Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    web1894 Posts: 23, Reputation: 3

May 8, 2012, 03:11 PM
    Problems with getting my Pup fixed
    I thought I would get some advice on my sweet pup Delilah. She got fixed at the vet preferred by the humane society (I'm not sure where) Anyway whoever did it sucked and obviously didn't care. Where her incision is there feels like she has stitched on the inside for her belly.. Its bumpy and very noticeable I can't take her back to the vet until the end of this month because of her previous case of parvo and even then she can't go inside. I have to bring her to after hours and stay outside in the car. I know its not serious because she's not in pain or anything when I touch it. I just hope its not stitches that were supposed to be removed and no one cared to tell me! I just want an opinion.. Has anyone else ever seen this? Here's an attached picture.
    Thank You :)

May 8, 2012, 03:28 PM
    Here are the pics
    Attached Images

LadySam Posts: 1,589, Reputation: 322
    Cats Expert

May 8, 2012, 04:02 PM
    If done properly, she should in fact have internal sutures to close the layers that had to be incised in order to get to the uterus. From the pictures I don't detect any drainage or redness.
    That is a good thing. Depending on the size of the suture they used and how the knots were tied I suppose you could get a suture line that looks like that. Although, I've never seen one.
    I don't know what to think about the, not letting her back into the clinics because of her Parvo. That is not anything I have ever heard of. Ever.
    Cats Expert

May 8, 2012, 04:16 PM
    Sorry, forgot to add that sometimes dogs can have what is called a suture reaction, that will cause the suture sight to look a little swollen. It is not a problem and usually subsides with time.

May 8, 2012, 04:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by LadySam View Post
    If done properly, she should in fact have internal sutures to close the layers that had to be incised in order to get to the uterus. From the pictures I don't detect any drainage or redness.
    That is a good thing. Depending on the size of the suture they used and how the knots were tied I suppose you could get a suture line that looks like that. Although, I've never seen one.
    I don't know what to think about the, not letting her back into the clinics because of her Parvo. That is not anything I have ever heard of. Ever.

She is completely healed :) They healed very nicely just bled a little once when she got rowdy.. I thought it was very odd that they looked that way. But she's my first pup on my own. (my parent always handled fixing the animals) So I wasn't too sure what to look for or expect. Its odd to me that its hard like tiny pebbles in a line I guess that's the best way I can describe it lol.. The reason they won't allow her back is because they don't have a quarantine area to keep sick dogs. From what they told me they don't want any other animals exposed because of parvo being so dangerous and deadly. (in other words to save their butts I guess) They still are giving her another booster but we can't go inside. They are moving to a new location by June (when the following visit will be) so perhaps that's why they are moving? I'm not sure... I do know they couldn't treat Delilah for parvo in their office (because of the quarantine thing) But we did home treatment for that. I just want to make sure she's OK. It really doesn't seem to bother her at all though lol Just her worry wart Momma!! :)
    A little add on here: The vet I am taking her to is not the same that spayed her.
    Cats Expert

May 8, 2012, 04:32 PM
    You are probably feeling the knots in the internal or subcue stitches.
    I get that if they don't have a quarantine area, but not to allow her in the building, I'm sorry I don't get that. That's why we have parvocidal cleaners, to clean all surfaces.
    And given that parvo is such a hardy virus, survives in some climates in the soil for years.
    The odds that they and their clients and tracking it in every day on their shoes is pretty high.
    Not really questioning what you have been told, just don't understand the logic behind it.

May 8, 2012, 04:40 PM
    You are probably feeling the knots in the internal or subcue stitches.
    I get that if they don't have a quarantine area, but not to allow her in the building, I'm sorry I don't get that. Thats why we have parvocidal cleaners, to clean all surfaces.
    And given that parvo is such a hardy virus, survives in some climates in the soil for years.
    The odds that they and their clients and tracking it in every day on their shoes is pretty high.
    Not really questioning what you have been told, just don't understand the logic behind it.
    Oh OK got it! :) I'm not sure why they are doing any of it but a good friend of mine has used them for years and said they were awesome. And they are reasonable. But I'm not sure how educated they are on parvo. I had the girl that treated Delilah in her home treatment tell me that if I wanted to prevent parvo from spreading in my yard to pick up her feces and spray the area with the antibacterial proportions of bleach and water. When I asked my vet they said no. But I kept doing it anyway. I'm not sure how long though. They said complete shedding of the virus takes about a month. That it can depend on the dog. I know what you mean though about the office visit. We were there just a week before and I know that parvo is dormant. So wouldn't have we spread it around anyway when we didn't know she was sick?
    Cats Expert

May 8, 2012, 04:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by web1894 View Post
    Oh ok got it! :) I'm not sure why they are doing any of it but a good friend of mine has used them for years and said they were awesome. And they are reasonable. But I'm not sure how educated they are on parvo. I had the girl that treated Delilah in her home treatment tell me that if I wanted to prevent parvo from spreading in my yard to pick up her feces and spray the area with the antibacterial proportions of bleach and water. When I asked my vet they said no. But I kept doing it anyways. I'm not sure how long tho. They said complete shedding of the virus takes about a month. That it can depend on the dog. I know what you mean tho about the office visit. We were there just a week before and I know that parvo is dormant. So wouldn't have we spread it around anyways when we didn't know she was sick?
    Yes, the incubation time is 7-10 days approximately. Which is precisely why I don't get it.
    Because the virus is so hardy it is virtually impossible to keep it out of a particular environment, the key is cleaning.
    By all means continue to clean and pick up poop, there is no harm in that.
    If your friend trusts them and says they are awesome, then I would stick with them, perhaps it's just a case of being overly cautious.

