Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Azeezr Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 9, 2012, 06:36 PM
    How else can I handle my daughter
    My daughter is 20 years old and has been arrested for possession of marijuana. She is rude and disrespectful to me and her stepfather and feels she can talk to us any way she wants to. I told her she needs to go knowing she doesn't have any place to stay. I don't know what else to do
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

May 9, 2012, 07:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Azeezr View Post
    My daughter is 20 years old and has been arrested for possession of marijuana. She is rude and disrespectful to me and her stepfather and feels she can talk to us any way she wants too. I told her she needs to go knowing she doesn't have any place to stay. I don't know what else to do
    Have her evicted from the house... a healthy dose of reality will shape her up... and give you both the peace you deserve in your own house.

It IS your house... and she's not a baby any more. Time for tough love.
    Chardel Posts: 93, Reputation: 13

May 9, 2012, 07:41 PM
    I agree, time for some tough love. She, in all respects is an adult, she wants to take on the actions of an adult then she needs to take on the consequences of an adult. Unfortunate as it may be the possession charge is not going to go away, she is going to have to deal with that for a very long time.
    This may be the hardest thing you will ever have to do but for her to gain some perspective on the importance of family you are going to have to be tough about her attitude. You are not her slave, door mat or punching bag, you are her Mom, a woman, an adult yourself who deserves to be treated with respect. Remember when she was little and did something that was against the rules, remember how you felt dishing out the consequences for those actions... this is going to be 10 times harder. But just as the discipline was needed then, it is needed now. Let her know that you love her too much to allow her to treat you this way, you love her but your don't like her very much right now. And that is OK! Hopefully along with a healthy dose of reality she will realize that you are a person and she will apologize. Maybe not tomorrow but sometime in the future... It worked for my son hopefully it will work for you.
    3kidsnadog Posts: 9, Reputation: 5

May 10, 2012, 03:20 PM
    Hi there! This is a toughie... I'm sorry for the rough patch you're having with your daughter. I would agree with the other posters... tough love and some boundaries are probably necessary here. There's an online article from my workplace (Focus on the Family), that has some practical steps for establishing boundaries with adult children... perhaps you might get some tips there? I know this is super hard for you, and will be praying for you as you figure out what to do... hang in there!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I snapped the tip off the shower handle. Unable to screw new handle. It's a symmons [ 3 Answers ]

I have a symmons shower faucet. While removing the old shower handle I snapped the tip off where you screw the handle on. There is no way to attach the new shower handle. Help

How to handle my Teenage daughter with dangerous behavior [ 31 Answers ]

I have searched many sites looking for information on my daughter and how to handle her behavior. It seems as though our situation is not unique, but it is most definitely very, very serious. Allow me to summarize: My daughter is 17. Will be 18 in 5 months. After years and years and years...

How I handle my daughter? [ 2 Answers ]

Dear Sir, How I can take my daughter study?

How to handle a future daughter in law who is going way overboard on her wedding [ 4 Answers ]

Our futures daughter in law is planning a reception that is way to expensive how do we get her to tone it down

View more questions Search