a bonus. So is there something else out there that would work or something I could do to use this system and not have a pipe from the washing machine hanging of the laundry sink. Please Help in Oregon.
    mike1 Posts: 3, Reputation: 0

Mar 20, 2007, 10:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Kill Switch
    I am wanting to move my washing machine down stairs, but the main sewer lines are all above. The lowest point is just 2' below the upper floor and about 50' total away. I'm on a slab so I can't run pipes to my craw space. I have done some research and found a system that would work by Saniflo called the Sanibest. Here is what they have to say about it- Sanibest toilet –

recommended for intensive use

While most of our range are basically shredders, the Sanibest incorporates an actual grinder system. The Sanibest is ideal for situations where you do not control the use of it; i.e. rental unit, offices, warehouses, etc. Sanibest is designed to deal with sanitary articles that may have been flushed down the toilet by accident. It can be used with a round bowl or elongated bowl. Note: in commercial installations Code requires an elongated bowl.

Sanibest is a system that is used to install a complete bathroom up to 18 feet below the sewer line, or even up to 150 feet away from a soil stack. The toilet uses only 6 liters (1.6 USG) of water per flush. The Sanibest is simplicity itself to install; there are just four connections.

* The macerating pump is connected to the spigot of a horizontal outlet toilet.
    * The toilet tank is connected to the water supply.
    * The macerating pump is connected to the small diameter discharge pipe work.
    * The macerating pump is connected to the electrical supply.

The Sanibest macerating system is comprised of a pressure chamber, which starts and stops the unit, and the motor, which drives the stainless steel macerator blades and pump. To learn more about the macerating process please refer to What is a macerator? A normal operating cycle for Sanibest takes about 10–20 seconds depending upon the discharge pipe run configuration; power consumption is therefore minimal.

Use Sanibest for additional fixtures or appliances

In addition to the toilet waste, Sanibest will also discharge gray wastewater from a variety of other sanitary fixtures, such as: a hand basin, a bath, a bidet, a urinal and even a clothes washer (Note: washing machine must drain to a laundry sink or tub first). When adding a bathtub or shower, a base will have to be constructed made out of 2" x 6" on edge (or 2" x 8" is recommended, if you have sufficient headroom). This allows for the installation of a P-trap and some gravity flow towards the pump unit.

The wastewater from other sanitary fixtures is discharged into Sanibest via two 1½-inch inlets, on either side of the housing. Either one or both inlets can be used as required. The discharge elbow on top of the Sanibest can be turned either to the left or to the right, depending on the discharge installation.

The Sanibest is designed to provide vertical pumping up to 18 feet as well as a horizontal discharge, therefore a simple ball non-return valve is incorporated. This allows you to install a complete bathroom where previously this would have been impossible or where considerable capital equipment and structural work would have been necessary.

Now comes the problem, my wife doesn't like the idea of having to drain to a laundry sink or tub first. Because this system has a toilet and you can run a shower and washbasin it was a bonus. So is there something else out there that would work or something I could do to use this system and not have a pipe from the washing machine hanging of the laundry sink. Please Help in Oregon.
    Sounds to me you would be better off forget moving washer lol .
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 21, 2007, 06:42 AM
    Do you really have a good place to run pipes? That Sanibest system really sounds like over kill. If you used a large enough pipe, say 1 1/2'' or 2'' the washer pump should be capable of the 50' horizontal. You could then fit a stand pipe or connect the line directly to the drain. You would need a vented trap somewhere in the system.
    doug238 Posts: 1,560, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Mar 21, 2007, 10:00 PM
    Zoellner makes a discharge pump that can handle the flow rate of a typical washing machine. It costs about 400 bucks. You can use it in a typical sump basin and pipe it into your system.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New washing machine causing sewer back up? [ 8 Answers ]

Just under a month ago, my Mom and step-father gifted us with a new washer and dryer. The washer we had was approximately 13-14 years old, and while working mostly fine, I think was probably on it's last legs. While using the old washer, we would (for the last several months) have to shut it...

Washing Machine makes grinding noise when washing [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Maytag Performa washing machine - about 5 years old. It makes a grinding noise when washing. Spin cycle is still quiet. Any suggestions about what to check?

Sewer odor after using washing machine [ 9 Answers ]

We started having problems with sewer odor in our conjoined bathroom/laundry room after using the washing machine. The plumber who came out to help didn't see any problems, but recommended my husband start pulling insulation off the drain pipes to look for a crack. We live in AK and it is 20 below...

Sewer odor from kitchen sink when washing machine discharges [ 1 Answers ]

Here goes... When the washing machine discharges water, I get a strong sewer smell from the kitchen sink. 1. Washing machine is located in the basement and empties into a utility sink. 2. Both kitchen sink drain and utility sink drain enter into the same cast iron pipe located in the concrete...

View more questions Search