Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    millec Posts: 28, Reputation: 5

Mar 16, 2007, 01:46 PM
    Does my baby's father have rights?
    I have son whose father is $21,000 dollars behind in child support. He does nothing for the child nor does he spend time with the child. He was not at the hospital when my son was born, so therefore his name was not put on the birth certificate. He has never denied my son so therefore a paternity test has never been done. Any time I speak with him he talks about his "rights" to see his son (even though he makes no effort to see him) and get upset when I say "you have no rights". He does not pay child support any more, he did not sign the birth certificate, he's never requested a paternity test. DOES HE HAVE ANY RIGHTS?
    Squiffy Posts: 499, Reputation: 84

Mar 16, 2007, 01:50 PM
    He as rights as the father of the child, regardless of whether he pays child support or not. What those rights are would be up to a judge to decide, if he tried to get difficult. If he wants to be a part of your sons life let him, he may not deserve to see his son, but in time his son deserves to see him, regardless of what a deadbeat dad he is. If he isn't interested though, which seems to be the case, don't worry, at the end of the day it is he who will miss out on the best job in the world-being a good parent.
    millec Posts: 28, Reputation: 5

Mar 16, 2007, 02:03 PM
    One thing I failed to mention is that my son is 11, he no longer wants to see his father because during the most important times in his life (so far) when he wanted him there he's never been there. My son is very active in sports, football, basketball & baseball, since the age of 6. I can count on one hand how many games he has been to. And not to mention all the hours my son has spent waiting on his father to pick him up after he promised he would but did not show. My son thinks his dad don't like him. So its at a point now that my son don't even like him and is quick to tell you that. So I don't want to "force" my son to spend any time with him with him feeling that way. But he (the father) says it don't matter because he has his rights.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 16, 2007, 06:28 PM
    The father still has rights, now what the mother needs to do is go back to court and try and reduce any visitation the father can have, make it supervised, or restricted in some way.

Also she needs to take him back to court for enforcement of the child support, ( He not paying child support does not take away his rights either, but does not help his case in court)

But the father is right, he is entitled to every right the child custody agreement gave him. ( and assuming he owes child support there is a child custody agreement in place)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

So you mean I'm a new father with no rights? [ 8 Answers ]

My ex-girlfriend just gave birth last Thursday to a baby girl which I believe is mine. She is very manupulative, and yesterday told me never to call or come by again. All through her stay at the hospital, no one, not a single nurse or caregiver would even speak to me - in fact they were more...

Father Rights [ 4 Answers ]

My child's father has only seen her once in her whole life, that was the day after she was born. She is now 6. Is that a long enough time to get his rights taken away?

Father/grandparents rights [ 4 Answers ]

My son is 20 years old and his girlfriend is 2 months pregenant and their much confusion "Brenda" who is 18 was raised by her grandparents because her mother died a month after she was born due to blood clot. Her Mothers parent did not care for her dad which was married to there daughter. Brenda...

Emancipating my Father rights [ 2 Answers ]

I have three children with my ex-wife, she does not let me see my children when I am scheduled to be with them. I have partial custody. Lawyer fees are outragous to keep fighting to see them , when I know I have the right to, she wants me to sign over all my rights to her. It was a hard decision...

Terminate Father Rights In Ca. [ 11 Answers ]

HI, I want to know what are the steps to sign my child over to her mom. My daughter is going to turn 7 years-old in January, her mom has called cps 100 times, all allegation were unfound it, they said my new wife was slapping my kid, they say that my step son was touching her in the privates...

View more questions Search