Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pinkflowers Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Apr 30, 2012, 11:38 AM
    Can an Aunt get Visitations to see her Niece ?
    My brother has moved out of State - the child lives in my State - my brother pays his child support every month - how can ME as an Aunt get to see her ?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 30, 2012, 11:39 AM
    A court will not grant visitation to an aunt. So unless the parents allow you to see her, you are probably out of luck.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 30, 2012, 11:40 AM
    So who/where is she living? Can't you just go to her residence and ring the bell or are we missing some background info?
    pinkflowers Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Apr 30, 2012, 11:44 AM
    The child lives w/ her MOM - last time my sister went she called the Cops on her to make her get off her property ! She is a very mad mom - never thought she would get a divorce from our brother ! Sad deal... you think the MOM would LOVE for her to visit & spend time w/ her !
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 30, 2012, 11:49 AM
    If mom will not allow you to visit that is pretty much the end of the story. You have no legal standing to force visitation.
    vcirish8 Posts: 10, Reputation: 0

Apr 30, 2012, 11:55 AM
    I'm not too sure that you don't have any rights. I would call the family court system in your area and ask. If the relationship you and your niece have is beneficial to your niece than a judge just may grant some type of allowed visitation. Especially if your niece is older like 10yrs or older because she can speak for herself then. So don't take everyone's word on here and definitely take the time to call your family court system. Good luck!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 30, 2012, 01:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by vcirish8 View Post
    I'm not too sure that you don't have any rights. I would call the family court system in your area and ask. If the relationship you and your neice have is beneficial to your niece than a judge just may grant some type of allowed visitation. Especially if your niece is older like 10yrs or older because she can speak for herself then. So don't take everyones word on here and definately take the time to call your family court system. Good luck!
    Judges generally don't have that much leeway. I know of no place, especially in the US that codifies visitation other than parents or grandparents. If you have anything to back up your statement please produce it.

A court has almost no power to go against a mother's wishes even if there is an established relationship that benefits the child. But I guess it wouldn't hurt the OP to consult an attorney. A local attorney would know the local law. The Family court is unlikely to give legal advice.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can an aunt get visitation or custody of her niece? [ 4 Answers ]

My niece stayed primarily with me the 1st year of her life. Due to childcare issues at the time I had the mother take her half the week. Mom has always collected welfare on the child. I have never asked for any money from mom for her support. She is now 4yrs old. She stays with me anywhere from...

Can I get visitations with my niece and nephew if they are in foster care? [ 1 Answers ]

I have 1 niece and 4 nephews in foster care. I just found out that they were taken from their mom. I would love to take custody of them but unfortunately I don't have the room for all of them. I figure if I get to have visitations with them at least I can still be in their lives, and they can...

How do I get custody of my niece if I'm her aunt [ 2 Answers ]

How do I get custody of my niece if I am her aunt and both of her previous "legal guardians" have passed away and she wants to live with me? She is 10 years old and I would love to take over legal guardianship!

Uncle and Aunt want legal custody of niece [ 2 Answers ]

My 14 year old grandaughter has been living with my son and daughter-in-law in Florida for the past 4 months. (she lived with me for the 2 months proceeding that) both her mother and father signed papers (not through a court) giving my son guardianship. He is in the Navy and wants to get her on...

Visitations to see my niece [ 3 Answers ]

As an aunt do I have any rights to get court ordered visitation rights?

View more questions Search