May 8, 2012, 06:55 PM
    Yes, the incubation time is 7-10 days approximately. Which is precisely why I don't get it.
    Because the virus is so hardy it is virtually impossible to keep it out of a particular environment, the key is cleaning.
    By all means continue to clean and pick up poop, there is no harm in that.
    If your friend trusts them and says they are awesome, then I would stick with them, perhaps it's just a case of being overly cautious.
    I'm glad to hear someone say its not a waste like my vet pretty much said. I'm new to all of this.. What do you mean incubation time? Like away from any/ all dogs? How long should I continue to clean up like I have been? I hope that is the case.. Which I do think it is.. But I found it a little odd I'm glad someone else sees it too!
    Cats Expert

May 9, 2012, 03:30 AM
    Incubation time refers to the time that the virus enters the body until the time the pup starts to show signs of being sick , some may start showing signs a bit sooner. I think (emphasis on the think) the virus is shed in the stool for 2-4 weeks after infection, so I think that cleaning is a good idea, indoors and outdoors.
    And because you have a parvo survivor, unvaccinated pups should not visit your home until they have had their full set of vaccines, play dates are fun but risky before that.
    Disinfecting and vaccines are best to deal with parvo prevention, but I think you have that, so I may just be staing the obvious to you now.
    paleophlatus Posts: 459, Reputation: 112

May 9, 2012, 09:57 PM
    The bumps you feel along her suture line are knots in the sutures closing her incision through the abdominal wall (not the skin). They are just due to the vet's particular choice of material to sew her closed with. Often it is a permanent material, meaning it will not disappear or dissolve. Some surgeons leave little to doubt and use very fine stainless steel wire for the material. Another option is a resorbable suture material. In order that it not dissolve too soon, some surgeons use a heavier diameter material, which makes larger knots. Things like this always feel larger than they really are, and are neither damaging nor uncomfortable to the animal.

As she gets older, she will develop a thin layer of subcutaneous fat on her belly that will further mask any remaining bumps (if any).

As for Parvo, she should also develop an excellent immunity to it, which will protect her against any chance of reinfection on her own property, and quite probably any other place. Current veterinary thought is that this immunity is long lasting, quite probably lifetime.

May 10, 2012, 03:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by paleophlatus View Post
    The bumps you feel along her suture line are knots in the sutures closing her incision through the abdominal wall (not the skin). They are just due to the vet's particular choice of material to sew her closed with. Often it is a permanent material, meaning it will not disappear or dissolve. Some surgeons leave little to doubt and use very fine stainless steel wire for the material. Another option is a resorbable suture material. In order that it not dissolve too soon, some surgeons use a heavier diameter material, which makes larger knots. Things like this always feel larger than they really are, and are neither damaging nor uncomfortable to the animal.

As she gets older, she will develop a thin layer of subcutaneous fat on her belly that will further mask any remaining bumps (if any).

As for Parvo, she should also develop an excellent immunity to it, which will protect her against any chance of reinfection on her own property, and quite probably any other place. Current veterinary thought is that this immunity is long lasting, quite probably lifetime.

Thank You that clears it up! :) Just making sure that it is a normal thing or if I needed to worry.. I didn't think it was bothering her just me because I worry about her a lot due to everything we have been through! Thanks again for your help :)

May 10, 2012, 03:13 AM
    Incubation time refers to the time that the virus enters the body until the time the pup starts to show signs of being sick , some may start showing signs a bit sooner. I think (emphasis on the think) the virus is shed in the stool for 2-4 weeks after infection, so I think that cleaning is a good idea, indoors and outdoors.
    And because you have a parvo survivor, unvaccinated pups should not visit your home until they have had their full set of vaccines, play dates are fun but risky before that.
    Disinfecting and vaccines are best to deal with parvo prevention, but I think you have that, so I may just be staing the obvious to you now.
    Thank You Lady Sam for all your advice! You have helped so much with clearing things up. :) I haven't had her in any public places or outside of the yard. I have kept her quarantined the best I possibly can! I would never want anyone to have to deal with this illness. She was lucky.. she made it and was strong and big enough to live through it. Not all puppies are that lucky I know that. I just want her to have a happy long life and be comfortable and have all she needs! She's our "baby" and I love her beyond words! :) Thank You again!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My dog bit the cord off twice of pup and pup died [ 7 Answers ]

My dog gave birth to a puppy that came feet first, the pup an over grown tongue and she bite the cord off and then bit it off again and the puppy bled to death. Why would she do this.

Apartment maintenance problems, never fixed [ 4 Answers ]

I'm just wondering what I should do here. We are about to move out of our current apartment and there are 2 maintenance issues that our landlord has not resolved in the past year. Approximately 1 year ago we mentionned to our landlords that one of the carpets was separated from the trim pieces...

10 mo old pup with problems [ 5 Answers ]

Hello everyone I recently rescued a Pit Bull puppy about 4 months ago and am having a lot of problems with her toilet habits. She will intentionally back her butt up to an object and poop on it. She does have diarrhea and I am currently consulting at vet about it and trying to solve this...

Beagle pup problems [ 2 Answers ]

We have a beagle pup that is going on eleven weeks. He is doing well with house training but we can't get him to sleep when we want to sleep. He wants to stay up and play all night. We have tried keeping him up in the evening and playing with him so he will be tired. My boyfriend is getting...

View more questions Search